philip thomas fb status | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

philip thomas fb status

You can't decide that winning is enough for everybody. It's clearly not. It's one part of it, but for some fans winning is just not enough.

I would hope that even with the winning that the product isn't up to your standards yet, because while we've won recently it has happened in some of the ugliest games ever witnessed.

Have some confidence in yourself. You're a catch. You can do better than ugly football. :cool:

We've lost some ugly games as well and I do prefer 14-0 in that time span and you're right, I am quite the catch.

Actually, I've never been to a movie like that. Anything that I thought stunk for 90 minutes ended up stinking the whole time. When I do go, I plan it for a time that works with my schedule. I had no control over the scheduling of this game (I've never missed the games that are on saturday during Labor Day weekend in the past). I had to be up early the next morning and had to make a decision. My frustration led me to determine that being awake and alert for the long friday I had ahead was more important than the game. Had this game been a friday or saturday game I would've watched if they were down by 40 or up by 40. At the same time, I'm not gonna have some kid tell people what they should do with their time. He's not in their shoes. If we're going to acknowledge that big time college football is indeed a business, and that what is on the field is a marketable product, then customers have the right to do what they want with it.
So now I am a kid? You don't know me, and I am far from a kid, you must be talking about my GRANDSON. For what it is worth, I live over an hour from the dome, and it takes me nearly an hour to get to work as well.I choose to go to the game, so I did what I had to do to go to the game. Those that did not go because of work, that has nothing to do with my statement above. If someone chooses to go to the game on a Thursday night, I do not understand the mentality of well since they didn't play good for 3 quarters I have to go to work the next day, but if they did play good you don't?

I never understood in all of my years why fans do that a couple years ago SU was supposed to loose to Cincy by 21, they lost by 21 yet people left early. Why did they go, they knew they were supposed to loose by 21 and they did just that. I guess what I am saying if you choose to take the 3 1/2 hours to go to a game, why would you leave? I believe in this case SU was supposed to win by 6.5...I think they won by 7.

Look this whole thing is ridiculous, you pay for the ticket to go to the game you do have the "right" to leave when ever you want, true, but you know sometimes you should try to be part of the solution to making the product better instead of just part of the problem. What I mean by that is this program has been on a constant upswing since HCDM took over, and if you are willing to pay money for a ticket, if the general direction of the program is in the right direction why wouldn't you want to help make it better? There will be bumps in the road, and tough times, but it seems to most that it is in the right direction. Anyone that does not think those that stayed did not help, obviously were not there, not to mention how much better it looks for recruits, the media etc. I could understand people not showing up during the GROB era, and almost (not quite because if you bough the tickets and showed than why did you buy if you know they stunk) leaving early because from what I read the team tended to quit during that time frame.

Why would we not try and get behind this team so that we promote a better atmosphere...so that its not a fight to get in the door of some of these recruits, those that do not think this stuff is used by Shady and the like to negatively recruit SU do not understand the game at all. I guess, choose more wisely with your decisions to come or not. This team is made up of a bunch of imperfect kids playing and imperfect adults coaching, they aren't perfect and never will be, if you go to a game knowing that, it makes it much easier to understand 3 qtrs of awfull followed by 11 minutes of potential being realized...okay enough blabering, that should be plenty for the attacks to begin

Would you leave your kid's Little League game if his team was losing after 3 innings? Would you walk out on your kid's HS football game?

HELL YES, AND I WOULD HAVE BOTH MIDDLE FINGERS OUT AS I DO BECAUSE I HATE MY LOSER CHILDREN. I'D PROBABLY EVEN TOSS MY WIFE THE KEYS SO I CAN MOON THE COACHES FROM THE BACKSEAT AS WE DRIVE OFF. YES, I'M SHOUTING AT YOU.*

I'm a life long resident of Central New York, and a Syracuse University alum. I have 90+ kids on the team. I'll be damned if I walk out on my kids in the middle of a game, and there were at least 15,000 people who agreed with me Thursday night.
Here's a shovel. Go on right ahead and dig a deeper trench for yourself. I don't think you've entrenched yourself firmly enough in your opinion on this issue.:)

I'm going to say this for the last time - the people that did not agree with you on Thursday night are the ones that really matter to the longterm outlook of the Syracuse football program. The Dome will not fill up with people that feel the way you do. It won't. There aren't enough of you. It will fill up with people with a lesser commitment though, and that program needs a full Dome. If you expect fans to share your level of commitment you will be disappointed far more often than not. So please, stop talking about what those other fans should do to live up to your expectations and accept that fans are different and what matters to those fans is different, and if you want a successful program in a community like Syracuse over the long haul you better be able to appeal to pretty much all of them on the level they want. And when fans leave after the third quarter, it means that your program somewhere along the way failed in that.

The problem, as convenient a scapegoat as it may seem, is not the fan and if you keep treating the fan like the problem you'll just alienate a lot of them further. We've never seen that in our program though. :cough:

*Not really. You just didn't leave me any place else to go with that statement about little leaguers and whatnot, so I just went as hard in the other direction as I could.

I think he was referring to one Philbert Thomas on that one.

And if those two ever met in an alley I'd put my money on "the kid" ... if I go to a ballgame, I plan ahead ... as one poster already stated ... what do you do if Cuse is winning in a close one ... still decide to leave early? I bet not ...

I'm absolutely shocked that people on SyracuseFan.com are cool with people leaving a 12 point game with almost a quarter and a half remaining. Really shocked.

"Straight up if you walked out of our game last week, when we were losing dont even bother showing up to the dome this sat! " :D
Stupid. If the team doesn't bother to show up for 3.5 quarters, they shouldn't be dissing people who missed the last 8 minutes.

I'm absolutely shocked that people on SyracuseFan.com are cool with people leaving a 12 point game with almost a quarter and a half remaining. Really shocked.
Not cool with it, just able to understand that some would even if we expect better.:noidea:

Stupid. If the team doesn't bother to show up for 3.5 quarters, they shouldn't be dissing people who missed the last 8 minutes.

They played poorly, it's not like they huddled before the game and said "hey let's piss off the fanbase as much as possible and then win anyway".

They played poorly, it's not like they huddled before the game and said "hey let's **** off the fanbase as much as possible and then win anyway".
Are you sure? That totally sounds like something Marinovich would say.

Don't mind me. I'm just really bored at this point.

They played poorly, it's not like they huddled before the game and said "hey let's **** off the fanbase as much as possible and then win anyway".
I was disgusted watching it on TV. It looked like the SOS DD. Now that there is a history of a HCDM team staging a comeback, people will be less likely to leave early. One must look at last years' home record against BCS teams, as well as the GROB era, in understanding people's reactions. It can't be looked at in a vacuum. Now, if they leave again down 2 scores going into the 4th, there is an issue.

The people who walked out will never be satisfied, and they will never buy into the program, regardless of how many bells and whistles are attached.

It's been like that for 40 years.

Even if you sold $10 tickets and offered free parking, people will still look for excuses not to go.

We do agree on one thing ... the program can't be successful without the support of the "fringe" fan, but the fringe fan won't support the program until it has a proven track record of success, and that support will always be contingent on the team's current performance.

It is what it is.

The people who walked out will never be satisfied, and they will never buy into the program, regardless of how many bells and whistles are attached.

I don't know. I think I'm actually a little more bullish on the average fan. I think it's the average fan that fills the Dome for hoops at least. I believe the same could be said for football someday, but a lot of them need to be stroked a little bit.

I'm not drawing a line in the sand here but I just see a lot of excuses and I consider the fans as part of the team but one can rationalize anything I suppose. I just don't think it's asking a lot to have 42K show up and to have a little faith in the players and staff.

I don't know. I think I'm actually a little more bullish on the average fan. I think it's the average fan that fills the Dome for hoops at least. I believe the same could be said for football someday, but a lot of them need to be stroked a little bit.

If that were true, the Dome would have been sold out every season since 1987. Maybe after Marrone has had the run of continued success that Boeheim has had, attitudes may change.

I hope.

Why do we debate this every year? If you leave 3 quarters into a game, you're probably a shitty fan. Maybe you should find another team to root for.

this thread went much deeper and longer then i ever expected haha

I think most people that leave early really dont understand the issues it causes beyond the scope of what leaving early does for their little world in the extra 30 min they got back in their lives..

Much like the people who choose to buy tickets and then not show up.. they would be better served to donate money instead of leaving empty space down low.. but hey if they want to spend money that way you really cant stop it..

Why do we debate this every year? If you leave 3 quarters into a game, you're probably a shitty fan. Maybe you should find another team to root for.

I see 2 major problems with this thread which is causing all the back and forth:
1) Just b/c you bought tickets, or got them for free, and went to the game, does not mean you are a fan. What ppl are referring to as a fan here, is someone who is on this site, crazy about the cuse, will go to the game any chance they can, rearranges their schedules and family plans around the Cuse and "supports" the Cuse. So a fan leaving the game during even the worst performance most likely doesn't happen. Now someone who bought tickets to be entertained and decided to go -- call them what you will -- fair weather, bandwagon, and so on... they went to be entertained... and not so much as to "support" the team and the university. The product on the field isn't an extension of who they are... Now I don't care how thick the orange glasses are, the entertainment factor sucked through 3 quarters. Furthermore, we didn't beat a single BCS team at home last year -- and have been terrible for years. So while we did make a huge turnaround last year, many leaving still prob figured --- seen this before - same ol team. And left. And guess what, they paid for a product, and didn't feel they were getting it, and decided to cut their losses. Joke is on them though b/c the payoff happened after most left. But my point is there's 2 different "fan" being discussed.

2) comparing the south to our team is just too far off for me. As stated earlier, this dedication to their college team happens at birth. It's instilled in them. It's part of their every day life, for 365 days a year. that's not the case in the north. Football is just one sport you play when you grow up. And for those that play the sport or watch it, the pro league is what it's about. It's the reason why the Jets/Giants are packed and both can get $$$ just for the right to buy tickets, but the south doesn't have that same demand. The south has the sold out college game, where the north doesn't it. I think this fact is being taken too lightly. Think about it -- the Giants had 24yr waiting lists just to get tickets. Seasons were passed down through generations. When you grow up, it's gmen gmen gmen. No college... In the south it's the opposite...

I'd also be interested to see what % of the population at any 1 southern school is effected by the team - both by showing up to the game or watching on tv --- Vs that of the Cuse. . Ppl continue to claim that the Syracuse and surrounding areas are large enough to easily pull in 50k a game. I'm curoius if the populations were broken down if the % of those attending a cuse game vs a southern game would be similar.

So now I am a kid? You don't know me, and I am far from a kid, you must be talking about my GRANDSON. For what it is worth, I live over an hour from the dome, and it takes me nearly an hour to get to work as well.I choose to go to the game, so I did what I had to do to go to the game. Those that did not go because of work, that has nothing to do with my statement above. If someone chooses to go to the game on a Thursday night, I do not understand the mentality of well since they didn't play good for 3 quarters I have to go to work the next day, but if they did play good you don't?

I never understood in all of my years why fans do that a couple years ago SU was supposed to loose to Cincy by 21, they lost by 21 yet people left early. Why did they go, they knew they were supposed to loose by 21 and they did just that. I guess what I am saying if you choose to take the 3 1/2 hours to go to a game, why would you leave? I believe in this case SU was supposed to win by 6.5...I think they won by 7.

Look this whole thing is ridiculous, you pay for the ticket to go to the game you do have the "right" to leave when ever you want, true, but you know sometimes you should try to be part of the solution to making the product better instead of just part of the problem. What I mean by that is this program has been on a constant upswing since HCDM took over, and if you are willing to pay money for a ticket, if the general direction of the program is in the right direction why wouldn't you want to help make it better? There will be bumps in the road, and tough times, but it seems to most that it is in the right direction. Anyone that does not think those that stayed did not help, obviously were not there, not to mention how much better it looks for recruits, the media etc. I could understand people not showing up during the GROB era, and almost (not quite because if you bough the tickets and showed than why did you buy if you know they stunk) leaving early because from what I read the team tended to quit during that time frame.

Why would we not try and get behind this team so that we promote a better atmosphere...so that its not a fight to get in the door of some of these recruits, those that do not think this stuff is used by Shady and the like to negatively recruit SU do not understand the game at all. I guess, choose more wisely with your decisions to come or not. This team is made up of a bunch of imperfect kids playing and imperfect adults coaching, they aren't perfect and never will be, if you go to a game knowing that, it makes it much easier to understand 3 qtrs of awfull followed by 11 minutes of potential being realized...okay enough blabering, that should be plenty for the attacks to begin

I wasn't refering to you. I was refering to Thomas's fb status.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom