philip thomas fb status | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

philip thomas fb status

Would you leave your kid's Little League game if his team was losing after 3 innings? Would you walk out on your kid's HS football game?

I'm a life long resident of Central New York, and a Syracuse University alum. I have 90+ kids on the team. I'll be damned if I walk out on my kids in the middle of a game, and there were at least 15,000 people who agreed with me Thursday night.

too lazy to find an animated gif of a violin player

i mean seriously come on. they're not your children.

So now I am a kid? You don't know me, and I am far from a kid, you must be talking about my GRANDSON. For what it is worth, I live over an hour from the dome, and it takes me nearly an hour to get to work as well.I choose to go to the game, so I did what I had to do to go to the game. Those that did not go because of work, that has nothing to do with my statement above. If someone chooses to go to the game on a Thursday night, I do not understand the mentality of well since they didn't play good for 3 quarters I have to go to work the next day, but if they did play good you don't?

I never understood in all of my years why fans do that a couple years ago SU was supposed to loose to Cincy by 21, they lost by 21 yet people left early. Why did they go, they knew they were supposed to loose by 21 and they did just that. I guess what I am saying if you choose to take the 3 1/2 hours to go to a game, why would you leave? I believe in this case SU was supposed to win by 6.5...I think they won by 7.

Look this whole thing is ridiculous, you pay for the ticket to go to the game you do have the "right" to leave when ever you want, true, but you know sometimes you should try to be part of the solution to making the product better instead of just part of the problem. What I mean by that is this program has been on a constant upswing since HCDM took over, and if you are willing to pay money for a ticket, if the general direction of the program is in the right direction why wouldn't you want to help make it better? There will be bumps in the road, and tough times, but it seems to most that it is in the right direction. Anyone that does not think those that stayed did not help, obviously were not there, not to mention how much better it looks for recruits, the media etc. I could understand people not showing up during the GROB era, and almost (not quite because if you bough the tickets and showed than why did you buy if you know they stunk) leaving early because from what I read the team tended to quit during that time frame.

Why would we not try and get behind this team so that we promote a better atmosphere...so that its not a fight to get in the door of some of these recruits, those that do not think this stuff is used by Shady and the like to negatively recruit SU do not understand the game at all. I guess, choose more wisely with your decisions to come or not. This team is made up of a bunch of imperfect kids playing and imperfect adults coaching, they aren't perfect and never will be, if you go to a game knowing that, it makes it much easier to understand 3 qtrs of awfull followed by 11 minutes of potential being realized...okay enough blabering, that should be plenty for the attacks to begin

I feel like I should also point out that when I had season tickets I never left early. Not once. All of those years were post McNabb when the team was in it's slow decline, so I certainly wasn't fair weather either. It should be pointed out that our fanbase isn't unique. For the huge attendance numbers that SEC teams put up, their fanbases do the same stuff. Jordan Hare stadium was much emptier when auburn made their comback this weekend than it was a kickoff. At the end of Philip Fulmer's last season at Tennessee they were drawing 80,000 (out of 112,000), and he won them a national championship. Those are both state schools with huge student enrollments where most grads still live within the state.

Why not? The students have been called out on the forums here 100s of times ... and the newspaper has poked at student participation during lean years ... like I said the guys on the field are the ones with the best reason to gripe. Its not like the Thomas brothers will be standing at the turnstyles and saying to students ... "No I saw you leave early, get outta here!". Besides it was already brought up that chances are a lot of students might not come back because half of them were probably there on the free home opener ticket promotion ... when I was a student there we paid to see those games because we wanted to be there ... we were a big part of the experience ... if the students will only go because the ticket is free the heck with it ...

The locals could care less if a student/player calls them out. They may go again, may not, I can't imagine they'd let a student comments influence it.

The students could care less if the locals call them out. But if a student/player makes a comment like this, there's more of a chance than any other scenario that they say f him and go find something else to do.

It's not the players' job to police this one, no matter how much of a point they may have.

too lazy to find an animated gif of a violin player

i mean seriously come on. they're not your children.

Ha - No one here birthed or procreated our whole team.

That being said, walking out of a two score game shows a pretty low football IQ.

wrong...post standard guys read this board all the time,but since he put it on twitter,there is no translation retractions

Let me rephrase, as I did in a post earlier. If the Post Standard had a headline with Phillip Thomas' Facebook quote, the general public, while reached, would not care. They would understand why he said it. I doubt it would impact attendance from locals. If a coach, AD or Chancellor said it, that would be different.

The locals could care less if a student/player calls them out. They may go again, may not, I can't imagine they'd let a student comments influence it.

The students could care less if the locals call them out. But if a student/player makes a comment like this, there's more of a chance than any other scenario that they say f him and go find something else to do.

It's not the players' job to police this one, no matter how much of a point they may have.

You missed my point entirely ... the students that do buy their tickets are the ones you want in the seats ... not the ones that show up because one time they score a free ticket ... the guys with season tickets will still go no matter what Thomas says ... I am willing to bet the students still in the student section till the end are the ones that cough up money for their season tix ... I know because I was one of them once. A lot of those guys have thick skin ... frankly we live in such a touchy feely society it makes me ill ... if his rant prevents thousands of people from showing up to a game I think we have bigger problems than just making a bowl game.

I'm absolutely shocked that people on SyracuseFan.com are cool with people leaving a 12 point game with almost a quarter and a half remaining. Really shocked.

Honestly I could care less what other people do. I don't let other people NOT going to games or LEAVING early effect me. I am surprised so many people here care about this stuff.

As with EVERYTHING else related to the Syracuse fanbase, this is all about numbers.

Did anyone see those bastions of southern football tradition, Auburn fans, racing to the exits when Utah State went up 10 with a couple minutes to go? I sure as hell did.

But you know what? There were EIGHTY THOUSAND PEOPLE there to start with. So if 10-15K left, it's not that noticeable.

When you have an already crappy "butts in the seat" crowd of 35K and 10K leave it looks like garbage because the crowd looked like garbage to begin with (save for the student section at the start).

So the solution is to get more friggin' people to show up. Get 50K in the building. Real people, not Gross's" tickets distributed" hallucination, and we'll notice less when the dopes leave early.

I had to be up early the next morning and had to make a decision. My frustration led me to determine that being awake and alert for the long friday I had ahead was more important than the game.

That's pu$$y talk, plain and simple. A real fan stays up no matter what the next day brings. The next day is the next day. You stay up and watch the end and deal with tomorrow when you wake up.

I will admit that after it went to 29-14, I thought about my other options, but that's all I did - think! I have always watched to the bitter end which has led to some arguments with my wife (also an SU alum), who stopped watching at halftime.

That's pu$$y talk, plain and simple. A real fan stays up no matter what the next day brings. The next day is the next day. You stay up and watch the end and deal with tomorrow when you wake up.

I will admit that after it went to 29-14, I thought about my other options, but that's all I did - think! I have always watched to the bitter end which has led to some arguments with my wife (also an SU alum), who stopped watching at halftime.

I suppose I place sports at a different priority level than you. Something I'd say I'm proud of.

Would you leave your kid's Little League game if his team was losing after 3 innings? Would you walk out on your kid's HS football game?

I'm a life long resident of Central New York, and a Syracuse University alum. I have 90+ kids on the team. I'll be damned if I walk out on my kids in the middle of a game, and there were at least 15,000 people who agreed with me Thursday night.

I agree... I was disappointed in the first 3 quarters but I stayed until the glorious end! The score was only 26-14 at the end of the 3rd Quarter. It was by no means a blowout with no chance of a comeback. I think that most of the people were just looking for an excuse to leave early, and talked themselves into it when the end of the 3rd quarter came.

I suppose I place sports at a different priority level than you. Something I'd say I'm proud of.

tend to agree, if people want to leave then leave, I didnt and usually dont unless its a freaking blow out and I just need to get out of there or I have my kids with me who are still little. As Bayside said, leaving down two scores just shows a pretty low football IQ.

But like you said, if i had a big meeting or something important going on on Friday, I probably would have not gone to the game or def left early if the game was out of hand. Syracuse football doesn't feed my familiy. Saturdays I usually dont have any issues. That said, last Thursday, I crashed on my bike on the way into work at 6:30 am, needed 10 stitches in my elbow, 4 in my knee and dislocated my finger yet I was still tailgating at 5 Pm.. I dont think sitting on my couch until midnight as opposed to going to bed at 10 pm because I have to work the next morning makes me or anyone else a

I happen to watch the 6 ot UCONN game because my colic ridden daughter kept me up all night. I sat there bvounced on an excercise ball while holding her for basically the entire overtimes.. If she was sleeping I def would have gone to bed, I am not a kid anymore and can't do my job very well hungover or with very little sleep. Kudos if you can

tend to agree, if people want to leave then leave, I didnt and usually dont unless its a freaking blow out and I just need to get out of there or I have my kids with me who are still little. As Bayside said, leaving down two scores just shows a pretty low football IQ.

But like you said, if i had a big meeting or something important going on on Friday, I probably would have not gone to the game or def left early if the game was out of hand. Syracuse football doesn't feed my familiy. Saturdays I usually dont have any issues. That said, last Thursday, I crashed on my bike on the way into work at 6:30 am, needed 10 stitches in my elbow, 4 in my knee and dislocated my finger yet I was still tailgating at 5 Pm.. I dont think sitting on my couch until midnight as opposed to going to bed at 10 pm because I have to work the next morning makes me or anyone else a *****

I happen to watch the 6 ot UCONN game because my colic ridden daughter kept me up all night. I sat there bvounced on an excercise ball while holding her for basically the entire overtimes.. If she was sleeping I def would have gone to bed, I am not a kid anymore and can't do my job very well hungover or with very little sleep. Kudos if you can
i'm trying to reconcile how this was such an amazing gutty comeback but thinking that a 2 score comeback in the 4th quarter is very unlikely shows a low football iq. I also get a little tired of people who can easily afford a quick plane hop that didn't go having so much to say about it. all these great fan bases that we look so terrible when compared to have people who travel to games. look in the mirror, bigmouths.

i invited everyone to have at it and boy did they ever.

Iauset bec think the comeback is being played up because they played so gd poorly for the first 3 quarters and then fumbled with 12 to go in the 4th. If people left because they thought Syracuse had no chance of winning, I think that would be low football iq. If people left because they had a 2 hour drive home, work the next morning at 8 am and were watching what up until that point was a horrible football game.. I got home at 2 am, had a 7 am meeting, and when I woke up was sore as from the accident I had the previous day, wasn't a great day but watching the 4th quarter was worth it. That said, I can see why some people in certain situations had left and hold no ill will. Students on the other hand is a different issue

i'm trying to reconcile how this was such an amazing gutty comeback but thinking that a 2 score comeback in the 4th quarter is very unlikely shows a low football iq. I also get a little tired of people who can easily afford a quick plane hop that didn't go having so much to say about it. all these great fan bases that we look so terrible when compared to have people who travel to games. look in the mirror, bigmouths.

i invited everyone to have at it and boy did they ever.

2 touchdowns, happens all the time. Just hasn't happened much in Syracuse lately. As far as travel, whatever. Maryland didn't have 55K in a rainstorm because people flew in from all over.

do i really need to point out the population inside the beltway compared to the syracuse metro area to you?

My point is, it isnt a blood oath, people get carried away with this stuff. Work, young families, kids sports etc gets in the way quite often and that is fine. People leaving early was mostly frustration at watching a shitty product for 3 quarters after 6-7 years of watching many similar games. The fans, diehards included want to watch a competitive game and want something to cheer for, I dont blame them.

That said, I am going to the game tomorrow with my 5 and 7 year old daughters and they are fired up. It's all how much you sell it to them and make it part of the routine. That said, the 4:30 start makes it much easier. Swim lessons, lacrosse practice, etc will be done.

Lets face it allegiance aside would you rather watch OK ST or Syracuse play?

do i really need to point out the population inside the beltway compared to the syracuse metro area to you?

Most of them aren't Maryland fans. And Maryland is really lousy to get to. Especially in a monsoon that will never ever end. :mad:

I generally agree with IB's last post.

Right like getting 50K people in the Dome (considering how far a drive Binghamton and Rochester are away) should be a stretch in that city. Please stop using population as valid reason. It was amazing how packed the Dome was in the late 80s and 90s and I am willing to bet the population didn't dive bomb that severly in the past decade or more that you could use that as justification. And I have been to College Park MD ... it is in an awful location, has a poor fan base since the Ravens are right there and is a nightmare to access ...

Right like getting 50K people in the Dome (considering how far a drive Binghamton and Rochester are away) should be a stretch in that city. Please stop using population as valid reason. It was amazing how packed the Dome was in the late 80s and 90s and I am willing to bet the population didn't dive bomb that severly in the past decade or more that you could use that as justification. And I have been to College Park MD ... it is in an awful location, has a poor fan base since the Ravens are right there and is a nightmare to access ...

I grew up in NoVa and went to several games at UMD. It takes just as long to get from Binghamton to the Dome as it does from Fairfax to College Park. Distance and travel time are 2 entirely different things. CNYers are not well-acquainted with traffic.

I'm just giving some of you a hard time about this issue. I doubt we have sports in a different priority position. I have missed important sporting events throughout my life due to job or family events - most notably the SU-Miami game of '92.

I've worked hungover or without sleep lots of times between my time in the Army and then working round-the-clock shifts at civilian jobs, so losing a couple of hours to see a game is not a big deal to me. I see sleep deprivation as a temporary inconvenience that eventually evens itself out.

Different strokes, I guess.

I grew up in NoVa and went to several games at UMD. It takes just as long to get from Binghamton to the Dome as it does from Fairfax to College Park. Distance and travel time are 2 entirely different things. CNYers are not well-acquainted with traffic.
No there's less traffic. That is associated with having less people. which is my point

No there's less traffic. That is associated with having less people. which is my point

And my point was made about the couple of posters who cited travel time from Binghamton as a reason for not going to the Dome.

And my point was made about the couple of posters who cited travel time from Binghamton as a reason for not going to the Dome.

Actually my point was Binghamton and Rochester are only an hour away ... and there is no excuse why there aren't 50K in the Dome ... population is not a valid excuse ... don't really care what anyone says. The attendance numbers are not a bi-product of population ... if it were a 100K stadium I might agree ... but not for a 50K Dome ... sorry not a valid excuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom