Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a whole world of new coaches out there, good young coaches who would kill to have the opportunity to coach at Syracuse, we need to stop looking back, playing remember when even with coaches that we liked 30 years ago. Yes Pitinio is a hall of fame coach fantastic coach but he’s a dirt bag and 70 years old.

just go hire a new coach who will bring a much needed boost of life and enthusisam into a program that feels about as old as its current head coach. It’s 2022 and there’s no guarantees but it’s gotten really pretty bad

Well call me zombie OiG because my rotting carcass is shambling up to the idea of Pitino as HCMBBSU.
I’m in.. you wanna win in todays game ? Ya gotta be willing to feel a little grimey

Bring in Pitino as a transitional coach to do, what, exactly? Invite an NCAA searchlight shining on every aspect of our program?

As has been mentioned, there are plenty of bright young coaches who would fit well here. If JB is gone after this year, and he should be, conduct a search, do it right, and hire someone who could be a long-term successor.

Bring in Pitino as a transitional coach to do, what, exactly? Invite an NCAA searchlight shining on every aspect of our program?

As has been mentioned, there are plenty of bright young coaches who would fit well here. If JB is gone after this year, and he should be, conduct a search, do it right, and hire someone who could be a long-term successor.
I'm fine with that.

Pitino coming here would be a story though. And odds are good the next coach is going to have to deal to some extent with a lurking Jim Boeheim. Pitino could handle that. An up and coming coach may not. An in-house hire certainly would not.

There’s a less than zero chance the BOT would ever sign off on Pitino.
Then it’s time to get a new cheese board.

Seriously though - does a hire just need a majority vote? i find it funny that some claim to know the inner workings of the BoT.

Then it’s time to get a new cheese board

Or just hire a 35-40 year old guy with lots of energy and ambition.

Hiring Pitino is the equivalent to hiring an executive at a Fortune 500 who’s been found violating company policy at every other stop. From a risk management perspective it would never happen.

History demonstrates that the Coach that follows a legend often struggles and if JAB leaves anytime soon, outside a health crisis, he will still be around trying to influence the program in his manner.

Like it or not, Pitino is someone who JAB will not mess with and he will move the program back into prominence.

That is why this thread has legs. If the Board and the Chancellor buy in then this would happen. A large number of Board members would need to be shown the value, to the program, of moving in this direction.

That is the role of the AD in conjunction with the Chancello.

I am just pointing out a road map to getting there.

History demonstrates that the Coach that follows a legend often struggles and if JAB leaves anytime soon, outside a health crisis, he will still be around trying to influence the program in his manner.

Like it or not, Pitino is someone who JAB will not mess with and he will move the program back into prominence.

That is why this thread has legs. If the Board and the Chancellor buy in then this would happen. A large number of Board members would need to be shown the value, to the program, of moving in this direction.

That is the role of the AD in conjunction with the Chancello.

I am just pointing out a road map to getting there.
JB has two sanctions. Rick is beyond that. He is a HOF coach who would be a great transition

Truthfully in the NIL world a lot of what was once grimey is now above board.
No it isn't. It's worse. You don't stop corruption by injecting more money into the system (and fewer controls) so the same dirty actors can "legally" buy more recruits and widen existing disparities. But keep on your 'freedom' roll.

Last edited:
The Iona Gaels of the MAAC would take our lunch money on a neutral court if we played tomorrow and he’s been there for like 18 months haha

I understand why it won’t happen but imagine how much gd fun it would be if it did

JB has two sanctions. Rick is beyond that. He is a HOF coach who would be a great transition
Worse yet there are ACC officials who don’t like JAB and either ignore obvious fouls or call them where they don’t exist. RP doesn’t have that baggage.
Plus, those 100 victories taken will not be restored while he is still actively coaching. JAB has spoken truth to NCAA power way too often!

Jim
Worse yet there are ACC officials who don’t like JAB and either ignore obvious fouls or call them where they don’t exist. RP doesn’t have that baggage.
Plus, those 100 victories taken will not be restored while he is still actively coaching. JAB has spoken truth to NCAA power way too oft

Any coach who has been around as long as Jim has some detractors. We do ok with the refs although yesterday was really bad. Last call in regulation cost us the game.

Don't think Pitiino would be the choice given his age and personal history. Will be a legacy hire, either from outside the program or one of the current coaches. Personally, I would like a change to recruiting more athletic players that can transition SU to more of a traditional man to man defense. The way the game is being played, the zone leaves too many holes for uncontested 3 point shots. Especially this year, not having a very athletic team, really makes SU vulnerable to the 3 point shot.

The Iona Gaels of the MAAC would take our lunch money on a neutral court if we played tomorrow and he’s been there for like 18 months haha

I understand why it won’t happen but imagine how much gd fun it would be if it did
This thread is a monument to my cognitive dissonance on the issue. I am morally opposed to Pitino taking over, but it would be SO much fun! And success is basically guaranteed. It would be a great way to revive the program virtually overnight, deal with the whole issue of following a legend, and set up the next great coach at SU.

Right now, interest in Cuse basketball is at low ebb, probably the lowest in most of our lifetimes. It's a great gig, but the program could use a step up in order to recruit the best possible long-term candidate.

Any coach who has been around as long as Jim has some detractors. We do ok with the refs although yesterday was really bad. Last call in regulation cost us the game.
Actually, IMO what cost us the game is our inability to adjust to where the game has evolved and the bad calls only accentuate our inability to adjust!

Don't think Pitiino would be the choice given his age and personal history. Will be a legacy hire, either from outside the program or one of the current coaches. Personally, I would like a change to recruiting more athletic players that can transition SU to more of a traditional man to man defense. The way the game is being played, the zone leaves too many holes for uncontested 3 point shots. Especially this year, not having a very athletic team, really makes SU vulnerable to the 3 point shot.
You could be right and then there is the consideration that people can grow beyond their past mistake. What about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.