Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Pitino would have "the talk" with a few folks and maybe even some of the incoming recruits. Then he'd Pitino the portal, get us ranked, and make us a S16 team next year.
Rick And Morty GIF by Adult Swim

I don't know about this whole Pitino thing. His name carries serious weight at the Iona level. That's maybe enough to get them to the top of the heap in their league. Don't get me wrong, Pitino is a GREAT coach. But he's also 70 and P5 b'ball is filled with guys with big names. Iona is an easier gig for a guy his age and a place where he can continue to coach and win at a high level without putting himself in a coffin. Boeheim ought to try it. But I wouldn't want to bet on Pitino here. The chances of embarrassment are higher than we're figuring. And I'm not even thinking about his baggage.

We can get someone good in the prime of their career. We aren't UNLV in the 1990s.

Maybe if Rick was even just in his early 60s. However he isn't and not sure how long he is close enough to the top of his game.

He's also villain #1 for me as a Syracuse fan. I wish this thread had a padlock on it.

I hope Ville brings him back so the hate level for them can ramp back up.

He's also villain #1 for me as a Syracuse fan. I wish this thread had a padlock on it.

It’s kinda like when Demolition went heel and took on Mr. Fuji as their manager. The Legion of Doom had taken their spot and relevance and they had to adapt to be able to hang in there.

And for us to continue losing to Louisville and everyone else? Get over the Pitino hate and deal with the reality that even if he coached at SU for 2 to 3 years, he would turn the program around quickly and bring back a level of prestige. He is still a great recruiter and coach which is what we need. Hate with no punch doesn't go far.

Remember folks when JAB began his time as our HC, Pitino was the first guy he called and was instrumental in helping Coach get this thing going. It is also very difficult to replace a legend and Rick might be able to offer a transition period where we would improve until he retires and then could do a national search.
I know numerous folks are against this and yet it might work as a transition.

It won't matter if the "right" program and the big money come calling. Pitino's ego is too large not to want one last shot at the big time and another NC, despite his declarations of how content he is at Iona. FWIW, I think Pitino is easily one of the 3 best college coaches of all time. I would take him here in a heartbeat, even though I full realize how highly improbable/unrealistic those odds are.

Yep... I will take no joy from watching the holier than thou posters here squirming as they watch Pitino achieve levels of success elsewhere that have passed SU by.
Reality is, Jim and Rick are friends. They’ve gone on vacations together.

Those who attack Rick’s character….Jim doesn’t seem to have a problem with it. He brought Pitino in to help at an SU practice a few years ago.

The problem with Pitino to me is what do we define as transitional? JB's teams started to fade just a couple years of age older than Pitino. He comes here and he is at least 70, depending on when. Coach K is still damn good at 74 but is retiring. Williams was fading and let go.

It's possible you create the unknown retirement volume 2.0 here..

Reality is, Jim and Rick are friends. They’ve gone on vacations together.

Those who attack Rick’s character….Jim doesn’t seem to have a problem with it. He brought Pitino in to help at an SU practice a few years ago.
Yep; kudos to Iona for setting themselves up to get paid. A P5 school serious about hiring Rick and looking at Auburn's success won't have any problem. I could really see Maryland making that move, despite their history of budget issues. B10 revenue will let them justify anything.

That would be my biggest concern with it as well. RP has a pretty sweet gig down there, and may prefer not to have that sort of structure (i.e. 4-5 years max) imposed on him.

Hold your nose and give him the keys to rebuild the program. I have very little doubt that he'd a be a rousing success, putting us in prime position to land a big name when he finally decides to hang it up.

Hire The Swordsman.
I'm all for it!!!! Where would I get my hookers?

I'm all for it!!!! Where would I get my hookers?
That depends what kind of NIL deal you can land. Hopefully you go the Elliott Spitzer route more than settling for what you might find in a local... establishment.

And for us to continue losing to Louisville and everyone else? Get over the Pitino hate and deal with the reality that even if he coached at SU for 2 to 3 years, he would turn the program around quickly and bring back a level of prestige. He is still a great recruiter and coach which is what we need. Hate with no punch doesn't go far.

And *then* we would get that coach that will be here for a reasonably long time.

This job would be way more attractive with the press that Pitino would generate over 2 or 3 years. If he was here 3 years, I would not be shocked at a Final Four. Honestly.

The problem with Pitino to me is what do we define as transitional? JB's teams started to fade just a couple years of age older than Pitino. He comes here and he is at least 70, depending on when. Coach K is still damn good at 74 but is retiring. Williams was fading and let go.

You don’t think K is fading? Scheyer’s already the head coach IMO.

You don’t think K is fading? Scheyer’s already the head coach IMO.

Maybe he is. They are top 10 so be it as it may with regards to who is running it, he is still there and they are damn good.

Iona-level competition helps to hide whatever physical and mental shortcomings Pitino may now have because of the aging process. He's like Tom Selleck killing it in Japan in Mr. Baseball.

No one at Pitino's age has the same energy and drive they did when they were 40 or 50. And that's why you don't see a ton of old-ass coaches winning championships.

Also true that very few coaches have the knowledge and success that Pitino has plus knowledge of the 2/3 as well as other approaches which makes him an ideal transition coach for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom