Pitt basketball | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt basketball

It annoys the hell out of me when people post stuff like this. What, exactly, was Pitt’s other option? Pass on the ACC and end up in the American instead? So they take a step down in hoops and kill their football program. Plus they have substantially lower revenues and pretty much kill off their non-revenue sports as well. That’s the better option?

Or are they supposed to wish a fantasy into existence where somehow a football-relevant Big East still exists?

The ACC was their best option. We can argue if it was a good option, but the idea they shouldn’t have taken advantage of what was CLEARLY their best available option is just stupid.
You seem really passionate about an anonymous person's opinion. You're right they had to take the offer to join when it was given. The divide between the P5 and G5 schools continues to get wider. This doesn't change the fact that a school that used to be a perennial top 25 and tourney team has struggled with recruiting since joining. They were declining when Dixon was still at the school as far as talent acquisition goes. Stallings is only furthering that.

1441.gif

You seem really passionate about an anonymous person's opinion. You're right they had to take the offer to join when it was given. The divide between the P5 and G5 schools continues to get wider. This doesn't change the fact that a school that used to be a perennial top 25 and tourney team has struggled with recruiting since joining. They were declining when Dixon was still at the school as far as talent acquisition goes. Stallings is only furthering that.

I’m passionate mostly because we hear the same stupid take about Syracuse going to the ACC. As if there was any other legitimate option the school passed on.

Any option Pitt had (and even the ones they didn’t have like joining the Big Ten) were going to negatively impact hoops. Their recruiting was heavily NYC based, and they did well in the Big East since there were so many schools in the area. No other big-time conference in existence today would have offered them that. At least in the ACC they get money (unlike, say, UConn).

That’s an absolute disgrace for a man to do who didn’t do his job at all. I get it if he was kinda ok and maybe slowly righting the ship but he sunk that sob. Douche in my books. I woulda said sorry I sucked so bad so just give me the 5 mil and I’m good plus he saves a little part of what man he has left in him.

Well one thing is sure, their AD is an idiot. No one thought he would do well and then to give him such a big contract. Sorry but Pitt deserves paying that out , just dumb.

I’m passionate mostly because we hear the same stupid take about Syracuse going to the ACC. As if there was any other legitimate option the school passed on.

Any option Pitt had (and even the ones they didn’t have like joining the Big Ten) were going to negatively impact hoops. Their recruiting was heavily NYC based, and they did well in the Big East since there were so many schools in the area. No other big-time conference in existence today would have offered them that. At least in the ACC they get money (unlike, say, UConn).
I don't disagree. I think Pitt made the right choice and I like the move by the ACC. All I was saying was hoops-wise, it wasn't a great move but they didn't have any other options.

I don't disagree. I think Pitt made the right choice and I like the move by the ACC. All I was saying was hoops-wise, it wasn't a great move but they didn't have any other options.

Well - they could have maybe tried not chasing their most successful coach EVER out the door.

Trade Pitt to the B1G for Maryland
Only if they have to play every game in every sport on the road and are not allowed to bring any fans. Plus anyone wearing anything with some combination of red, black, yellow, and white is barred from entering the venue.

That’s an absolute disgrace for a man to do who didn’t do his job at all. I get it if he was kinda ok and maybe slowly righting the ship but he sunk that sob. Douche in my books. I woulda said sorry I sucked so bad so just give me the 5 mil and I’m good plus he saves a little part of what man he has left in him.

He better be donating some of that to some good causes or some philanthropic work.

How does the AD still have a job? Push the right guy out the door and hire the absolutely worst guy to an awful awful contract.

It Pitt still paying Jamie Dixon?

Because it would be crushing to pay him + $10 MM to Stallings + enough to convince a new coach to go there now that they're fresh off a 0-19 ACC campaign and are generally void of talent.

If not for the fact that he's a dirty cheater who shat the bed at USF, Orlando Antigua would be a good fit here.

EDIT: I could see them hiring Brandin Knight.

It Pitt still paying Jamie Dixon?

Because it would be crushing to pay him + $10 MM to Stallings + enough to convince a new coach to go there now that they're fresh off a 0-19 ACC campaign and are generally void of talent.
Pretty sure TCU paid the buyout to get Dixon out of his contract at Pitt. Pitt had lowered that amount so it didn't turn into a bigger mess.

Having such a high buyout on Stallings was an even bigger mistake than hiring him in the first place.

Sickens me that a system is in place where Stallings can go 0-19 this year and get paid a $9.4M buyout. Unreal.

I hear ya, but it seems so typical across the entire spectrum in the sports world today. Being a huge all everything Cleveland fan, it sickens me that Tristan Thompson and the JR Smith's of world get tens of millions of dollars for non performance as well.

I hear ya, but it seems so typical across the entire spectrum in the sports world today. Being a huge all everything Cleveland fan, it sickens me that Tristan Thompson and the JR Smith's of world get tens of millions of dollars for non performance as well.

I know but these are university employees. A coach not someone trying to find cures for cancer or splitting atoms. It’s just mind boggling. It’s so freaking stupid and corrupt on so many levels, obviously.

I know but these are university employees. A coach not someone trying to find cures for cancer or splitting atoms. It’s just mind boggling. It’s so freaking stupid and corrupt on so many levels, obviously.

Oh I know...and agree. But, as you know, and as discussed here a time or two, these coaches at all of these "institutions of higher learning" are paid sloppily handsomely...it's out of control crazy.

Oh I know...and agree. But, as you know, and as discussed here a time or two, these coaches at all of these "institutions of higher learning" are paid sloppily handsomely...it's out of control crazy.

Yup. “Institutions” my a*@!

Oh I know...and agree. But, as you know, and as discussed here a time or two, these coaches at all of these "institutions of higher earning" are paid sloppily handsomely...it's out of control crazy.

FIFY.

And let's not forget, all these colleges are not-for-profit organizations.

He better be donating some of that to some good causes or some philanthropic work.
Why? It's not his fault Pitt offered that. Assuming he did the best job he could, that's his money.
If you want pay for performance contracts, put that in the language.
We don't see Presidents or Congress members turning down lifetime benefits when they sucked at their jobs, nor are they asked to do so.