Pitt fires Kevin Stallings / hires Jeff Capel | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt fires Kevin Stallings / hires Jeff Capel

Danny Hurley come on down!
Don't hold your breath. He is not plugging his program in at Pitt, and I don't even mean that as an insult.
Personally, if I was Pitt's AD, I'd hire Thad Motta. As an SU person, I don't know if I am scared about the notion of Motta in Oakland, but he is a formidable coach with a solid track record. He's only 50 years-old.
Also, don't be surprised if Mark Schmidt (St. Bona) is heavily in the mix.

Don't hold your breath. He is not plugging his program in at Pitt, and I don't even mean that as an insult.
Personally, if I was Pitt's AD, I'd hire Thad Motta. As an SU person, I don't know if I am scared about the notion of Motta in Oakland, but he is a formidable coach with a solid track record. He's only 50 years-old.
Also, don't be surprised if Mark Schmidt (St. Bona) is heavily in the mix.
With the debacle they’re going through, the big Pitt alums/donors are going to want a hire that has some punch behind the name. Thad Matta and Mark Schmidt aren’t those guys. Danny Hurley, Chris Mack or maybe even Mick Cronin would be that type of option. I’m curious as to how long their search will go. If it’s Matta or Schmidt, that leaves a lot to be desired if I’m a Pitt booster.

With the debacle they’re going through, the big Pitt alums/donors are going to want a hire that has some punch behind the name. Thad Matta and Mark Schmidt aren’t those guys. Danny Hurley, Chris Mack or maybe even Mick Cronin would be that type of option. I’m curious as to how long their search will go. If it’s Matta or Schmidt, that leaves a lot to be desired if I’m a Pitt booster.

Completely disagree on Matta. Assuming he is healthy he is one of the best coaches in the game. Look at his accomplishments at OSU during his time there. I would venture top 10, top 15 nationally at worst over that time frame.

I wouldn't underestimate Matta. Last two years at Ohio State were on the downswing but solid career overall. Has some health issues though with his back though so there is a question if those are resolved.

Thad Matta - Wikipedia

I get you're point on Hurley and Mack, but they are not coming. Hurley is a no. Mack is a long, long shot.
Cronin is an underrated coach, but you are seriously sleeping on Matta.

Career .740 winning percentage, Final Four pedigree, 5 consensus All-Americans, OSU reached AP Top 5 every year from 2009-10 thru 2013-14 (finished there 3 times!). Most importantly, he has a geographically prudent and established recruiting network ready to go.

Yes, things slowed down his final 2 years at Ohio State, but is that any different than what we are experiencing right now? I promise you, I hope Pitt sucks, but Matta would be a legit hire.

Do we have a Steve carrell look alike in cAse cream doesn't work out.

We do have the real Steve Carrell and a second Stallings look alike.

what_she_said_office.gif

I would think Pitt would have interest in both Matta and Crean. And a job in the ACC would interest them.

This is why I'm scared sheetless of what happens when Boeheim leaves.

The only way we don't get a good coach is if the board tries to do it on the cheap (which is entirely possible.)

There are plenty of good coaches that would love to coach in the loudhouse. We'll just need to pay a competitive price.

The only way we don't get a good coach is if the board tries to do it on the cheap (which is entirely possible.)

There are plenty of good coaches that would love to coach in the loudhouse. We'll just need to pay a competitive price.

I’m concerned that we have to:

1) Hire a coach that runs a system very similar to Boeheim’s in order to utilize the players currently on roster. This makes the pool of coaches we can go after very shallow and may or may not be best long term. I.E. Hopkins

2) Hire a coach with a completely different system than the one the current players were recruited for and we see catastrophic results ala Stallings and Pitt causing several short term stays which sets us back for years/decade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom