Pittfalls Postgame... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Pittfalls Postgame...

Red walking outta the Pete lookin around like “I own this MF, my name is Ta-Dow!”
1705484557112.jpeg

Ta-Dow aka Harlem Red

Last edited:
Pitt no longer a quad 1 win.Net ranking has them 80 this morning, Oregon is 51 and Cuse 73.Hard to see that Pitt team climbing back to a quad 1 with the way they are playing. Oregon on the other hand looks like a pretty good chance to get back to a quad 1 victory as they are only 1 spot away and playing really good basketball.

He had one of the sickest moves I’ve seen in the second half. I’m still not sure what I saw
I am a HUGE JJ fan and I think he is just scratching the surface of what he can do, to take a line from AA. Listening to this kid speak, along with his incredibly rigorous workout schedule, seeing how he has been deferring to others for large parts of the season/trying to gel with a new team, plus with his up and down play this season (which I think a big part is mental), I find him incredibly easy to root for. Seems almost too humble. Come on JJ, take us to the next level! I know you can!

I know we all want to be elite again and not lose by 40. But that's a good road win tonight after Saturday's humiliation.

We're yet to lose at home, and we have 3 nice wins away from home (G'town, Oregon, Pitt, none of which were all that competitive).

Things could be a lot worse in the first year of the Red era.

JJ looked great.
Too much calmness and reason! Mods, ban him! Seriously, great post.

In the "Dancing" thread I made a very similar post above 45 minutes ago or so. I laid out the same goal as you 21 wins... need to sweep the Q3/Q4 to keep a clean resume with no bad losses, and as you said go 5-5 against the tougher games.

Not sure if 21 is a close lock. I'm going to say that looks like the solid bubble line (perhaps I'm being conservative - need more time to see how things play out). But not comfortable putting close lock this early -- perhaps it will be in the end though.
Team rankings would agree with you, 21 wins put you at 85%+ chance to make the tournament

Last edited:
Quad 1 win was nice while it lasted, Pitt promptly dropped to 80.

Cope was between 4 Pitt players scrambling for a loose ball. One of the Pitt players (Hinson) kept grabbing at the ball after the whistle and stood over Cope not letting him get up. Benny did a little shove of Hinson for him to get off Cope. Result was a double technical
That sequence was tremendously officiated by TV Teddy. I know it's cool to run him down for his behavior years ago but he is very good. If you need further proof watch the NC St - Wake debacle.

I am wondering if Bell didn't tweek something on that dunk. He was not smiling after picking himself off the floor. Not sure how much he played after that?
I said it in the Gameday thread but got dissed

He landed on his rear end and/or hurt his hand on the rim

What put an end to the blackouts they managed back in the 80s/early 90s? Blackouts only work though if you have demand. It would be terrible in the current situation- whatever fans we are still clinging to would just go back to watching their latest show on Netflix.
Lost ad revenue is my assumption, if i can sell more commercial slots, I can afford to pay more for broadcast rights.

The difference last night was our shots fell & Pitt got 1-dimensional.

Otherwise, we still have the same things to work on. Rebounding, stopping drives, defending shots, taking good shots.

Surprised the rebounding numbers ended up so close. It seems like Pitt got their hands on everything.

Need to figure out ways for Judah to shine without being a ball hog. He is deferring a lot, which is good for the team, but it seems that neuters him too much. Need a way for him to still be himself. Would be nice if he could score 20 every night. He was 3-13 while everyone else was about 50%.

Nice confident shot selection from JJ. The reason we won.

Brown didn't have his best offensive game, but contributed elsewhere.

Q w 8 pts, 5 ribs, 4 assists, that works!

Benny w 7 points & 5 ribs, that works! Nice to see him take the handcuffs off.

Bell at close to 2 points a minute, that helps!

Carey w the most energetic, enthusiastic 7 mins one could ask for. There is something there. We'll see.

That sequence was tremendously officiated by TV Teddy. I know it's cool to run him down for his behavior years ago but he is very good. If you need further proof watch the NC St - Wake debacle.
I disagree, Hinson kept jabbing at the ball long after the whistle and was worthy of a technical as it happened. Had he been assessed that T at the appropriate time and not after review, the incident wouldn’t have escalated.

Good win for us! Pitt is a chippy team. Officials need to do a better job of controlling that, in games, or there will be fights. A team win and welcome to the game JJ!

I agree. His comfort zone is a 1v1 top of the key matchup where he can make a 1-2 dribble move to either elbow area, create space, and pull up for a high percentage shot. That’s his best shot, the midrange off the dribble.
agreed. its lethal.

with his speed, defenders gotta sag off...and he shoots it well...

A few issues with that.

#1. There is not even a NET for the first 5 or 6 games. So how would you measure those games -- would you say those are based on year end, but then game 7 is based on "as of played"

#2. You can't use AP Poll as an alternative, because that only ranks 25 or 30 teams each week.

#3. Be it NET, KP, or AP Polls they are not very robust in November and December. They have some value as measures, but they are much more accurate at year end. Therefore it makes more sense to use year end ranking.

#4. Part of the problem is that there is a lot of meaningless games that teams played in their first 15 games... it makes the "as of now" data, even into mid-January, a bit flimsy and not robust.

Exactly. NET isn't really a system that's meant to be analyzed on a day-by-day basis. It's supposed to be an end of year analysis of aggregated data to distinguish 300+ teams that do not play even schedules from one another.

I thought Cory Alexander said something about Jeff Capel looking at him when Benny Williams made a three - did I mishear that? Someone said Alexander said Capel's gameplan was not to have the guy guarded by Maliq touch the ball much?

Good win for us! Pitt is a chippy team. Officials need to do a better job of controlling that, in games, or there will be fights. A team win and welcome to the game JJ!
I thought they handled it quite good, what exactly would you of liked the refs to do?

It’s amazing how attendance at so many places has fallen off a cliff
I think it is understandable given teams now have players coming and going through a revolving door because of the transfer portal and NIL money. The days of recruiting someone, watching them grow over three or four years, and having some sense of watching the same team from one year to the next is gone.

It has become mercenary basketball . . . everyone is playing like they have a one year deal and if they have a good enough season they want to turn pro, and if not, they are gone anyway if they feel they didn't get enough PT, or were slighted in any way, into the portal they go.

There is a rapidly diminishing sense of continuity about CBB . . . and its not just about individuals and teams, conference allegiance and even existence is increasingly fluid as well.

Kinda hard to build the fan base when the sport feels like it is in a washing machine set to high spin cycle.

Pitt no longer a quad 1 win.Net ranking has them 80 this morning, Oregon is 51 and Cuse 73.Hard to see that Pitt team climbing back to a quad 1 with the way they are playing. Oregon on the other hand looks like a pretty good chance to get back to a quad 1 victory as they are only 1 spot away and playing really good basketball.
It’s crazy, it seems like Pitt has the pieces, but they are absolutely awful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom