Play devito the rest of the year. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Play devito the rest of the year.

devito should have played in the second quarter. if for no reason other than to give eric time to focus and calm down. eric is an erratic passer. i think devito has a better presence,judgement and better passing skills. no one has dungy's passion and committment. that said the defense lost the last two games
dino should have pulled him in 2nd quarter just let him re-group for a few minutes,and let devito take over for awhile as he is a very good qb.
dino has loyalty to eric but also to the team. maybe eric is injured and unable make some types of throws, i don't know. i do know he is way off .

Dungey should get a chance to bounce back next game but, needless to say, he’s nowhere near a Heisman or NFL-caliber QB. That’s something most sane fans knew weeks ago but it might have taken some rubes up until now to realize this.

Dungey gave them late 4th quarter, twice in this game, and the defense promptly gave it back. Yea, it's the QB's fault.

Dungey should get a chance to bounce back next game but, needless to say, he’s nowhere near a Heisman or NFL-caliber QB. That’s something most sane fans knew weeks ago but it might have taken some rubes up until now to realize this.
The receivers are not running the correct routes.

One other point to note... Dungey has played like dog doo doo for entire halves of games for three seasons now. This is nothing new. For better or for better or worse out offense goes as he goes. Previous years he has had a) receivers who could go up and catch his awful throws on a regular basis and b) the ability to run the ball like a rb. This year the stud receivers aren’t there and because he is hurt or trying to not get hurt his running isn’t a weapon. I said this after wmu... our offense is not where I thought it would be after three years. If we have a talent advantage it works well if we don’t then it turns to a$$. And I get it we scored 37 but do we think the offense not taking off the entir 2nd quarter could have changed Pitts run run run and run some more offense?

Our offense needs to let our defense play with the lead. We’re supposed to be a team built by Offense, correct?

We know our run defense is a dumpster fire. Only way to mitigate that, since apparently we refuse to change scheme or players, is to play with the lead and force teams to feel the need to throw & deal with our D strength - Pass Rush.

Dungey has not been good enough this year to consistently keep drives going. He misses way too many easy throws.

A better QB makes those reads/throws and A) Scores more, B) Keeps the defense off the field and C) Gets the defense more rest.

Is Devito the better QB this year? I don’t know. All I know is that Devito looked good in the one game he started, and we won going away.

Dungey is also regressing. He’s a baller. There’s a reason that he’s recognized as an upper tier college QB, but he hasn’t been playing like that lately.

Dungey gave them late 4th quarter, twice in this game, and the defense promptly gave it back. Yea, it's the QB's fault.

It’s not all on him obviously. The LBs especially were an abomination. Tons of missed throws easily on Dungey. 18/38 and 2 INTs isn’t gonna get it done and I’ve never been one to compare Tommy and Eric.

None of us know who ran the wrong route/ made the bad read. To me it looked like poor throws, but we won't know for certain either way.

Harris did twice and accepted responsibility in game. Overall, the WR play has been dismal. Can't get off of press coverage. Don't create separation against man. They have shown flashes but not sure anyone outside of N. Johnson starts on another ACC team. They're not consistently good right now and its hurting the offense.

Alot of people underappreciated Ishmael and Phillip's and assumed that all their numbers were a result of the offensive scheme. I think we're learning this season that you need real playmakers at WR or it's not gonna matter who your QB is moving forward.

It’s not all on him obviously. The LBs especially were an abomination. Tons of missed throws easily on Dungey. 18/38 and 2 INTs isn’t gonna get it done and I’ve never been one to compare Tommy and Eric.
We were down 27-17 and he vrought us back to lead 34-27 and then the defense rolled oner and played dead.

Yes they were.
Do you think you know more than Babers? He doesn't give him PT because, I assume, he doesn't think it will help them win. Same thing when Boeheim doesn't give guys playing time and he uses 6 players and everybody goes crazy that he should play more guys.

You knee jerk crazy no football knowledge fans are nuts. ED is our quarterback if you really think we would win more without him you are crazy. Our legit top goal should be 8 wins this year. A bowl should be minimal. Get a grip people. We aren’t a top 25 team. Enjoy what we do this year and hope for improvement next.

Do you think you know more than Babers? He doesn't give him PT because, I assume, he doesn't think it will help them win. Same thing when Boeheim doesn't give guys playing time and he uses 6 players and everybody goes crazy that he should play more guys.
I never said that but perhaps we are annointi g dino a bit too soon.

Well, 3 and outs and interceptions don't really put the defense in a good position, now do they?

Before today’s uncharacteristic struggles, Dungey had 2 INTs. You’d think as Syracuse fans we’d be used to losing games by now and not freak out any time we have a disappointing game.

Edit: If he’s actually hurt, I agree that they should play DeVito and let Dungey try to heal. But I don’t know if he’s hurt. Regardless, he’s done enough to win pretty much every game this season and has played very well whenever he’s been on the field in past years too.

Last edited:
Before today’s uncharacteristic struggles, Dungey had 2 INTs. You’d think as Syracuse fans we’d be used to losing games by now and not freak out any time we have a disappointing game.

Edit: If he’s actually hurt, I agree that they should play DeVito and let Dungey try to heal. But I don’t know if he’s hurt. Regardless, he’s done enough to win pretty much every game this season and has played very well whenever he’s been on the field in past years too.
That's a loser mentality.

You knee jerk crazy no football knowledge fans are nuts. ED is our quarterback if you really think we would win more without him you are crazy. Our legit top goal should be 8 wins this year. A bowl should be minimal. Get a grip people. We aren’t a top 25 team. Enjoy what we do this year and hope for improvement next.

This team is plenty good enough to do damage against this schedule. They won't catch a break in the schedule like this for another 10-15 years. Losses like this are inexcusable. After we started 4-0, 8 wins should be minimum expectation.

Why didnt we let our senior Heisman candidate QB throw the ball once when we got the ball deep in our own territory mid-way through the 4th knowing our D wasnt stopping anyone? Run...run...run...punt. I just desperately want someone to give me an answer that isnt "he's hurt" (which means bench him) or "we dont trust him to throw in that spot" (which means the same thing).

It's not about what he did on the field, its about what they arent letting him do, that worries me. Keep playing him, fine, but let him be a quarterback. If he cant, then dont keep playing him.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom