Play devito the rest of the year. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Play devito the rest of the year.

Elite QBs are given the chance to win against an inferior opponent, especially when your D is stopping NO ONE. That 3 runs and punt in the 4th means either he is hurt or there is a trust issue. That series was where I really began worrying. Something is up.
Does Dungey being hurt or playing like he's hurt or having plays called for him because he's hurt/limited surprise anybody? If he is indeed hurt and you are continuing to play him, you are neither doing him or the team any favors. You also are killing your backups confidence because he is wondering why the coaches feel a hurt Dungey is so much better than a healthy me. Especially when the backup has the Florida St. game to reflect on where he played turnover free and had a TD throwing and running. Babers sometimes has a thought process that is out there. Out where, I'm not sure.

Do you think you know more than Babers? He doesn't give him PT because, I assume, he doesn't think it will help them win. Same thing when Boeheim doesn't give guys playing time and he uses 6 players and everybody goes crazy that he should play more guys.
Boeheim’s won a few games. Dino, not so much.

I can see why posters get annoyed when we criticize JB. Dino shouldn’t have that level of “coach knows best..”, at least not yet.

Dungey should start, but DeVito should make an appearance every game.

Our offense needs some threat of the quick hitter screens. Dungey isn't providing that.

You simply cannot win with dungy
Eric isn't throwing well, but we are riding or dying with him. Unless he gets hurt, he is going to be the man.

I’m convinced Dungey has a nagging shoulder injury that’s effecting his throwing ability

I suspect that's right.

He does not have the same arm strength this year.

Still, he is a great player who needs some help at WR.

Disagree, but wouldn’t have minded him getting in, in the second quarter today. We had a disastrous stretch of the game that just went on way too long. It couldn’t have hurt.

Dungy has always struggled with the throws to the sideline and this year is the worst. Slow and low. That is a part of what we do and it is not working. One advantage to Devito is he makes those throws quickly and accurately.

Today Dungy was overthrowing receivers downfield as well and I'm not smart enough to know if it was miscommunication, blown routes, injury or poor mechanics. Maybe Butler not being there threw off dynamics. In at least a few of these instances any QB would have struggled.

I want us to win now, I am confident of one thing Devito does better but not sure that's enough to bench a seasoned veteran leader.

I am not sure if the WRs are there to warrant this and make it the correct move. Honestly. I've thought about it because the Dungey short arms drive me nuts.

Custis has a great frame and is a nice WR but dude isn't meant to be a #1. Taj made plays down the stretch in the 2H but he was really bad early cutting off routes etc. Nykeim could have got the ball that ended the game he didn't. Butler can't catch. Riley is really small.

Those guys good enough of a cast right now to abandon Tebow Jr and best player we've had in a while? *Truly our only good/great player in the last however many years

IDK. Gap closed today though its a very legit discussion.

I look forward to next year when guys can slot down. Look at my Patriots guys like Dorsett get way better when they go from your #1 to #3 when Gordon/Edelman enter the lineup. We might want to save Devito. Tough call though.

Our D is really good too. One of the worst parts about this loss was that our D played really good. Pitt got 20 fucing points on broken plays it was a weird game but our D looked good. IDK how we lost but thats what happened scoop and scores 70 yard TDs etc but our D was actually really good today its why this one hurts.

devito should have played in the second quarter----i commented why in detail in another thread. i also think going forward that devito needs to get in games when eric is obviously off. don't get me wrong i love dungey's passion commitment and skills. he needed time off for a few minutes to refocus and calm down. devito is talented calmer, more poised. he needs to play more.

ED had some very poor throws...too many and that isn't a good thing along with the fact when he is in the pocket he throws off his back foot when there is pressure on him instead of taking a hit and getting the ball there. He did a good job of keeping the plays alive and making something happen, did a McNabb spin move a couple of times as well.

Pitt played in your face man to man vs the WR's and they far too often could not get open or ED never saw them open. 195 yards on 38 attempts does not get the job done. The longest completion was actually an incomplete pass against a team that has been ripped apart by passing all year.

That said, I don't even want to think about the run defense...or talk about it. It was the worst and the start to the middle and then cut out side works every time and they push it to 4 to 5 yards while falling forward after being "stopped" near the line of scrimmage...or worse a heck of a lot more.

As for TD playing, I could see him doing well if Babers said "You're the guy, let's go." He needs to get stronger and let's be honest, the WR's still have to get more separation but I do believe he could hit them on the run better than ED. ED just seems off to me, hurt to a point but those bounced passes, I just don't remember him doing those in the past like that.

Dino said in his presser that Dungey was our “most explosive player.” And people want to sit him down?

We are limited at the skill positions. Dungey is our best player.

I didn’t see the game (mercifully) but here’s my two cents on Dungey:

His worm burner in the 4th quarter @ Clemson was a significant reason we lost that game. Worst play I saw all year abd inexcusable.

This team is almost always going to lose with a QB hitting less than 50% of his throws. Can’t sustain drives. Can’t go fast. Etc

We don’t have enough offensive playmakers to be one-dimensional.

If the coaches consider those things and say Dungeys our guy and can do better, I’m ok with it. I’m not ok with simply giving him the nod becuase “he’s a senior,” “he’s a warrior,” “he’s our leader.” That’s lazy “meathead” poo.

I didn’t see the game (mercifully) but here’s my two cents on Dungey:

His worm burner in the 4th quarter @ Clemson was a significant reason we lost that game. Worst play I saw all year abd inexcusable.

This team is almost always going to lose with a QB hitting less than 50% of his throws. Can’t sustain drives. Can’t go fast. Etc

We don’t have enough offensive playmakers to be one-dimensional.

If the coaches consider those things and say Dungeys our guy and can do better, I’m ok with it. I’m not ok with simply giving him the nod becuase “he’s a senior,” “he’s a warrior,” “he’s our leader.” That’s lazy “meathead” poo.

I'm generally where you are. We need a QB that is capable of running the complete playbook. I've said it before. The moment where I became very concerned about ED was not a single bad pass. Not even a series of bad passes. Not a pass at all. It was when, 4th qtr, tie game, we ran, ran, ran, punted when we had the ball deep in Pitt territory. That is something you do with a freshman QB. When you have a theoretically trusted senior QB, one that has gotten national hype nonetheless, you trust him to throw the ball. You believe he will lead you on a long drive that eats time and results in a score. You trust him to throw at least once there, knowing a punt could ultimately give them field position to take a lead. That they didn't is extremely concerning to me. He either isnt trusted to throw the ball down there, or is physically incapable of doing so. More than any bad throw he has ever made, that moment has me concerned because the wouldnt let him make it. Thats a bad look for a QB with so much experience under his belt. Maybe not if we have a shutdown D we trust. But this defense is not that.

My top choice remains Eric Dungey being Eric Dungey. Running when he should run, throwing when he should throw. But I am no longer confident he can do that. And if he can't, we simply cannot win with a one and a half dimensional offense, not unless the defense has an unfathomable improvement over the course of the bye week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom