Play devito the rest of the year. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Play devito the rest of the year.

ED has two major flaws that will keep him out of the next lvl

1 can not throw a guy open ( his biggest)

2 off target to much ( high low ext..)

I love the guy he is what we needed when we had next to nothing ( a play maker)

To me this is on the OC and HCDB. The offense has been disjointed for 3 years. Very rarely have we found real and sustainable rhythm over 60. Play sequencing is odd and doesn’t seem to set anything up.

I agree, its a slippery slope to criticize the offense but i have seen a decrease in continuity and yes, it has been disjointed at times. The offense has obviously taken a hit since Lewis left, its clear and not sure why and how that happens on Dino's watch aa this is his system and he is CEO.

The play calling as stated doesn't set up plays at times and we don't play in rhythms in terms of tempo. Alot of our yards have been broken plays and ED rush yards. The play sequencing as mentioned is vanilla and it seems as though we have run the same 5-7 plays all year. i realize our plays are premised on the qb and wr reads at the line, but still dont see dynamic progression of this O with a 4th year qb.

Is it possible that Dungey starts to lose the team with throws like the one in overtime?
He’s a great competitor and a team leader and I hope he leads us to 10-2 but with throws like that on 1st down in overtime do players start to question? I have no idea just asking...

Is it possible that Dungey starts to lose the team with throws like the one in overtime?
He’s a great competitor and a team leader and I hope he leads us to 10-2 but with throws like that on 1st down in overtime do players start to question? I have no idea just asking...
He was hit on the release otherwise was probably a touchdown.

He was hit on the release otherwise was probably a touchdown.
Exactly. And they go for 2 and make it and he is a great player. SU fans turn on people like hyena's.

My guess is the team appreciates him stiff arming a linebacker to fight for a first down. Or his 21yd run thatvibbekieve gave us the lead. Teams quit on bad quarterbacks. Despite some of the tone of this thread I’ll just say that Dubgey is not a bad QB. Everyone on that team knows he is ready for battle every time he gets on the field.

I think everyone appreciates his toughness and I don’t think he’s a bad qb at all.
I love watching him play but was just wondering if he might lose some of the team(receivers mostly) with the kind of throws he’s been making.
But I’m guessing he’s probably playing hurt and they respect him even more because of that

I have refrained from posting since the end of the Pitt loss because I was likely to say stupid emotional things that I would wish I never said. Predictably, there have been some truly over-the-top posts born of frustration and while I don't want to call them out, there are a few things I think need to be mentioned. for perspective.

The offense has had trouble against ACC competition. While we lead the ACC in total points overall 258 and avg 43.0 PPG, we are 7th in conference games with 90 points in 3 games or 30 PPG. (Pitt is 4th with 34.3 PPG. Pitt had a tougher schedule in the first 4 games.)

Why such a poor performance? Well, it is better than last year (9th place overall 27.4 PPG ) (conference 8th with l23.6). In some respect we all have a relative view of the offense. We were so challenged for the past several years scoring points that we view a mediocre performance as stellar. At the end of the day, we still have trouble pushing the ball into the end zone.

Why aren't we better at this point? Is it Dungey, the Oline, the running backs or the receivers? Probably enough blame to go around. While I believe Dungey is hurt, he is actually the same in completion pct as last year (60.0% vs 59.7%) and his raitng is actually higher. 134.39 vs. 122.76. (easier games early in the schedule)

How about the receivers? We are averaging 238 yards per game on 34 attempts (7.0 yards per attempt) versus 295 on 45 attempts per game (6.5 yards per attempt). So, while the completion percentage and yards er attempt are the same, we throwing a lot less.

We are rushing about 6 times more per game than last year with almost exactly the same conference results.

It is hard not to surmise that we are not much better than last year healthy versus healthy. That said, it is quite possible that the ACC is weker than last year (including Clemson).

I am afraid the defense has really been exposed, just in different ways than last year. The Dline is better and the strength of the team. The young secondary makes many mistakes but can really ball hawk. Passing D is far better while the run D is still poor.

We will see what hapens the rest of the way. Best guess is that we can make a bowl and maybe more. We may discover that the offense has stalled and not made much improvement and the defense has major issues.

The good news is that the secondary is young and holds great promise, we have some talented kids and we are ACC size and speed in more positions than ever before. TD is going to be exciting and will get us back to the top 25.

Keep the faith. LGO!

We have the same QB we have had for 4 years.

The receivers are different and not as good.

I happen to think the receivers are a bigger issue than the QB.

Just like on defense our LB’s are weak.

I LOVE DINO and think he is our guy and hope he is at CUSE til he retires from cosching. that said, simply the year is on just what you said:
Lack of wr development. alot of smug, whatever attitudes about losing erv and ish, 2 previous stsff recruits , 2 studs , and people banking on the system .

Yea , it seems as though we have sucked at recruiting lbs, but dino has brought in some good lb talent and its time for him to play them. whitner is a safety, Guthrie is an overachiever, and Armstrong is ok but does nothing really well. Let's see the 7 others. That said, this is a really tough scheme for lbs and we don't have a Derek Brooks around.

I have refrained from posting since the end of the Pitt loss because I was likely to say stupid emotional things that I would wish I never said. Predictably, there have been some truly over-the-top posts born of frustration and while I don't want to call them out, there are a few things I think need to be mentioned. for perspective.

The offense has had trouble against ACC competition. While we lead the ACC in total points overall 258 and avg 43.0 PPG, we are 7th in conference games with 90 points in 3 games or 30 PPG. (Pitt is 4th with 34.3 PPG. Pitt had a tougher schedule in the first 4 games.)

Why such a poor performance? Well, it is better than last year (9th place overall 27.4 PPG ) (conference 8th with l23.6). In some respect we all have a relative view of the offense. We were so challenged for the past several years scoring points that we view a mediocre performance as stellar. At the end of the day, we still have trouble pushing the ball into the end zone.

Why aren't we better at this point? Is it Dungey, the Oline, the running backs or the receivers? Probably enough blame to go around. While I believe Dungey is hurt, he is actually the same in completion pct as last year (60.0% vs 59.7%) and his raitng is actually higher. 134.39 vs. 122.76. (easier games early in the schedule)

How about the receivers? We are averaging 238 yards per game on 34 attempts (7.0 yards per attempt) versus 295 on 45 attempts per game (6.5 yards per attempt). So, while the completion percentage and yards er attempt are the same, we throwing a lot less.

We are rushing about 6 times more per game than last year with almost exactly the same conference results.

It is hard not to surmise that we are not much better than last year healthy versus healthy. That said, it is quite possible that the ACC is weker than last year (including Clemson).

I am afraid the defense has really been exposed, just in different ways than last year. The Dline is better and the strength of the team. The young secondary makes many mistakes but can really ball hawk. Passing D is far better while the run D is still poor.

We will see what hapens the rest of the way. Best guess is that we can make a bowl and maybe more. We may discover that the offense has stalled and not made much improvement and the defense has major issues.

The good news is that the secondary is young and holds great promise, we have some talented kids and we are ACC size and speed in more positions than ever before. TD is going to be exciting and will get us back to the top 25.

Keep the faith. LGO!
We're going to have to outscore people.

The the thing that gives me hope is that our defense this year has more gamebreaker ability, in terms of forcing turnovers and putting the opposing offense in to long downs after sacks.

I prefer shootouts to rock fights. Should be fun.

I LOVE DINO and think he is our guy and hope he is at CUSE til he retires from cosching. that said, simply the year is on just what you said:
Lack of wr development. alot of smug, whatever attitudes about losing erv and ish, 2 previous stsff recruits , 2 studs , and people banking on the system .

Dino turned Erv into a stud slot receiver.

1- Can we all agree that a Dungey who cannot throw the ball or is not trusted to throw the ball is not a viable option?
2- Assuming we all agree, would it then not make sense to put Devito in?

Since the moment that game ended, all I have said is that I was concerned based on the playcalling midway through the 4th, when we had the ball deep in our own territory, with a senior star QB, and a defense that was stopping no one. When I saw run-run-run-punt it made me worried that something was not right with Dungey, and I said if he is incapable or not trusted to throw there we needed to consider a change.

If he's healthy, he is our guy (although that would speak to a mini-stroke of sorts from the coaches on that series which feels like another issue)...

teammates love a competitor. they are more inspired by actions than words. anyone who's played the game will tell you so.

Yea , it seems as though we have sucked at recruiting lbs, but dino has brought in some good lb talent and its time for him to play them. whitner is a safety, Guthrie is an overachiever, and Armstrong is ok but does nothing really well. Let's see the 7 others. That said, this is a really tough scheme for lbs and we don't have a Derek Brooks around.
ish did u read what Bam was saying about the lb stepping backwards first. Blows my mind. I was on a ten minute rant and had to stop or I was going in the loony bin. Wth

I don't pretend to know the dynamics of the team and what they're thinking but if I were a receiver the amounts of time ED takes off along with the poor passes would bother me. You work hard to get open and boom...ED's running. Yes, protection break downs happen and yes ED is far better this year than in the past in looking for his WR's when his protection breaks down but you know the WR's and Dino would rather have the ball in the WR's hands far more often. It just reminds me of a point guard that shoots too often and doesn't let the plays develop. You work hard to get open and there he goes shooting again. Or, you are open and he's shooting again because he didn't see you.

This is year 3 of Babers system. The numbers have to be better and if it weren't for the incredible field position the offense has had due to the special teams and a lot more turnovers I'm not sure this offense is really that much better than the first 2 years. I don't know if ED is hurt but production is production and 18 for 38 for 195 yards against a bad Pitt D is not acceptable and I am sure ED would be the first to agree with that.

I wonder if Babers will now have a shorter leash? Is there a guy open and ED doesn't see him...protection breaks down and then ED takes off? ED is missing his targets? I'd love to see ED just slam any criticism with good QB play and make this a no brainer and that is what I'm hoping to see. Again, it'll be interesting to see what Babers does if he doesn't because 18 for 38 in a short passing offense is plain unacceptable. Like it or not, the QB is the one that gets all the attention...good or bad.

Would TD be able to spot a WR open quicker? Would he deliever to the spot needed for the receiver to catch and run? Is he strong/fast enough to get some extra yards when things break down? On long passes will he throw it so the WR can catch up to it or throw it like a bullet where no one can catch it? Can he make throws that ED just can't? Clemson went for it and benched their senior starter would Babers ever do the same? I admire Babers loyalty and I get it and I suppose it depends on what the end goal of the team is here. Reward the seniors with a bowl or do you want to see if you can get to that next level now? The plus of that is also we would get a glimpse of TD could do now. It is possible that Amiee could be better, we don't know. This isn't a "the backup QB is better" thing. It's just a I want the most possible success for this team thing and do trust Babers to do that so whatever he decides, I'm for.

I don't pretend to know the dynamics of the team and what they're thinking but if I were a receiver the amounts of time ED takes off along with the poor passes would bother me. You work hard to get open and boom...ED's running. Yes, protection break downs happen and yes ED is far better this year than in the past in looking for his WR's when his protection breaks down but you know the WR's and Dino would rather have the ball in the WR's hands far more often. It just reminds me of a point guard that shoots too often and doesn't let the plays develop. You work hard to get open and there he goes shooting again. Or, you are open and he's shooting again because he didn't see you.

This is year 3 of Babers system. The numbers have to be better and if it weren't for the incredible field position the offense has had due to the special teams and a lot more turnovers I'm not sure this offense is really that much better than the first 2 years. I don't know if ED is hurt but production is production and 18 for 38 for 195 yards against a bad Pitt D is not acceptable and I am sure ED would be the first to agree with that.

I wonder if Babers will now have a shorter leash? Is there a guy open and ED doesn't see him...protection breaks down and then ED takes off? ED is missing his targets? I'd love to see ED just slam any criticism with good QB play and make this a no brainer and that is what I'm hoping to see. Again, it'll be interesting to see what Babers does if he doesn't because 18 for 38 in a short passing offense is plain unacceptable. Like it or not, the QB is the one that gets all the attention...good or bad.

Would TD be able to spot a WR open quicker? Would he deliever to the spot needed for the receiver to catch and run? Is he strong/fast enough to get some extra yards when things break down? On long passes will he throw it so the WR can catch up to it or throw it like a bullet where no one can catch it? Can he make throws that ED just can't? Clemson went for it and benched their senior starter would Babers ever do the same? I admire Babers loyalty and I get it and I suppose it depends on what the end goal of the team is here. Reward the seniors with a bowl or do you want to see if you can get to that next level now? The plus of that is also we would get a glimpse of TD could do now. It is possible that Amiee could be better, we don't know. This isn't a "the backup QB is better" thing. It's just a I want the most possible success for this team thing and do trust Babers to do that so whatever he decides, I'm for.
Can you be more intellectually dishonest.? Your entire post disparages and undermines Dungey and makes it plain you think anyone would be better. You then say half-heartedly that you support Babers, and yet this is his decision and you are casting doubt as to whether he knows what he is doing. The Qb on any team doesn't play perfect every game and a good team has other people and units step and win a game for them. Like could the defense step up and make 1 crucial stop? People forget about that game 2 years ago in Pittsburgh when the offense scored 60 points and they still lost because the defense was weak then and it's weak now.

Can you be more intellectually dishonest.? Your entire post disparages and undermines Dungey and makes it plain you think anyone would be better. You then say half-heartedly that you support Babers, and yet this is his decision and you are casting doubt as to whether he knows what he is doing. The Qb on any team doesn't play perfect every game and a good team has other people and units step and win a game for them. Like could the defense step up and make 1 crucial stop? People forget about that game 2 years ago in Pittsburgh when the offense scored 60 points and they still lost because the defense was weak then and it's weak now.

The thread is about TD playing for ED. I know you like to get people off the topic but I stayed on it.

You sure did. Keep hammering your agenda.

My point is this if I did not explain it well enough. Dino has to a point a conundrum in which if ED is hurt he has to weigh his options. What is best for the team? How far do I go to let ED play his senior year? Is ED hurting the team by being out there? You see, it isn't that black and white and there are many sides to this that Babers has to look at. I would love, and have stated this countless times, to have ED be QB1 and finish the year in a bowl game. The kid has given his body for this team and has earned the right to lead them. I am just saying that Dino may have a very difficult decision ahead of him depending on how things flow. ED has his pluses and minus's like every player that has ever played the game and yes, I pointed some of those out. Overall, he's a good college QB.

It ain’t weak now

ish did u read what Bam was saying about the lb stepping backwards first. Blows my mind. I was on a ten minute rant and had to stop or I was going in the loony bin. Wth

No, i missed it, shu. Bams comment in this post or another?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom