Play devito the rest of the year. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Play devito the rest of the year.

We have the same QB we have had for 4 years.

The receivers are different and not as good.

I happen to think the receivers are a bigger issue than the QB.

Just like on defense our LB’s are weak.

Exactly! Spot on.

• Stupid offense
  • MAC offense
  • Wrong offense
  • Dungey's injured
  • Dungey isn't a fit for this offense
  • Dungey sucks
  • DeVito should be playing
  • DeVito should be starting
  • Not listed here: Explain_________________________________

Check all that are applicable.
Slacker, You missed a bunch:

Fire the OC
Fire the DC
If Babers doesn’t like that, let him walk also
Lack of talent is NOT an excuse

So, to summarize, in the space of 7 days, we’ve gone from:

Dungey for Heisman to Dungey to the bench
Lock DB up for life to fire the coordinators and let DB walk if he doesn’t like it
We’re back, baby! to we’ll never be a winner again
From 11-1 to 4-8
From undefeated the rest of the year to winless the rest of the year
From we goin Sizzler to shut your anorexic, malnutrition, tapeworm-having overdose on Dick Gregory Bahamanian diet drinking a$$ up.

Last edited:
Slacker, You missed a bunch:

Fire the OC
Fire the DC
If Babers doesn’t like that, let him walk also
Lack of talent is NOT an excuse

So, to summarize, in the space of 7 days, we’ve gone from:

Dungey for Heisman to Dungey to the bench
Lock DB up for life to fire the coordinators and let DB walk if he doesn’t like it
We’re back, baby! to we’ll never be a winner again
From 11-1 to 4-8
From undefeated the rest of the year to winless the rest of the year
From we goin Sizzler to shut your anorexic, malnutrition, tapeworm-having overdose on Dick Gregory Bahamanian diet drinking a$$ up.

tumblr_inline_oa233qWZpF1rpcnpz_540.gif

Our biggest issues were at LB and WR and still are.

My other issue is that it seems like our coaches are running an offense that isn’t tailored to ED but also isn’t what they really want to run when we can take this O to fifth gear. It seems like we’re somewhere in the middle.

Immediately as that play was unfolding in OT I was livid - sprinting right, on bad turf, with a QB that isn’t Aaron Rodgers to a WR that isn’t a huge, physical veteran.

There are so many things that can go wrong with that play in that situation.

Don’t want to let ED off the hook, he has to play better, but that was terrible.

If you read the post-game article, Dungey had 3 options on the play according to Dino -- throw underneath to outside receiver Jamal Custis, who ran an 8-yard stop route, throw over the top to Johnson on a corner route or keep the ball himself and rush around the edge.

Not sure if Custis was open or not, but what happened was most definitely not handled well.

^^^^This. Pitt defended us perfectly. We will see press coverage the rest of the way. Out schemed all the way around. Out coached because we knew they would run and we had nothing ready to stop it.
You are probably correct. The fact that we have a 5'8 155 pound slot receiver, a 5'8" 167 pound receiver help teams like Pitt do that. Babers like Ward with LB's has recruited lots of WR's over three years but continues to play only those mighty mites. Same with Ward and his LB's only three play when there are 10 on the roster. Looks like they have not done a good job of identifiying recruits that will actually help the program. Sharod Johnson, Russell Thompson-Bishop are all big bodied receivers that would make press coverage more difficult. Must be they are not ready to see the field so the press coverage will continue and the passing game will sputter.

I’m cool with Devito the rest of the way.

We’re not going to have that “We’re Back!” Season now, and we might as well be as good as we can be next year. That involves getting Tommy game experience.

There’s also the whole possibility that Devito is actually a lot better than Dungey.

So your saying let's loose the rest of our games to get ready for next year. 4-2 is okay and we can still have a good season.

First I think ED is hurt but that said...

I still think for his NFL future it would have been better for him to be a hybrid TE/RB/WR and if Babers did that switch in the spring and TD was QB1 the whole time I think the team as a whole would have been better. I like ED is space and he has an unique ability to make people miss and break tackles. I also think he is the best RB vision wise and sees holes and reads very well. Said this last year as well but I understand it's hard to change positions, especially a QB who has been solid when he's been healthy and was often the guy who kept SU in games because of his unique ability. Would I be writing this again if ED wasn't hurt...probably not.

This ain't happening I know and now we have to hope he's healthy enough to make his throws because he's the horse this team is riding and I do believe he can do the job, he has to because if he is partly hurt and plays the rest of the year hurt I'm not so sure this team will be as good as they could have been with a healthy ED or with TD out there. Get well soon Eric because I really want to see how you'll do with the final 6 games in your last regular season and want to see you (and all the seniors) have success in finishing the season and going to a bowl.

You are probably correct. The fact that we have a 5'8 155 pound slot receiver, a 5'8" 167 pound receiver help teams like Pitt do that. Babers like Ward with LB's has recruited lots of WR's over three years but continues to play only those mighty mites. Same with Ward and his LB's only three play when there are 10 on the roster. Looks like they have not done a good job of identifiying recruits that will actually help the program. Sharod Johnson, Russell Thompson-Bishop are all big bodied receivers that would make press coverage more difficult. Must be they are not ready to see the field so the press coverage will continue and the passing game will sputter.
Is there anything the staff's done right?

First I think ED is hurt but that said...

I still think for his NFL future it would have been better for him to be a hybrid TE/RB/WR and if Babers did that switch in the spring and TD was QB1 the whole time I think the team as a whole would have been better. I like ED is space and he has an unique ability to make people miss and break tackles. I also think he is the best RB vision wise and sees holes and reads very well. Said this last year as well but I understand it's hard to change positions, especially a QB who has been solid when he's been healthy and was often the guy who kept SU in games because of his unique ability. Would I be writing this again if ED wasn't hurt...probably not.

This ain't happening I know and now we have to hope he's healthy enough to make his throws because he's the horse this team is riding and I do believe he can do the job, he has to because if he is partly hurt and plays the rest of the year hurt I'm not so sure this team will be as good as they could have been with a healthy ED or with TD out there. Get well soon Eric because I really want to see how you'll do with the final 6 games in your last regular season and want to see you (and all the seniors) have success in finishing the season and going to a bowl.
Spoton

If Babers or OC called a play with CUSTIS not going to end zone at 6’5” and Johnson not running comeback are we the dumb ones. Who in their right ment would not have Johnson make the small catch and maybe great it off or send the giant into double coverage to fight for a catch. What the heck am I missing here.

When TD went into the game against FSU, the FSU defensive staff had designed a game plan to stop an Eric Dungey led dual threat offense with a heavy running component. Since they don't have any film on TD, they didn't really know what to expect and had to stick with the ED game plan. That's why back up QB's are often very effective, they have the defense off balance and just guessing as to what they will do. But people here are finding fools gold if they don't think that these defensive staffs that get paid millions of dollars won't figure it out and fast. I'm sure they already have a small book on TD just from his limited action so far. And what kind of success could he have when we really have no running game. I imagine the Orange would be in 3rd and long a lot and the defense would would bring pressure and try to put him down, and maybe injure him.

Coordinator put him in a position to fail in OT

It's first down, there isnt a rule against throwing the ball away. As a senior leader I hope that is somewhere in your thought process. The roll out gave 3 options, two were taken away when the line got blown up. Throw the ball away and live to see another day. You have 3 more downs to get 10 yards.

If Babers or OC called a play with CUSTIS not going to end zone at 6’5” and Johnson not running comeback are we the dumb ones. Who in their right ment would not have Johnson make the small catch and maybe great it off or send the giant into double coverage to fight for a catch. What the heck am I missing here.
Did it occur to you that Babers may have thought that is what the Pitt DC thought he would do? So instead he wanted Johnson to run an out to the corner which they weren't expecting. Except Johnson didn't sell it and therefore created no separation. And the pass rush was in Dungeys face, since we have no real running threat.

That’s classic overthinking in my opinion. If ur sending someone to win the game or tie and I don’t send your tallest most physical wr who doesn’t make easy catches but catches all the tough balls it Custis without a thought. Next guy up would be Harris in my opinion. Win with your horses, not your ponies.

That’s classic overthinking in my opinion. If ur sending someone to win the game or tie and I don’t send your tallest most physical wr who doesn’t make easy catches but catches all the tough balls it Custis without a thought. Next guy up would be Harris in my opinion. Win with your horses, not your ponies.
If a play like that worked, everybody would have said it was brilliant. It looked like a good play that wasn't executed well. I think Babers wanted to hit a big TD, and while there D was off balance, go for 2 and the win. I don't think he wanted to put the D on the field again.

If a play like that worked, everybody would have said it was brilliant. It looked like a good play that wasn't executed well. I think Babers wanted to hit a big TD, and while there D was off balance, go for 2 and the win. I don't think he wanted to put the D on the field again.
I don’t even mind th call just didn’t think right people were in right spots

I may be out of my mind but I would like to see Babers come out of the bye week and announce Devito as the starting QB. Satan and Dabo did not have a problem making the tough decision of replacing their senior QB’s with freshman. I love the leadership Dungey brings to the team but he is injured, he is struggling with his accuracy, and I honestly think it is time for this program to look to the future.

As Whigham said earlier today we are playing like a 6-6 football team know so it’s time for this staff to shakes things up.

Dungey vs UNC will be telling. Im not advocating for tommy to get his real shot yet, but Dungey’s consistently dinged up in a league where if we lose a “should win game” it puts us in a hole that we hardly have the rope to get out of.

Bye week should help.

stop eating your young. it's embarrassing. players read these boards. parents of players read these boards. and recruits read these boards. consider this before you bash your team, its players and coaches.
I'm talking up the skills of another player how am I bashing anyone.

What happens if Devito came in and the offense looks like it did against WMU?

One quarter vs Western Mich or a full game vs FSU. Which is more telling? I want Dungey in vs unc but I think the real Tommy showed out in the dome.

One quarter vs Western Mich or a full game vs FSU. Which is more telling? I want Dungey in vs unc but I think the real Tommy showed out in the dome.

It wasn't an entire game. It was a half. I'm just not of the belief you keep rotating quarterbacks.

Everyone falls in love with Rex?

Nah.

In that scenario where you go to Devito and he fails, you take a Chance on Aime for the last 4 games and still preserve his redshirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom