Play devito the rest of the year. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Play devito the rest of the year.

That's all he has been given and guess what, it was a very good half. When the not Heisman hopeful went out, it was 6-0. Believe final score was 30-7. 24 points, not bad for his one half lol.

Im guessing you started watching in game 3 then.

There are too many shortfalls in the offense that Dungey can somewhat remedy and DeVito can't.

Nah.

In that scenario where you go to Devito and he fails, you take a Chance on Aime for the last 4 games and still preserve his redshirt.
wait have we gotten to the point where we are benching Dungey regardless, or am i missing the sarcasm meter. As it reads this post is saying we should just go down the roster until something works?

wait have we gotten to the point where we are benching Dungey regardless, or am i missing the sarcasm meter. As it reads this post is saying we should just go down the roster until something works?

Yeah because all of the other QBs would thrive with minimal talent at WR and Pierce out. Don't you know that Dungey is holding us back? DeVito would have us averaging 60 a game throwing to all of these experienced weapons.

Even when we were dominating in the first couple of games in the year, watching the touchdown passes, he was short on almost every single one of them. I know our receivers get a lot of flack on here, but they've had to make some moves to get some catches. Now that we're playing against better DBs our receivers, and many other receivers on other teams will not be able to do this and the QB needs to be very accurate to complete passes, I am not sure Dungy is capable of this. It's been something every year that's talked about, I get it, the kid is a competitor but we haven't been to one bowl game with his as our guy. I'm not against a change and giving the guy who will actually be here the next 3 years to get used to his receivers and line getting that much needed experience.

Can DeVito play LB?

The real question is can DeVito lead us to more points to offset the problems at LB.

Rushing numbers against our D are just going to get worse. There's enough film now to expose it, and our guys are just going to break down a little more each game. We're going to have to outscore our way to 8 wins.

I think we'll get 7 no matter what, and that ain't bad.

Even when we were dominating in the first couple of games in the year, watching the touchdown passes, he was short on almost every single one of them. I know our receivers get a lot of flack on here, but they've had to make some moves to get some catches. Now that we're playing against better DBs our receivers, and many other receivers on other teams will not be able to do this and the QB needs to be very accurate to complete passes, I am not sure Dungy is capable of this. It's been something every year that's talked about, I get it, the kid is a competitor but we haven't been to one bowl game with his as our guy. I'm not against a change and giving the guy who will actually be here the next 3 years to get used to his receivers and line getting that much needed experience.
You’re sure to receive a lot of flack for this but I agree. That is, if Dungey can’t stay healthy. Which he has not managed.

The real question is can DeVito lead us to more points to offset the problems at LB.

Rushing numbers against our D are just going to get worse. There's enough film now to expose it, and our guys are just going to break down a little more each game. We're going to have to outscore our way to 8 wins.

DeVito seems to have the better arm.

And yes, Eric seems to have lost a bit off his fastball.

But, Dungey remains the most competitive athlete I have ever seen on the Hill.

He is the better option right now.

I can't imagine that we will not see changes at LB.

DeVito seems to have the better arm.

And yes, Eric seems to have lost a bit off his fastball.

But, Dungey remains the most competitive athlete I have ever seen on the Hill.

He is the better option right now.

I can't imagine that we will not see changes at LB.

I'm guessing (hoping) two weeks will cure Dungey of whatever is bothering him. It's not just that he lost zip on his fastball, it's that he lost the location. He was missing the bubble screen throws. They're the gimme's in this offense.

I don't think we need to see changes to the starters at LB. I think we just need to see a rotation. Then that can be used to determine who gets the critical snaps in the 4th quarter.

Nope. Follow the chain of related posts. This was in response to the OP suggesting that IF we went with Devito and IF he failed, the Board would be asking for Rex. That's why the word "scenario" was in bold in my original post.

Is there anything the staff's done right?

Szmyt_Andre2017.jpg

Nope. Follow the chain of related posts. This was in response to the OP suggesting that IF we went with Devito and IF he failed, the Board would be asking for Rex. That's why the word "scenario" was in bold in my original post.

I thought we would just go back to Dungey. That’s where my confusion came from.

When (or should I say If) we get bowl eligible, how will they handle the QB situation for a bowl game? It's been so long that i don't know how you handle the future with the present at the QB position?

When (or should I say If) we get bowl eligible, how will they handle the QB situation for a bowl game? It's been so long that i don't know how you handle the future with the present at the QB position?

If Dungey is healthy, he plays after working 4 years to get to a bowl game. Get Devito additional reps in the practices leading up to the game and a few series in the game though

The tale of Dino's offense will be seen next year. TD is his recruit and from what I read a better fit for the scheme. My hope is it is smoother and faster. For some reason watching our O since Dino's been here it seems like a car not firing on all cylinders. Can still get you where you want to go, but not as smooth as you would like. That said - I think a festering underlying issue is that on game day our staff has come out on the short end a few more times than I like.

When TD went into the game against FSU, the FSU defensive staff had designed a game plan to stop an Eric Dungey led dual threat offense with a heavy running component. Since they don't have any film on TD, they didn't really know what to expect and had to stick with the ED game plan. That's why back up QB's are often very effective, they have the defense off balance and just guessing as to what they will do. But people here are finding fools gold if they don't think that these defensive staffs that get paid millions of dollars won't figure it out and fast. I'm sure they already have a small book on TD just from his limited action so far. And what kind of success could he have when we really have no running game. I imagine the Orange would be in 3rd and long a lot and the defense would would bring pressure and try to put him down, and maybe injure him.

How will any QB be successful if these defensive coordinators train their immense prowess on our QB?

Don't see it getting worse those were road games. Dillon will be banged up by the time we play BC. ND will get yards against us but that should be expected if they are ranked top 10 and at least its not in South Bend. That dude for Pitt looked like an NFLer rest of the team might not be amazing but he looked as good as the guys who have had success for them and its not like they don't always have a decent OL like BC always does. We should have won that game by 2 TDs despite him gashing us thats not why we lost its cause the offense did nothing after going up 14-0 until after the 2nd half lighting delay and in fact gave Pitt points.

Agree with you on the outscore to 8 wins part. We might need a 2 QB system the rest of the way so the offense can go full throttle and run as many plays as Dino wants. Devito has missed his share of throws (but I think we all prefer overthrows to short arms) and who knows where the WRs are collectively lots of mistakes at that position.

I am not suggesting a change BUT I think it may be a lot easier for Dungey to play like Dungey and run a lot go hurry up etc etc if hes not taking every snap and Devito gets a few series.

How will any QB be successful if these defensive coordinators train their immense prowess on our QB?
Have a viable running. Right now Dungey is the running game. Which is why Babers isn't putting him in. They will do to him is what Ward should have done to Brice. Play man, bring pressure and knock him down and see if he can handle it. That is what Babers doesn't want to happen, have him get hurt or take a blow to his confidence. If Howard improves, maybe he will play some then. Next year with Adams, Howard and Neal, there could actually be a ground attack which there hasn't been now for 3 years.

Yeah, and fire everyone. You know, just run out there and call your own plays.

Have a viable running. Right now Dungey is the running game. Which is why Babers isn't putting him in. They will do to him is what Ward should have done to Brice. Play man, bring pressure and knock him down and see if he can handle it. That is what Babers doesn't want to happen, have him get hurt or take a blow to his confidence. If Howard improves, maybe he will play some then. Next year with Adams, Howard and Neal, there could actually be a ground attack which there hasn't been now for 3 years.

Sarcasm font was disabled.

A good accurate QB is very hard to beat, even when they know the book on the QB. I’m not worried that any DC Is going to “figure out” a QB.

Sarcasm font was disabled.

A good accurate QB is very hard to beat, even when they know the book on the QB. I’m not worried that any DC Is going to “figure out” a QB.
You have to keep a defense off balance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom