Players are just not good enough. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Players are just not good enough.

Talents there. Don’t understand the we’re not good enough argument. Its not the whole picture.
We’re a top level point guard away from being a top 10-15 team. Problem is, that’s a huge piece to be missing and there’s no one close to that on the roster. SU will be SU again when we recruit elite ball handlers.

We’re a top level point guard away from being a top 10-15 team. Problem is, that’s a huge piece to be missing and there’s no one close to that on the roster. SU will be SU again when we recruit elite ball handlers.

We also have a glaring hole in the middle with centers who can't score with their back to the basket.

We have forwards who aren't nearly up to the level that we have had in the past.

Yet we're only missing a PG? I disagree.

We also have a glaring hole in the middle with centers who can't score with their back to the basket.

We have forwards who aren't nearly up to the level that we have had in the past.

Yet we're only missing a PG? I disagree.

I've been told on here that our forwards are "elite", so it must be true.

Did State have any 5-star players? I don’t see any of their names on the nba mock draft boards. I don’t see us as having been less talented than teams that are destroying us.

We absolutely do look like we’re incompetent in many aspects, but I attribute a lot of that to not being prepared for what teams are doing to us. Our guys have shown they can do the things we expect of them. When they don’t do those things, part of the reason has to be that they’re not put in the right situation to be able to do the. And then, because we aren’t supremely talented, things tend to snowball.

We aren’t recruiting at the levels we need to survive with our styles. We, as fans,get overly enamored of whoever we do get, and then the rah-rah bunch tries to tell us that our #50 recruit is really underrated because... the scouts hate us/no one (properly) assesses foreign kids/he was hurt as a junior so e’erbody slept on ‘im/JB will coach ‘m up/he’s ideal for the zone... But really we have a team of 20-100 kids, and we are a better team when we have nba talent.

JB is tired/old/lazy now. The zone doesn’t have the same impact it once did—why would anyone expect that other coaches wouldn’t figure it out? We don’t have pro players. We have fundamental flaws. Our power positions are played by people without power. Our veteran point guard has been displaced by a slow rookie. We don’t have a firm lineup.

It’s lots of things. But it’s not that the other teams are more talented, save Duke.

Talents there. Don’t understand the we’re not good enough argument. Its not the whole picture.
The talent is not there...it's plain to see that outside of battle our team is not filled with even the same types of guys on other good teams. Our bigs stink, our forwards stink and the D has been poor often this season. This is all on the coaching staff and JB...his ship. His descsions...

Did State have any 5-star players? I don’t see any of their names on the nba mock draft boards. I don’t see us as having been less talented than teams that are destroying us.

We absolutely do look like we’re incompetent in many aspects, but I attribute a lot of that to not being prepared for what teams are doing to us. Our guys have shown they can do the things we expect of them. When they don’t do those things, part of the reason has to be that they’re not put in the right situation to be able to do the. And then, because we aren’t supremely talented, things tend to snowball.

We aren’t recruiting at the levels we need to survive with our styles. We, as fans,get overly enamored of whoever we do get, and then the rah-rah bunch tries to tell us that our #50 recruit is really underrated because... the scouts hate us/no one (properly) assesses foreign kids/he was hurt as a junior so e’erbody slept on ‘im/JB will coach ‘m up/he’s ideal for the zone... But really we have a team of 20-100 kids, and we are a better team when we have nba talent.

JB is tired/old/lazy now. The zone doesn’t have the same impact it once did—why would anyone expect that other coaches wouldn’t figure it out? We don’t have pro players. We have fundamental flaws. Our power positions are played by people without power. Our veteran point guard has been displaced by a slow rookie. We don’t have a firm lineup.

It’s lots of things. But it’s not that the other teams are more talented, save Duke.

It’s not a question of having players on mock boards or not , it’s about having just enough diversity in skill set in the players you have to function as a cohesive unit .. we have a bunch of redundant players who do nothing to complement each other but each , as an individual , seems to have talent ..

We’re several years away from that.

Too easy to exploit overloading the zone. Any good team has constantly overloaded the zone all game long.
That’s a good observation. I’ve noticed the overloads in games against NCSU, FSU and VA TECH. The players have been taught how to handle it. The defensive issues do need to be addressed because we’ve regressed from last season. But the real problems are on offense, which tends to stagnate when outside shots aren’t falling. Frank needs to drive the ball.

Don’t like Goodine or Girard? They will be here next year.

The reference was ballhandlers. And unless SU recruits a decent center for next year, it’ll be more of the same.

The reference was ballhandlers. And unless SU recruits a decent center for next year, it’ll be more of the same.

I see - hard to tell a lot about ball handling and true point guard skills from highlights.

Need to see full games - and I haven’t.

Raw talent as a team? We probably have more than NC State.

But we need to stop pretending that small forwards are point guards and that the only centers we can attract are 4- or 5-year projects.

If this coaching staff can’t figure that out, we need one that can.

If you don't want to watch this team, go watch UConn or Georgetown or someone. No one is making you watch SU
Alas CTO, these people are frustrated. Last summer it was foreseen that this team was going far. 5 returning starters (unheard of in college today), a transfer who could shoot the lights out, a freshman pg who can at least spell Frank or even push him for minutes. JB to play 9 with ease. Top 4 or 5 in the ACC. Top 25 in the nation, maybe top10. Even the experts said so. And thing have fallen apart. As I said earlier this week, SU can beat almost anybody and lose to almost any. I'll watch them to their last game. I'll cringe but I'll wstch.

Alas CTO, these people are frustrated. Last summer it was foreseen that this team was going far. 5 returning starters (unheard of in college today), a transfer who could shoot the lights out, a freshman pg who can at least spell Frank or even push him for minutes. JB to play 9 with ease. Top 4 or 5 in the ACC. Top 25 in the nation, maybe top10. Even the experts said so. And thing have fallen apart. As I said earlier this week, SU can beat almost anybody and lose to almost any. I'll watch them to their last game. I'll cringe but I'll wstch.

Not sure why people think we can beat almost anybody. We got Duke because they were down two starters. Beyond that who the hell have we beaten? Ohio State is meh, ditto for Clemson. Everyone else we have beaten is a stiff.

Not sure why people think we can beat almost anybody. We got Duke because they were down two starters. Beyond that who the hell have we beaten? Ohio State is meh, ditto for Clemson. Everyone else we have beaten is a stiff.

Exactly. We haven’t proven we can beat any legit 0.500+ ACC team in the league. We beat Duke with a historic stroke of luck including 1) their best perimeter shooter being out due to sickness, 2) their PG and defensive catalyst out after 5 min due to injury, 3) 3 free points on a bank shot 3 pointer by Buddy, and 4) 3 more free points on a freakish 80 foot heave by Hughes. That was ‘all stars aligned’ 1-in-100 win but people here seems to think it means we can compete with Duke on a night-in/night-out basis.

They go through the motions and half ass it. I don't know what's happening in their heads, but if they brought it every night, this team would be a lot better off. They've been blown out in six of their eight losses.

Going through the motions and half assing it is an indictment of the coaching.

It’s not a question of having players on mock boards or not , it’s about having just enough diversity in skill set in the players you have to function as a cohesive unit .. we have a bunch of redundant players who do nothing to complement each other but each , as an individual , seems to have talent ..
Agreed. That's kinda what i meant when i said "we have fatal flaws." I wouldn't say we're "redundant," though.Some would call that 'depth.' But, we do have functional voids that we can't overcome with the style of play and painfully inept offense.

Exactly. We haven’t proven we can beat any legit 0.500+ ACC team in the league. We beat Duke with a historic stroke of luck including 1) their best perimeter shooter being out due to sickness, 2) their PG and defensive catalyst out after 5 min due to injury, 3) 3 free points on a bank shot 3 pointer by Buddy, and 4) 3 more free points on a freakish 80 foot heave by Hughes. That was ‘all stars aligned’ 1-in-100 win but people here seems to think it means we can compete with Duke on a night-in/night-out basis.
Right. And the replacement for one of those guys went 1 for 11 or somesuch? Our fans who are still crowing about the Duke win like to point out that Duke won without that guard after our game, but there's a huge difference between losing a key cog at the beginning of a game versus knowing he's going to be out, and being able to prep for that absence. Good win for us, but it didn't mean what some of us portrayed it as. Any rematch would be U-G-L-Y.

The sad thing is, I believe they are good enough. For some reason they can't shoot the ball in some game situations. And when they don't shoot well, they lose focus and intensity. Why they don't shoot well? I don't know, and nobody else seems to know either. According to all reports, they hit those same shots in practice, and obviously in some games.

Maybe they're just a bunch of head cases.

When you’re not a top 15 team this happens. NC State literally dudnt miss in the 2nd half; we weren’t scoring but unless you’re Duke or UK this will happen
They didn't miss but sometimes you don't miss because you are hot and other times you don't miss because you are carving up a D and literally getting any shot you want. I think last night was the latter. The minutes Tyus played in the back of the zone was a dunk fest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom