Players are just not good enough. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Players are just not good enough.

What offense are we even running?
Requires whoever has the ball to break down the defense. If we had Flynn on this team, our offense would be just fine. It's puzzling that even though we haven't had a PG like that in a while, we haven't adapted.

We have different definitions of good. If all you are looking at is 15 and 9 then sure... Oshae had a good season. When you look closer, you see 35% shooting including 37% from 2 (!). All of this in 38 minutes, including many 40min games. It was a function of incredible volume. He got a pass (at least from me) because he was a freshman, and the team was severely limited in terms of offensive factors.

However, I do agree his 3pt shooting and ft shooting has regressed this year. It's proven by the %s.

Yup. On a normal Cuse team he would’ve been 9th man material as a freshman. Which is fine. He may still develop into a really good player as a junior/senior...which is the normal progression for most recruits.

Being pressed into early heavy PT gave the impression that he was better than he was. I’d like to think most D-1 players could average 15 ppg or whatever if they play 40 minutes and take 15 shots. Somebody has to score.

Requires whoever has the ball to break down the defense. If we had Flynn on this team, our offense would be just fine. It's puzzling that even though we haven't had a PG like that in a while, we haven't adapted.

Yup. No PG that can go by anybody and create anything, and no low post scorer. Not a recipe for success.

Put Flynn and AO on this team, and we’re top 10.

How are they limited? We have multiple players that can score all over the floor. They just choose to jack up threes, take long twos and drive into impossible circus shots because they’re depended on to figure it out.

I shouldnt say choose, because noones moving around to help them out.
Score all over the floor? Huh?

We have absolutely no one who is even remotely capable of scoring with his back to the basket.
Our collective three point shooting ability is shoddy at best.
We have one player who can drive to the basket against ACC caliber competition.
Our second best penetrator is more likely to throw the ball out of bounds than he is to put it through the hoop.

What am I missing?

Yup. No PG that can go by anybody and create anything, and no low post scorer. Not a recipe for success.

Put Flynn and AO on this team, and we’re top 10.
I think just a scoring center alone (AO or senior Rak) could put this team in the top 10.

We have nobody that’s good in the post, 2 good three point shooters and 2-3 more average at best ones.

One guy with the handle to get to the basket and the ability to finish.

And mostly poor passers.

There may not be one NBA player on this team.

Our good teams usually have at least 3-4.

Offensive scheming often masks whatever talent deficienses may be present. I don’t think we have that mask, its just offensively ugly 50% of the time.

Going through the motions and half assing it is an indictment of the coaching.

I'll exaggerate a bit, but I'm fairly certain I saw more effort/intensity on defense from Braswell than I've seen from the rest of this team combined all season. There were some shades of our old forwards getting out to the three point line, running back down to the baseline, providing help across the lane (while making the play)...it's been so long since I've seen that effort. It was sort of shocking to watch.

"What's this guy doing...why the hustle...how's he contesting a shooter and getting back down to the baseline to make a play on the same defensive possession!"

I'll exaggerate a bit, but I'm fairly certain I saw more effort/intensity on defense from Braswell than I've seen from the rest of this team combined all season. There were some shades of our old forwards getting out to the three point line, running back down to the baseline, providing help across the lane (while making the play)...it's been so long since I've seen that effort. It was sort of shocking to watch.

"What's this guy doing...why the hustle...how's he contesting a shooter and getting back down to the baseline to make a play on the same defensive possession!"
I don't know about that. I didn't see Braswell actually doing anything special, but he seemed to somehow still be at the heart of a few nice defensive outcomes. Almost as if State thought he'd be a position to exploit, but Braswell was up to the challenge/not as incompetent as expected. He did well, but those steals/deflections almost seemed gifted. I'm conflicted when i say I hope we get to see more of him, as it means someone else we depend on must have failed bigly.

I don't know about that. I didn't see Braswell actually doing anything special, but he seemed to somehow still be at the heart of a few nice defensive outcomes. Almost as if State thought he'd be a position to exploit, but Braswell was up to the challenge/not as incompetent as expected. He did well, but those steals/deflections almost seemed gifted. I'm conflicted when i say I hope we get to see more of him, as it means someone else we depend on must have failed bigly.

I'm not clamoring for more PT, and I kept waiting for them to nail him with a lob when he drifted out to the shooter...but the effort was there and noticeable. He seemed to be playing in fast forward comparatively. :)

Yup. I said in the game thread he was playing defense like Grant, Southerland, and Fair used to.

I think he was just covering more ground and getting to his spots quicker, and things that looked like they were open no longer were.

Yup. I said in the game thread he was playing defense like Grant, Southerland, and Fair used to.

You would hope to see that anytime a player gets in who never plays. So it's not uncommon to see the hustle.

That said, I didnt see the first half, but I like your observations. He's definitely a big kid. I like the potential.

You would hope to see that anytime a player gets in who never plays. So it's not uncommon to see the hustle.

That said, I didnt see the first half, but I like your observations. He's definitely a big kid. I like the potential.

I think part of it was hustle and part of it was he’s just faster and bigger. He’s got typical Syracuse forward measurables and athleticism. Oshea’s athleticism has been greatly overstated IMO, Marek hustles but is an average athlete, and Hughes is a little slow and a little small for a typical SU forward.

Braswell looks like a legit 6’9, and very fast and agile.

Going through the motions and half assing it is an indictment of the coaching.

It’s also credit to coaching when these same mediocre teams go on deep tournament runs. Something to be said for keeping a team going when times are tough. Something younger coaches will need to learn.

Cuse

It’s also credit to coaching when these same mediocre teams go on deep tournament runs. Something to be said for keeping a team going when times are tough. Something younger coaches will need to learn.

Cuse

Is it though?

I'm not hammering on the coaching, I'm more just flustered by how we recruit. That being said, I feel like when we had early tourney flameouts the argument/narrative was always..."it's about match-ups, an early exit doesn't invalidate a year's worth of great coaching, sometimes things happen." Now, the same people that went to that well to drink, and argued that point incessantly, are saying - "look at those tourney runs! It validates the coaching!"

Whereas a lot of people are saying...I just want results. Which, although frustrating to hear as a lot of people expect WAY, WAY, WAY too much, is at least a somewhat consistent argument.

It's funny that the threat of sanctions and then the sanctions killed SU's recruiting to the point of general mediocrity. Whereas Louisville is under sanctions, the threat of more significant sanctions, had a title taken away & the AD & coach fired and they're in the top-20 and have the No. 2 (so far) recruiting class coming in. SU's class, depending on where you look, is either just in or out of the top-25.

It's funny that the threat of sanctions and then the sanctions killed SU's recruiting to the point of general mediocrity. Whereas Louisville is under sanctions, the threat of more significant sanctions, had a title taken away & the AD & coach fired and they're in the top-20 and have the No. 2 (so far) recruiting class coming in. SU's class, depending on where you look, is either just in or out of the top-25.
Perhaps what ever they did that caused their sanctions and got people fired is still paying dividends? What were the sanctions anyways. Reduced scholl's? Recruiting trips? Recruiting coaches? I ask as I don't know.

Good god, you only got to see the 2nd half? Yikes.

Can anyone let me know what Hughes contributes besides jacking up 3s, which ends up working out in our benefit once every 3 or 4 games. Does the threat of him shooting help to spread the floor and theoretically would allow more room for others to drive? I know that's what his job in the NBA would be, but if he's not making shots then he is literally a negative.

So in essence, 2 scholl's gone 1 year and 4 more over a 4 year period for a total of 6. SU had what, 3 a year for 4 years. So double. SU lost a recruiter going out the entire time, they lost 6 days. I don't know what 30 recruiting opportunities means. So if I read it right less than half what SU got. That could go towards their quicker turnaround. Plus what coaches they lost didn't take potential recruits with him.

How many NC state players would start on SU?

the 5 ?(definitely) ...maybe dorn over hughes?

people would probably say markell johnson over howard - but frank just dropped 21 on him and he only had 5. i personally think if you blended both rosters 3 or 4 of the starters would come from the Syracuse roster...

watching the duke Nc state game just now - i gaurantee Syracuse wouldve just beaten NC state if they had just played man to man defense the entire game - braxton beverly - who HAD HIS FRICKIN CAREER HIGH vs the zone - couldnt do anything while being face guarded by a taller player!!!!

Why do so many players get their career highs vs the SU zone??????????????????

you have one of the tallest teams in the country play man to man!!!

no one on NC STATE can beat their man and create on their own vs man to man...

chukwu cannot move laterally? fine just stick him in man to man d...he would fare way better in man.

PLAY MAN TO MAN...

the zone is great and it is fine as the the base defense - but it shouldnt be sacred.

SYracuse is losing to teams that dont have better players.

they are too rigid and dont play game situations well - coaching needs to be better.

the players don't fit the way JB wants to play - he needs to tweak some things and fit the plans to the roster he has....

they have enough talent to beat anyone.

it's their approach that is holding them back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom