Players skipping bowls | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Players skipping bowls

Eh, might seem weird but I’m on his side there. Steelers blew that one. He’d more than proven enough to give him the contract he wanted or let him go to someone else who would.

I mean, point is, he made a me decision and quit on his team. whether he is right or wrong, from a risk perspective, as a team owner, i want guys less likely to do that than more. Guys who quit on their teams here, justified or not, are not a good precedent

UCF has to win tomorrow without its QB or they are out of the NY6. Going to be a tough one against Memphis . They would get boatraced against ND without Milton.

Sounds similar to what everyone said about their chances against Auburn in the Peach bowl last year.

I mean, point is, he made a me decision and quit on his team. whether he is right or wrong, from a risk perspective, as a team owner, i want guys less likely to do that than more. Guys who quit on their teams here, justified or not, are not a good precedent
Yeah, I'm totally with the billionaire owners on this one. As a matter of fact I'm with the billionaires period. They need more advantage over everything. The fact that the government hasn't intervened here and broken up the players union is a disgrace. Can't think of anything more unAmerican.

Didn’t the Steelers franchise tag him twice in a row?

Teams shouldn’t be able to keep “punting” on guys like that while squeezing two years of value out of them at a discount, while running up the miles on him.

Pay the guy what he’s worth, or let someone else do it. They could’ve traded him, let him go, paid him...they blew it IMO.

Yeah, I'm totally with the billionaire owners on this one. As a matter of fact I'm with the billionaires period. They need more advantage over everything. The fact that the government hasn't intervened here and broken up the players union is a disgrace. Can't think of anything more unAmerican.

Im not with anyone. Im merely saying that if I was an owner I'd maybe choose someone a few picks later of they are even a bit less likely to show up for work. You are missing my point here. I'm not saying the owners are right, at all.

Really just comes down to the games outside of the CFP to be generally meaningless. I think a move to a 16 team playoff would get rid of this issue nearly entirely. It’s stupid that they haven’t done this.

Whoa, don't need 16. 8 would make sense. 5 conference winners, 1 G5 team, and 2 at large entries. First 4 games are played on campus and then the remaining 4 slide into the current system involving the bowls. Have to preserve the importance of the CFB regular season and the fact every game from labor day weekend through thanksgiving has HUGE meaning. CAN'T turn CFB into the NBA, NHL, or college hoops where the regular season is a huge waste of time where losses aren't a biv deal and the regular season is a chance to figure it out and just get in ghe tournament. Half the league makes the playoffs in the NBA and NHL. Seeding matters a bit in the NBA but means absolutely nothing in hockey. Just get into the playoffs which is a joke and get a hot line and goalie and as an 8 seed you can roll to a championship rendering 7 months of hockey a waste of time.

For over 100 years, CFB had a zero team playoff.

Then for 20 years, there was a 2 team playoff.

Now we have a 4 team playoff.

And you want 16? After the next ice age.

03-rotfl.gif

Totally agree wirh you. This meathead TE from Iowa is hot stuff. Unless he is the next Tony Gonzalez and i havent seen any sig offense at Iowa to believe so; this kid is taking himself a bit too seriously. Add in the fact that TEs will be a dying breed in the new NFL in the next 5-7 years.

Your college years are the best years of your life and 99% of the players in D1 FB would cut off a finger to get 1 more fb game, 1 more week of practice, 1 more walk into the locker room, 1 more chance to wear your school colors, 1 more run out of the tunnel, and 1 more battle with the guys you played with and represented the school with.

What a joke...

Eh, might seem weird but I’m on his side there. Steelers blew that one. He’d more than proven enough to give him the contract he wanted or let him go to someone else who would.
It is weird... so you're for a guy who's made millions that quits on his team to hold out for more money. But a guy who's proven himself in college for 4 years and is on the doorstep of being a high draft pick, setting his family up for life, and realizing a dream of playing NFL should rick catastrophic injury by playing in a meaningless exhibition a month after the season ended?

If I was in that situation I'd gladly accept the label "quitter." As a fan it sucks, but it makes sense when you take their perspective

Whoa, don't need 16. 8 would make sense. 5 conference winners, 1 G5 team, and 2 at large entries. First 4 games are played on campus and then the remaining 4 slide into the current system involving the bowls. Have to preserve the importance of the CFB regular season and the fact every game from labor day weekend through thanksgiving has HUGE meaning. CAN'T turn CFB into the NBA, NHL, or college hoops where the regular season is a huge waste of time where losses aren't a biv deal and the regular season is a chance to figure it out and just get in ghe tournament. Half the league makes the playoffs in the NBA and NHL. Seeding matters a bit in the NBA but means absolutely nothing in hockey. Just get into the playoffs which is a joke and get a hot line and goalie and as an 8 seed you can roll to a championship rendering 7 months of hockey a waste of time.
I’ll agree to disagree on this, especially with the NHL. The best part of sports is the Cinderella story. It’s literally why playoffs are even relevant in general. Most people want to see the underdog make it to the finals. 16 teams only adds four games at the most. It also allows for more than just the Bama’s and OSU’s of the world have a chance. Having eight gives you six factories, maybe a UCF, and maybe a Washington St having a great season once every ten years. 16 evens the playing field and increases the competition.

If bowls are rewards the players have every right to skip them.
Jaylen Smith lost millions playing a meaningless game.
I wouldn’t be upset one iota if any Syracuse player sat out the bowl game. It’s their game.

It is weird... so you're for a guy who's made millions that quits on his team to hold out for more money. But a guy who's proven himself in college for 4 years and is on the doorstep of being a high draft pick, setting his family up for life, and realizing a dream of playing NFL should rick catastrophic injury by playing in a meaningless exhibition a month after the season ended?

If I was in that situation I'd gladly accept the label "quitter." As a fan it sucks, but it makes sense when you take their perspective

If I was a front office guy - LeVean Bell is a proven superstar in this game. I’d be side-eyeing the Steelers for botching it.

Unproven college kids...I’m not sure that helps their stock. They haven’t proven anything at the NFL level.

Also, Bell never showed up in the first place this year. He said he wasn’t coming and he didn’t.

Bouncing on a team mid season is different.

I wouldn’t be upset one iota if any Syracuse player sat out the bowl game. It’s their game.

Nor would I. But if I was an NFL team owner and I had two guys who were close on other aspects, I'd go for the guy who stuck with his team.

Totally agree wirh you. This meathead TE from Iowa is hot stuff. Unless he is the next Tony Gonzalez and i havent seen any sig offense at Iowa to believe so; this kid is taking himself a bit too seriously. Add in the fact that TEs will be a dying breed in the new NFL in the next 5-7 years.

Your college years are the best years of your life and 99% of the players in D1 FB would cut off a finger to get 1 more fb game, 1 more week of practice, 1 more walk into the locker room, 1 more chance to wear your school colors, 1 more run out of the tunnel, and 1 more battle with the guys you played with and represented the school with.

What a joke...

Fant is really good. He's a sure first rounder and may be the next Tony G

Team owners routinely leave a city of long devoted fans as soon as they can't extort any more corporate welfare out of said city - they shouldn't say anything about a kid not playing in a football game.

Team owners routinely leave a city of long devoted fans as soon as they can't extort any more corporate welfare out of said city - they shouldn't say anything about a kid not playing in a football game.
But owners are greedy and immoral. I am speaking about what I would expect not what I would like.

If I was a front office guy - LeVean Bell is a proven superstar in this game. I’d be side-eyeing the Steelers for botching it.

Unproven college kids...I’m not sure that helps their stock. They haven’t proven anything at the NFL level.

Also, Bell never showed up in the first place this year. He said he wasn’t coming and he didn’t.

Bouncing on a team mid season is different.
I guess we just disagree that it's during the season. I look at it as the post season that's kinda cool but ultimately meaningless

He's more than making up for it now. He's going to get paid soon.

Eh, kid's already had a concussion, coaches seemed to publicly take a shot at a him (to a certain extent), and he was quite gracious in leaving. It sounds like it went as well as it could - but I'm sure after ANY injury, you want to minimize any and every risk possible if you're a projected first round pick. Seems he's likely already unhappy with some comments about him, about how he's been utilized - why assume the risk?

I would do the same as him - but I can see being upset as a fan, especially if none of those issues were present. It's tough.

If you're a projected 8th round pick, maybe you don't care so much though...

So if I'm in my last days of college and have a job lined up that is going to pay me millions per year, potentially more. But I have a teacher who wants me to do one last project that doesn't count towards my final grade and this project could put my landing the job at risk.

Geez, I wonder what I'm going to do. I feel so morally obligated to do that project so I don't let me teacher and classmates down.....

So if I'm in my last days of college and have a job lined up that is going to pay me millions per year, potentially more. But I have a teacher who wants me to do one last project that doesn't count towards my final grade and this project could put my landing the job at risk.

Geez, I wonder what I'm going to do. I feel so morally obligated to do that project so I don't let me teacher and classmates down...

I think that's the plot to the movie 'Flatliners.'

Cant these kids just get insurance? Ditching the bowl game seems odd. People say they are meaningless. Under that theory, only like 4 teams play meaningful games all year, and that is the teams who actually have a reasonable shot at the playoff. Players should be sitting out even earlier (i guess bosa did).

With that being said, I hold no ill will towards the players.

At what point do games become meaningless though? If a bowl game is meaningless, aren’t all the regular season games meaningless too once your squad is out of the playoff picture?

I think where Ed Oliver gets drafted helps answer that question.

In general though, it’s fairly standard for coaches to take new jobs and for teams to have interm coaches for bowl games. That, to me, is an indicator of the difference between bowl games and regular season games. Bowls are stupid and mostly meaningless (beyond the significance of getting there) - and it’s clear even the schools and coaches feel that way too.

Why shouldn’t the players?

Not a fan of it but see i certainly see it from a players perspective, it’s only going to get worse

Im not with anyone. Im merely saying that if I was an owner I'd maybe choose someone a few picks later of they are even a bit less likely to show up for work. You are missing my point here. I'm not saying the owners are right, at all.
I know. Kidding. Totally put words in your mouth. For kicks.