Players skipping bowls | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Players skipping bowls

I agree but ina way I don’t. That school just paid for free classes for u and trained u to be where u are now. I’m on the fence here because if it wasn’t for that school , u probably wouldn’t be at that point. Football is a team game. I don’t know. I would play. Take out an insurance policy. Something. I would feel like I quit on my teammates and that wasn’t how I played so. Tough decision.
That kid who makes the NFL chose the school over peer schools.. aka, I could have had this same Wall Street training at Harvard, Wharton, Chicago etc but I chose NYU. These standout students often provide more value to the institution that they chose (most of whom begged me to come play/study with/for them). These students would be successful no matter the college.

Also, personally I would be pissed off if I knew a likely first round pick teammate of mine risked injury to play in a non playoff game. I would be livid. Insurance will not cover the costs.

I love my teammates and that means wanting what’s best for them. Sometimes that means a sacrifice by the team for the individual after that individual no doubt sacrificed for years for that team.

I guess it's hard for me to understand because nobody wants to give me a million dollars to do anything but I personally think it's crap. Student should have to pay for the rest of the academic year as soon as they declare eligible. Scholarships pay for the whole year, so you should have to play for the whole year. Figure the rest out with ins or whatever but to me these guys are all tabbies who are quitting on their team, school, and fans. Jalen Smith, bfd about Smith, shite happens. How many 1st rounders typically get hurt in their bowl games? Is it less than 1%? Tabby, Siamese, Himalaya, Maine Coon, etc...all of them.

And to the person who compared it to a class assignment. Football is not a class assignment. It's such a horrible analogy. They are supposed to play this game because they love it. People shouldn't give up a chance to do something you love at such a high level on such a national stage for a few bucks. Like I said, I get the money argument, figure it out with insurance or whatever. It's not like 1/2 of the first round picks get wrecked every year. It's a fluke when it happens, have a system in place for those guys.

If you are an NFL level talent, you can only play for free for so long...
Yeah you play for free until you get hired. He's not getting hired any sooner by sitting out.

Yeah you play for free until you get hired. He's not getting hired any sooner by sitting out.
hes not risking getting hurt in a meaningless bowl game that doesn't help him at all, he already has all his film, having an amazing game doesn't help his draft stock at all. The football program makes over 20 million quit the that the players are so lucky to have a scholarship, lmao

hes not risking getting hurt in a meaningless bowl game that doesn't help him at all, he already has all his film, having an amazing game doesn't help his draft stock at all. The football program makes over 20 million quit the that the players are so lucky to have a scholarship, lmao
I didn't say they were lucky. I said they are breaching their contract with the school, and they are. Meaningless to the players maybe, but bowls pay money to the schools, it's not meaningless to the institution, to the coach's future, etc. Are you telling me that if a school like Ohio State keeps losing their bowl game every single year it won't affect the coach? If they don't finish the season, pull the scholly. Apparently with all the money they are about to make, they ought to be able to pick up the tab anyway.

I didn't say they were lucky. I said they are breaching their contract with the school, and they are. Meaningless to the players maybe, but bowls pay money to the schools, it's not meaningless to the institution, to the coach's future, etc. Are you telling me that if a school like Ohio State keeps losing their bowl game every single year it won't affect the coach? If they don't finish the season, pull the scholly. Apparently with all the money they are about to make, they ought to be able to pick up the tab anyway.
Jaylen Smith lost 20 million dollars going from top 5 draft pick to 34rd overall draft pick.
Just because he played a meaningless exhibition game for Notre Dame.
These bowls are supposedly rewards for the players outside of the playoffs.
If they don’t want to risk injury that is their right.
Not every player is going to sit out the bowls just players projected to be first round draft picks.
Why risk injury.
Finishing the regular season is all they owe their teams. Postseason bowls are for the players.

I don't know if this is true, but I assume once a player declares for the draft he is hiring an agent and therefore would not be eligible for a scholarship for the Spring semester anyways. Or are you saying the player should pay back the school for past scholarships?

When the universities treat it like big business, the coaches treat it like big business, the media companies treat it like big business and fans treat it like big business then you can't be surprised when eventually the players treat college sports like big business. And that's exactly what is happening.

That's my view on both sitting out bowl games and transferring and I don't have a problem with these guys making those decisions at all.

I’m not a fan. NBA players just sit out games for “rest” when they’re not even hurt.

Where does this end? Will superstar players who play some great games early in the season start packing it in in October if they feel the scouts have seen all they need to see?

I don’t know...sitting out games for fear of injury and being an athlete don’t really go together. I’m looking at all these guys sideways if I’m in a front office.
Would you go to work if you won the lottery?

Would you go to work if you won the lottery?

The fallacies tossed around in this thread are astounding.

The question isn't whether some random guy at a job would quit working if he won the lottery (though if he did without putting in appropriate notice and extending a number of other professional courtesies he'd be every bit the jackass Ed Oliver appears to be).

There are obvious difference between an at-will employee at a firm and a scholarship athlete who's made a commitment to a team. They're apparent to anyone who wants to have an honest conversation on the matter (rather than using this topic as ammunition in their personal bias against the NCAA and the sham of amateur athletics).

Okay, if a guy gets hurt in the bowl game and wrecks his chance at millions in the nfl, yes, I'll write him a check. Now that's out of the way, go play the damn game. #FinishWhatYouStarted.

Okay, if a guy gets hurt in the bowl game and wrecks his chance at millions in the nfl, yes, I'll write him a check. Now that's out of the way, go play the damn game. #FinishWhatYouStarted.

Set up an escrow account.

Student should have to pay for the rest of the academic year as soon as they declare eligible. Scholarships pay for the whole year, so you should have to play for the whole year.
1) That's some spiteful, spiteful stuff.
2) Guys who declare after the season aren't going to class in the Spring Semester. They're working out. So who cares if their scholly gets pulled?

Jalen Smith, bfd about Smith, shite happens. How many 1st rounders typically get hurt in their bowl games? Is it less than 1%? It's a fluke when it happens, have a system in place for those guys.
Players are commodities. They're treated as such by their coaches, recruiting sites, the media, fans, the schools, scouts, etc. Anything they can do to protect their value is within their interest. You can control what you can control, and playing in a meaningless game is something that can be controlled. Even if it's a "fluke" thing - a fluke doesn't happen to you if you don't let it.

Also, there isn't a system in place to help guys who hurt their draft stocks. And there never will be. Any kind of financial compensation for injuries incurred would acknowledge that players are employees. That's why this trend will rightfully continue.

1) That's some spiteful, spiteful stuff.
2) Guys who declare after the season aren't going to class in the Spring Semester. They're working out. So who cares if their scholly gets pulled?

Players are commodities. They're treated as such by their coaches, recruiting sites, the media, fans, the schools, scouts, etc. Anything they can do to protect their value is within their interest. You can control what you can control, and playing in a meaningless game is something that can be controlled. Even if it's a "fluke" thing - a fluke doesn't happen to you if you don't let it.

Also, there isn't a system in place to help guys who hurt their draft stocks. And there never will be. Any kind of financial compensation for injuries incurred would acknowledge that players are employees. That's why this trend will rightfully continue.
Spiteful? If I get paid to work to complete a project and I finish 95% of the project but don't finish it should I get paid the full amount? And you even pointed out that it doesn't matter because what I said is actually how it works since they aren't going to class anyway. I just didn't think that the college/university should be picking up the tab for spring if they've quit the team, and apparently they don't. I was NOT saying they should have to pay back the whole academic package from the beginning.

Also I don't feel that the player getting an insurance payout for an injury qualifies him as an employee. If it was workman's comp maybe but that's not what we're talking about.