Players skipping bowls | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Players skipping bowls

Why are we arguing this? Ok fine, I'm wrong, the owners loved this and will definitely draft players that they think are more likely to do it
Bell is not sitting out: he is not under contract. If Pittsburgh really wanted him, they would have offered more $$

Bell is not sitting out: he is not under contract. If Pittsburgh really wanted him, they would have offered more $$

Agree. Owners will definitely want to draft players that they feel are more likely to let a year go by without signing.

All I an saying is if you have two equal players in the draft, one who stayed with the team and one who didn't, I think it could be a small factor. That's it.

This is nonsense. The me first generation at it's best. To think that a player would skip the bowl and do that to his team is BS. A Syracuse player does this and he more dead to me than Bazley. Boy, what if Tyus takes the NCAA tourney off. Think about that one if you think it's alright.

This is nonsense. The me first generation at it's best. To think that a player would skip the bowl and do that to his team is BS. A Syracuse player does this and he more dead to me than Bazley. Boy, what if Tyus takes the NCAA tourney off. Think about that one if you think it's alright.

I see your point, but it has a much larger impact in basketball than football, since it's 5 on 5, and that one dude represents 20% vs. say 4.5% in football.

I'm almost certain Fournette sat out as well.

As selfish fans, we want to see our top guys play right up until they've exhausted their eligibility.

As these kids though, there is so much money on the line if you're a top tier guy. One injury can legitimately cost you millions of dollars. That's what football has become with the amount of revenue flowing into the NFL.

It's easy for us to gripe, but honestly, I fault no kid for doing he thinks is in his best interests. There are hopefully many sound voices coaching them along the way during this process.

I’m on the players side here. If you have a chance to be drafted and earn life changing money, it’s almost irresponsible not to.

Was wondering about the All star bowls like the East-West game , Senior Bowl etc - do major players skip it? Has a player skipped his college team's bowl game but played in an All Star bowl or is it more likely they would play in the bowl game and skip the All Star game?

It should also say something when you don't see a single kid skipping the CFP.

The bowl is one game, and cannot lead to winning a championship. Also, far less chance of injury.

Was wondering about the All star bowls like the East-West game , Senior Bowl etc - do major players skip it? Has a player skipped his college team's bowl game but played in an All Star bowl or is it more likely they would play in the bowl game and skip the All Star game?
They will play in the All Star game because that is hands on coaching and evaluation.

Agree. Owners will definitely want to draft players that they feel are more likely to let a year go by without signing.

All I an saying is if you have two equal players in the draft, one who stayed with the team and one who didn't, I think it could be a small factor. That's it.
You draft the best players, and when the time comes, you pay them.
Football will spit you out the minute something negative happens to you, so you need to maximize everything you can.
This is a job.
The Rah Rah stuff is for high school and Pop Warner

You draft the best players, and when the time comes, you pay them.
Football will spit you out the minute something negative happens to you, so you need to maximize everything you can.
This is a job.
The Rah Rah stuff is for high school and Pop Warner

Agreed too many people watching remember the Titans with Scott Schafer on this board. It’s a business and once you get to a certain level it has to be treated as such.

I’m on the players side here. If you have a chance to be drafted and earn life changing money, it’s almost irresponsible not to.
Agreed too many people watching remember the Titans with Scott Schafer on this board. It’s a business and once you get to a certain level it has to be treated as such.
Jake Butts and Naylen Smith lost millions. Maybe the college's should reimburse them for money they lost playing in a meaningless game.
It's curious that people generally accept the NFL stars sitting out pre-season games, because they are meaningless.

So your boss asks you tomorrow If you will take a 40% pay cut so you can keep your team at work together,otherwise some cuts will need to be made.

I’m going to bet your going to think about your paycheck first. “Me too” generation, please. That’s lazy historical analysis. All previous generations love to deride the currents ones.

100% with the players on this one. They have very little control over things in their career, their participation in an exhibition game is one of them.

Here is what the facts say. Guys who sit out bowl games get drafted in about the same spot they were projected to go prior to the bowl. Players who get hurt in bowls get drafted much lower than their projections.

So your boss asks you tomorrow If you will take a 40% pay cut so you can keep your team at work together,otherwise some cuts will need to be made.

I’m going to bet your going to think about your paycheck first. “Me too” generation, please. That’s lazy historical analysis. All previous generations love to deride the currents ones.

I used to get pissed about it, but no longer. This is not about selfishness, but smart decisions. Are you going to make up the difference in his paycheck if he blows a knee out or injures his neck? These players have given plenty of themselves for your viewing pleasure.
Now if it’s a kid that could use this game to springboard himself forward into making more money, go for it.

I dont think theres quite the risk of getting injured in basketball as there is in football. Also, these bowl games are meaningless. NCAAA touranment games carry more weight.

Hi yes I am perfectly okay with college athletes doing whatever sets them up best for their futures, especially when playing a game that takes years off their lives

I see your point, but it has a much larger impact in basketball than football, since it's 5 on 5, and that one dude represents 20% vs. say 4.5% in football.

Really?
you think Dungey only accounts for 4.5% of the team?

anyone who hammers a kid for sitting out a bowl, I will make you a deal: we will force all the kids to play and if any get a major injury, you write them a check to cover their NFL losses. you know, the league that doesn't guarantee contracts and spits players out the minute they are no longer of use.

Is this still a debate? It is going to happen more and more. Wearing the jersey of good old State U doesn't motivate these players. It is a business for everyone involved.