Please clear up the issues | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Please clear up the issues

Syracuse added this functionality recently as well.

The three icons below each player are links to their Twitter, Instagram and Inflctr accounts. Players not set up on some of these social media platforms will have those icons missing.

Just following a player on Twitter or Instagram helps make a player more marketable and 'worth more' in terms of social media marketability. If you have no money but want to help players, this is a good place to start.

You can propose NIL opportunities to a given Syracuse athlete through the Inflctr links.

The same links have been added to the SU football player roster, except they also have added links to player Tiktoc accounts there.
That’s awesome Tom! Another example of your Cuse Council bringing value every day!

Keep in mind that the average NIL deal is not six figures. Register on INFLCR, reach out and offer a few bucks for Benny Williams to send a birthday video to your best friend and enjoy!
After you make your pledge to the SyraCRUZ Tailgate of course!

That’s awesome Tom! Another example of your Cuse Council bringing value every day!

Keep in mind that the average NIL deal is not six figures. Register on INFLCR, reach out and offer a few bucks for Benny Williams to send a birthday video to your best friend and enjoy!
After you make your pledge to the SyraCRUZ Tailgate of course!
Agree.

I would ask all Syracuse fans to take a little time, and go ahead and follow your favorite Orangemen and Orangewomen on social media.

It doesn't cost anything but the number of followers an athlete has is a big deal they met with companies and discuss possible deals. This is one of the first things possible sponsors look at when deciding who to approach with NIL deals.

On one hand, posters are upset at the team’s performance the last two seasons, even berating players; juxtapose that with complaints that SU will not pay BIG NIL $$ to these same players to keep them.

One one hand SU cannot directly pay players; juxtapose that with SU refuses to pay NIL deals. (What is the real rule on this?)

One one hand Jesse cannot get an NIL deal because he is not a citizen and we are not playing out of the country; juxtapose that with SU refuses to pay Jesse.

I am not trying to be facetious but if SU is actually playing by the rules and the big donors are, too, then what is the beef? Yes, we all know others are flaunting the rules but that does not make it right to do so.

Besides, if the players are not quite the stars we want, may we be better served being patient an putting the real money on bigger stars who want to play in Orange a bit longer than just one season?

I get the arguments but we are not going to have Big State U money donors lined up waiting to dump money on high school grads who are great in sports so we have to be a little more selective. It is a problem but it has always been a problem.
Yes, posters were upset at the team's performance. That doesn't mean we didn't also value some of the players we're in danger of losing. We can think the team 'sucks' and still know that our two best players would be necessary to contribute to the next team which we hope would be better. "Berating players?" This is a sports forum. That's what happens in all of sports 'fandom.' It goes both ways. We react to what happens. SU doesn't pay money to players. NIL deals are made by third parties.

The "beef" is that we're Syracuse, and we're getting poached by a nothing program like West Virginia. It's not like Oregon and Phil Knight/Nike money is stealing from us. It's not like it's Texas oil money. It's West Virginia. Who's going to pay Jesse? The state's largest Wrangler Jeans distributor? Why doesn't Syracuse (the city/the region) have coffers bigger than those in West Virginia? That's my beef. If we can't compete with a program like West Virginia, just to retain our best player—someone we already have a relationship and ties with—it's pretty damn bleak.

Not sure i get the logic—pay bigger stars who want to play longer than one season? Why would bigger stars not be interested in/qualified to move on to the NBA?

We should be more selective? We have a history over the last ten years that isn't conducive to being a selector program. We have an unproven new head coach. We're going to have to show success first. IF that even matters. West Virginia is trying to drink our milkshake, and they don't have any success to speak of. It's Thunderdome, and we're equipped with a rusty spoon as our only weapon.

Yes, posters were upset at the team's performance. That doesn't mean we didn't also value some of the players we're in danger of losing. We can think the team 'sucks' and still know that our two best players would be necessary to contribute to the next team which we hope would be better. "Berating players?" This is a sports forum. That's what happens in all of sports 'fandom.' It goes both ways. We react to what happens. SU doesn't pay money to players. NIL deals are made by third parties.

The "beef" is that we're Syracuse, and we're getting poached by a nothing program like West Virginia. It's not like Oregon and Phil Knight/Nike money is stealing from us. It's not like it's Texas oil money. It's West Virginia. Who's going to pay Jesse? The state's largest Wrangler Jeans distributor? Why doesn't Syracuse (the city/the region) have coffers bigger than those in West Virginia? That's my beef. If we can't compete with a program like West Virginia, just to retain our best player—someone we already have a relationship and ties with—it's pretty damn bleak.

Not sure i get the logic—pay bigger stars who want to play longer than one season? Why would bigger stars not be interested in/qualified to move on to the NBA?

We should be more selective? We have a history over the last ten years that isn't conducive to being a selector program. We have an unproven new head coach. We're going to have to show success first. IF that even matters. West Virginia is trying to drink our milkshake, and they don't have any success to speak of. It's Thunderdome, and we're equipped with a rusty spoon as our only weapon.

The collectives await your generous donation.

We have donors.

We are competitive with NIL.

We aren't going to overpay for someone that doesn't deserve it and would hinder our ability to get a better team as a whole.

We aren't going to suffer fools, whether they be parents/agents/clout-chasing wannabes that have money.

We are in the mix for legit players for 2024, we are in the mix to have a solid team next year.

Keep in mind we are digging out of the ridiculousness that was the end of JB's tenure where we basically allowed him to create a roster that was awful that had the unfortunate timing of having a confluence of covid, NIL and portal.

The fact that Red, GMac, Griff are in it with Freeman, Bethea etc and are at least talking to Dickinson, etc is actually incredible.
Thank you for the update.

You forgot about the coal money and Mountain Dew money in West Virginia.

How big of region does SU include? I've seen nothing SU specific in the Rochester area. What about Buffalo, Albany? Like does West Virginia include the whole state just because they have to?

How big of region does SU include? I've seen nothing SU specific in the Rochester area. What about Buffalo, Albany? Like does West Virginia include the whole state just because they have to?
Not sure what you mean. I didn't think there was anything in NIL rules about where money has to come from geographically. I would think you could be a business in Los Angeles and use a player on a Delaware team to promote your business, and that's fine. My comments about SU's "region" vs West Virginia was just to make an illustration. In theory, if we had the appeal and it made sense for a New York City business to want to work with us, i don't think there'd be a problem. We're not limited to Syracuse/upstate NY borders and whatnot.

But, ask Bees. I'm not an expert, and i have no appetite for following closely on this topic.

Not sure what you mean. I didn't think there was anything in NIL rules about where money has to come from geographically. I would think you could be a business in Los Angeles and use a player on a Delaware team to promote your business, and that's fine. My comments about SU's "region" vs West Virginia was just to make an illustration. In theory, if we had the appeal and it made sense for a New York City business to want to work with us, i don't think there'd be a problem. We're not limited to Syracuse/upstate NY borders and whatnot.

But, ask Bees. I'm not an expert, and i have no appetite for following closely on this topic.
I didn't mean to imply that there is a restriction or limit on the region that can be used for NIL. Just was wondering why there doesn't seem to be any SU activity in Rochester, (a much larger population) or other western NY areas. Seems there should be opportunities there and just maybe WV is getting more money by taking advantage of a larger state wide area to create finical interest. I don't know. Maybe the SU collective has the funds just more conservative on how they use it.

I'm not adverse to the idea of contributing to SU's ability to recruit athletic talent. I'm just not comfortable with having zero input on how NIL monies are distributed.
Then give a LOT!

For me; it's not about where my specific check would go, it's about how the collective distributes the entire fund.

And if you’re donating $ that equates to 2% of the whole fund. How much “say” are you expecting to have?

Not saying I will send money to collective, but still have issues with where and how my money will be spent. Can people who donated get a refund if their money goes to the N.Texas transfer, instead of Jesse? I guess if I donate $5 to a collective, I then have the right to complain about NIL on this board, otherwise not. I pay taxes because I have to, knowing that a significant portion goes to waste. But, collective donations aren't mandatory, and at the present, I'm still not ready to take the plunge.
Donate or don't. Just don't make excuses that you aren't going to donate because it isn't run EXACTLY how you want it to be run.
I don't think there is anything stopping you from contacting Jesse with an NIL offer from just you.

Some of the complaining about NIL is ridiculous. The collectives are working with the coaches to get the best players possible and keep our better players. We are taking care of Mintz if he doesn’t go pro.

The value for Jesse wasn’t there.

Not donating because Jesse didn’t stay is ridiculous and counterproductive.

There’s a difference between nil and NIL. Joe did very well with the nil. But it’s work too and working with the branding people. Just off the top of my head, he sold his merch, made several guest appearances, ran at least 2 basketball camps for kids, partnered with Dunkin doughnuts and I’m sure a few others I’m forgetting. Rumor, and it’s only rumor, is that he was able to make about $100k. Similar to Buddy the previous year. No idea what Joe got in NIL.
When this was all first approved, the lowercase nil is what I thought the whole name, image, likeness was going to be - letting the players earn money through merch, appearances, commercials, etc., letting the players make some money off of their own talent and effort.
This NIL where players are just being offered sums of money to play at a certain school, to me, doesn't seem to conform to the original intent.
This NIL, plus the free-for-all transfer portal system has really soured me on college athletics and I just don't have the enthusiasm for it like I used to.

Last edited:
When this was all first approved, the lowercase nil is what I thought the whole name, image, likeness was going to be - letting the players earn money through merch, appearances, commercials, etc., letting the players make some money off of their own talent and effort.
This NIL where players are just being offered sums of money to play at a certain school me doesn't seem to conform to the original intent.
This NIL, plus the free-for-all transfer portal system has really soured me on college athletics and I just don't have the enthusiasm for it like I used to.

Exactly. I couldn’t agree more.

This NIL where players are just being offered sums of money to play at a certain school, to me, doesn't seem to conform to the original intent.

Of course, but absolutely everyone knew this is where it would get to. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is. It could settle out to a degree and be sustainable, it could totally implode because at some point the money will run out, it could destroy the sport and that cause the money to dry up, or it could eventually be subject to reasonable oversight or regulation that allows for a middle ground.

I read this week that Penn State is hoping Micron gets involved with their NIL.

I didn't mean to imply that there is a restriction or limit on the region that can be used for NIL. Just was wondering why there doesn't seem to be any SU activity in Rochester, (a much larger population) or other western NY areas. Seems there should be opportunities there and just maybe WV is getting more money by taking advantage of a larger state wide area to create finical interest. I don't know. Maybe the SU collective has the funds just more conservative on how they use it.
There was a report that SU collected quite a bit of money from Rochester for the Manley upgrade. It’s tough finding donors for facility upgrades and NIL.

There was a report that SU collected quite a bit of money from Rochester for the Manley upgrade. It’s tough finding donors for facility upgrades and NIL.
Didn't know that, but isn't at least some of NIL money generated differently, i.e, arranging advertising sponsorship, promotional visits and the like. It seems to me that SU completely ignores Rochester a bare 1 hr away. I can't remember when I have ever seen advertising for football or basketball games.

You're absolutely on target. The issue is that the NCAA hasn't stepped in to address the issues, but it also hasn't stepped away from them either. Until the NCAA steps up or steps out, it will continue to be a free for all fiasco.

My personal option is they need to step out and let the "business" of big time football and basketball at the college level take over. It will continue to be a mess, but everybody will be swimming in the same cess pool and know the rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom