Please clear up the issues | Syracusefan.com

Please clear up the issues

HtownOrange

Living Legend
On one hand, posters are upset at the team’s performance the last two seasons, even berating players; juxtapose that with complaints that SU will not pay BIG NIL $$ to these same players to keep them.

One one hand SU cannot directly pay players; juxtapose that with SU refuses to pay NIL deals. (What is the real rule on this?)

One one hand Jesse cannot get an NIL deal because he is not a citizen and we are not playing out of the country; juxtapose that with SU refuses to pay Jesse.

I am not trying to be facetious but if SU is actually playing by the rules and the big donors are, too, then what is the beef? Yes, we all know others are flaunting the rules but that does not make it right to do so.

Besides, if the players are not quite the stars we want, may we be better served being patient an putting the real money on bigger stars who want to play in Orange a bit longer than just one season?

I get the arguments but we are not going to have Big State U money donors lined up waiting to dump money on high school grads who are great in sports so we have to be a little more selective. It is a problem but it has always been a problem.

Why are people saying SU won’t use NIL???

We have collectives dispensing NIL money as we speak!

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.
I thought so, too, but reading the comments you'd think SU is on the street corner with a cardboard sign begging for any donation. You know, like Rutgers.

Because it feels like other programs, both superior and peer, are using NIL to pay NBA-esque salaries to players. While we, on the other hand, are paying them to do promotions for Syracuse Lube N Go.

I'm not adverse to the idea of contributing to SU's ability to recruit athletic talent. I'm just not comfortable with having zero input on how NIL monies are distributed.
Not trying to be snarky, and I understand and am somewhat sympathetic to your point, as such, aren’t you free to arrange your own NIL deals that benefit SU? Or work with others to do so?

Disclaimer: I lack fiscal ability to act as I have described above. I may only contribute small amounts to general funds which will provide NIL deals to players. At my end of the scale you have less say where the money goes.

Last edited:

I think it’s the fact that we got outbid for our two best football players and our best basketball player in the last few months has got people questioning our place in major college sports. It’s great we can pay decent players NIL but if you can’t keep the big fish we are toast.

On one hand, posters are upset at the team’s performance the last two seasons, even berating players; juxtapose that with complaints that SU will not pay BIG NIL $$ to these same players to keep them.

One one hand SU cannot directly pay players; juxtapose that with SU refuses to pay NIL deals. (What is the real rule on this?)

One one hand Jesse cannot get an NIL deal because he is not a citizen and we are not playing out of the country; juxtapose that with SU refuses to pay Jesse.

I am not trying to be facetious but if SU is actually playing by the rules and the big donors are, too, then what is the beef? Yes, we all know others are flaunting the rules but that does not make it right to do so.

Besides, if the players are not quite the stars we want, may we be better served being patient an putting the real money on bigger stars who want to play in Orange a bit longer than just one season?

I get the arguments but we are not going to have Big State U money donors lined up waiting to dump money on high school grads who are great in sports so we have to be a little more selective. It is a problem but it has always been a problem.
SU seems to be the sanctimonious old man driving the speed limit in the left hand lane of I-95.

Last edited:
I think it’s the fact that we got outbid for our two best football players and our best basketball player in the last few months has got people questioning our place in major college sports. It’s great we can pay decent players NIL but if you can’t keep the big fish we are toast.
Keeping the big fish takes big donors. You simply cant chase off guys like Adam and expect to compete.

I always assumed we had a budget for this stuff and we're going to spend as we see fit. Perhaps not as big as others, but that always was and always will be a Syracuse problem.

Paying $1M for two players who've been here for 4 mediocre years out of fear that next year might be worse than mediocre didn't seem like the best use of our money.

I don't think Autry was hired because he gave a good speech about the definition of insanity. I assume our style of play will change, and we'll be prioritizing players who fit that style.

I'm not adverse to the idea of contributing to SU's ability to recruit athletic talent. I'm just not comfortable with having zero input on how NIL monies are distributed.

Exactly. They need to have a collective for each team. I want every cent of my donation going to football and men’s basketball. Until I’m certain that’s where my money will be spent I’m not contributing a dime.

Keeping the big fish takes big donors. You simply cant chase off guys like Adam and expect to compete.
Oh but I was told on here that there are a bunch of billionaires in Syracuse and plenty of them contributing to the collective……..

Question about the collectives: is there a monthly/quarterly financial report that indicates the balance of it, interest accrued, who donated money, who received money, etc.? Or is it confidential?

Because it feels like other programs, both superior and peer, are using NIL to pay NBA-esque salaries to players. While we, on the other hand, are paying them to do promotions for Syracuse Lube N Go.
Tell me the specific amount one of our players is making via NIL. I’ll hang up and listen.

Question about the collectives: is there a monthly/quarterly financial report that indicates the balance of it, interest accrued, who donated money, who received money, etc.? Or is it confidential?
Probably only requires an annual filing if they are set up as a 501c3. I do have issues just blindly donating to a collective (501c3) I haven’t vetted. Seems like these collectives could be easily abused by the individuals running them if there’s no transparency (not saying that’s the case with those associated with Syracuse).

I’d personally be willing to contribute to a Syracuse men’s basketball dedicated collective where I was able to vet the group running the collective to understand their strategy and had transparency to the financials.

Exactly. They need to have a collective for each team. I want every cent of my donation going to football and men’s basketball. Until I’m certain that’s where my money will be spent I’m not contributing a dime.

You can.

Oh but I was told on here that there are a bunch of billionaires in Syracuse and plenty of them contributing to the collective……..
Well I heard the number we offered Edwards and apparently we can offer other players more tthan that number. It was well north of what Weitsman ever gave to one player.

Last edited:
I always assumed we had a budget for this stuff and we're going to spend as we see fit. Perhaps not as big as others, but that always was and always will be a Syracuse problem.

Paying $1M for two players who've been here for 4 mediocre years out of fear that next year might be worse than mediocre didn't seem like the best use of our money.

I don't think Autry was hired because he gave a good speech about the definition of insanity. I assume our style of play will change, and we'll be prioritizing players who fit that style.
We will be targeting players who will work for NIL minimums. Style of play to follow.

Well I heard the number we offered Edwards and apparently we can offer other players more tthan that number and it was well north of what Weitsman ever gave to one player.
That means little without context. I can move out of my pay scale for an exceptional employee, but if one of the big law firms really wants them, they get them.

That means little without context. I can move out of my pay scale for an exceptional employee, but if one of the big law firms really wants them, they get them.
What if we don't view said player as exceptional? If you don't think the employee is worth it you have a final price.

Last edited:
One more question (if this has already been answered in the 8 million pages of threads about this, I apologize)

Can Wildhack unilaterally decide who receives NIL money from the collective, or is it voted upon by some type of committee?

One more question (if this has already been answered in the 8 million pages of threads about this, I apologize)

Can Wildhack unilaterally decide who receives NIL money from the collective, or is it voted upon by some type of committee?
If you donate money to the 315 collective you decide what program it goes to. I've done it. I would think at some level the coaches ultimately decide. We really need to hire a GM for basketball and football.

If you donate money to the 315 collective you decide what program it goes to. I've done it. I would think at some level the coaches ultimately decide. We really need to hire a GM for basketball and football.
I was reading about a collective for another school that raises money for football and men's and women's basketball and yes, I think it's fair to say coaches have a say in how their allotment is distributed and probably naive to think otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom