Please clear up the issues | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Please clear up the issues

On one hand, posters are upset at the team’s performance the last two seasons, even berating players; juxtapose that with complaints that SU will not pay BIG NIL $$ to these same players to keep them.

One one hand SU cannot directly pay players; juxtapose that with SU refuses to pay NIL deals. (What is the real rule on this?)

One one hand Jesse cannot get an NIL deal because he is not a citizen and we are not playing out of the country; juxtapose that with SU refuses to pay Jesse.

I am not trying to be facetious but if SU is actually playing by the rules and the big donors are, too, then what is the beef? Yes, we all know others are flaunting the rules but that does not make it right to do so.

Besides, if the players are not quite the stars we want, may we be better served being patient an putting the real money on bigger stars who want to play in Orange a bit longer than just one season?

I get the arguments but we are not going to have Big State U money donors lined up waiting to dump money on high school grads who are great in sports so we have to be a little more selective. It is a problem but it has always been a problem.

We have donors.

We are competitive with NIL.

We aren't going to overpay for someone that doesn't deserve it and would hinder our ability to get a better team as a whole.

We aren't going to suffer fools, whether they be parents/agents/clout-chasing wannabes that have money.

We are in the mix for legit players for 2024, we are in the mix to have a solid team next year.

Keep in mind we are digging out of the ridiculousness that was the end of JB's tenure where we basically allowed him to create a roster that was awful that had the unfortunate timing of having a confluence of covid, NIL and portal.

The fact that Red, GMac, Griff are in it with Freeman, Bethea etc and are at least talking to Dickinson, etc is actually incredible.

We have donors.

We aren't going to overpay for someone that doesn't deserve it and would hinder our ability to get a better team as a whole.

We aren't going to suffer fools, whether they be parents/agents/clout-chasing wannabes that have money.

We are in the mix for legit players for 2024, we are in the mix to have a solid team next year.

Keep in mind we are digging out of the ridiculousness that was the end of JB's tenure where we basically allowed him to create a roster that was awful that had the unfortunate timing of having a confluence of covid, NIL and portal.

The fact that Red, GMac, Griff are in it with Freeman, Bethea etc and are at least talking to Dickinson, etc is actually incredible.
Wow thanks Mike. This is the first post on here in a few days that doesn't make me depressed about the state of SU athletics (no offense, everyone else).

I was reading about a collective for another school that raises money for football and men's and women's basketball and yes, I think it's fair to say coaches have a say in how their allotment is distributed and probably naive to think otherwise.

God I hope so.

Letting the inmates run the asylum would be a failure of Bob Burton proportions.

Probably only requires an annual filing if they are set up as a 501c3. I do have issues just blindly donating to a collective (501c3) I haven’t vetted. Seems like these collectives could be easily abused by the individuals running them if there’s no transparency (not saying that’s the case with those associated with Syracuse).

I’d personally be willing to contribute to a Syracuse men’s basketball dedicated collective where I was able to vet the group running the collective to understand their strategy and had transparency to the financials.

Yeah i'll be on record that i'll never ever donate a cent to an athlete collective. the lack of transparency and the toxicity of doing so versus donating to the school itself is an anathema to how I view charitable giving.

Not pointing fingers at how anyone else donates their money but my money is finite and if i'm giving to SU (and i give very little) it's going to the university that provided me a degree, not to a few kids getting full rides.

The only derivative to this is i'll occasionally buy season tix to football and I guess a portion is a donation.

I state all of this the idea that if the NIL is the downfall of our competitive greatness, so be it. I can't in good conscience be mad at the collective alumni base/boosters if they reach a limit to wily nily spending on random athletes to come. I know it's been going on for decades but it's not in my toolbox of ancillary spending

We have donors.

Jesse is a one year rental, and other than Dickinson and maybe Judah, wouldn’t impact future guys, unless the pot does not get replenished each year.

Jesse is a one year rental, and other than Dickinson and maybe Judah, wouldn’t impact future guys, unless the pot does not get replenished each year.
Right but overpaying for Jesse this year hurts our other efforts for this year.

You can select the sport where you want the money to be directed.
For me; it's not about where my specific check would go, it's about how the collective distributes the entire fund.

I really wanted Jesse for another year but not if he is asking for more than what he is worth. You can't set precedent of overpaying players, then a similar player will want the same or more, and much better players will demand double that or more. We have to be competitive but sensible. And, I hope we are being competitive or else we will not get back to prominence as the major schools have always been able to pay, and now you have programs at our level and below throwing round a lot of money to stay or become relevant. I don't envy the position of the decision makers.

For me; it's not about where my specific check would go, it's about how the collective distributes the entire fund.
I keep seeing this post over and over. When I donated to the 315 Collective on the website it literally took me two minutes to determine what program to donate to. I’m not sure if fans are complaining just to complain or everyone is just that lazy.

Oh but I was told on here that there are a bunch of billionaires in Syracuse and plenty of them contributing to the collective……..
Yep because all the wealthy alumni decide to settle down in Syracuse......SU has some very well off alumni. Not sure of their appetite to donate it to athletes but the money is there.

I keep seeing this post over and over. When I donated to the 315 Collective on the website it literally took me two minutes to determine what program to donate to. I’m not sure if fans are complaining just to complain or everyone is just that lazy.
So you're saying cross country, women's basketball, women's soccer only get NIL that is specifically donated to those programs? And, every donor picks where their funds go? Because, if that's not the case, a football/Men's basketball donor has their contribution diluted, without consent.

This is all brand new, it’s hard to say how much replenishment will happen over the long and short term.

So you're saying cross country, women's basketball, women's soccer only get NIL that is specifically donated to those programs? And, every donor picks where their funds go? Because, if that's not the case, a football/Men's basketball donor has their contribution diluted, without consent.
Yes. I chose to donate to Syracuse Basketball on this site. It's the very first selection in the drop down.

I have donated to the 315 its whatever its fine, but it is not going to be nearly enough and I have a real problem with the idea of chasing off big time donors if the goal is to win. Rumor out of some friends of mine who are close to Maryland is Dickenson is going to command over a million dollars. Is it worth it? I would say yes but others say no and that's fine, but if Syracuse wants to compete then lets be all in and play the game and secure the NIL $$. This feels like its a one foot in one foot out type situation. Miami has no problem with what Ruiz is doing down there, and look they made a final 4. Some people may hate it but they also hate finishing 10th in the ACC, and the fact is Miami and FSU and Clemson are our peers that's who we compete against. We should let or super wealthy alumni do whatever they are allowed to do to support our University and our Athletes. Or lets play Intermural sports, and lets the other schools do it.

You can donate to the general fund. Just select other and make a note. You don’t have to select a sport.

I have donated to the 315 its whatever its fine, but it is not going to be nearly enough and I have a real problem with the idea of chasing off big time donors if the goal is to win. Rumor out of some friends of mine who are close to Maryland is Dickenson is going to command over a million dollars. Is it worth it? I would say yes but others say no and that's fine, but if Syracuse wants to compete then lets be all in and play the game and secure the NIL $$. This feels like its a one foot in one foot out type situation. Miami has no problem with what Ruiz is doing down there, and look they made a final 4. Some people may hate it but they also hate finishing 10th in the ACC, and the fact is Miami and FSU and Clemson are our peers that's who we compete against. We should let or super wealthy alumni do whatever they are allowed to do to support our University and our Athletes. Or lets play Intermural sports, and lets the other schools do it.

What’s Ruiz up too?

Yes. I chose to donate to Syracuse Basketball on this site. It's the very first selection in the drop down.

Wow I didn't realize you could choose the specific program to donate to. Not sure why nobody has mentioned this yet.

Interesting. But, only 5 sports listed, along with "other." So, no money for Football or Men's and Women's Lacrosse? Also, this "every little bit helps" strategy without "whale" donors, seems dubious to me, but whatever.

Interesting. But, only 5 sports listed, along with "other." Also, this "every little bit helps" strategy without "whale" donors, seems dubious to me, but whatever.
Athletes Who Care is the one primarily working with football is my understanding. They have annual donation tiers of $20K, $50K, $100K and $250K

Not that tough:

1681398145464.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom