Poll: Put Your Feelings Down Now For History | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Poll: Put Your Feelings Down Now For History

How Do You Rate The Shafer Hire?

• Total voters
I like the hire a lot. I’ll love it if he adds a couple of assistants who can really recruit, because I’m somewhat skeptical of Shafer being a recruiting closer.

I think if Gross opened up a full search I think he would have gotten two piles of resumes this late in the game: Sucky and risky. Shafer is at the convention now. He knows who’s staying and who’s leaving. Hopefully he gets what he needs to fill any open holes.

I think any guy who plays the kind of defense that Shafer plays, likes doing things that have high risk, high reward. I bet he doesn’t go by the chart on 4th down.

Same offense, same terminology – this isn’t about keeping the recruits. It’s for keeping guys like Sean Hickey on a positive career path. I do think that Marrone was an excellent big picture game planner. Those Rahme articles show that the dude always had a sound game plan going in. I never had an issue with Marrone’s approach.

Finally on Marrone. If he is the only guy who leaves, it tells me a couple of things.

1) His assistants didn’t know for sure he was leaving, they might have had an inkling, but I think they were probably surprised by the outcome
2) Marrone did it purposely to keep the structure in tact in Syracuse, which I think is admirable

I wonder if there is a way for Syracuse and the Bills to creatively market the connection to help both teams. Though, I’m not sure the Bills need more fans, they just need more wins. Someone get Danny Wegman on the line.

Tell us how you feel.

Personally I love it..for early January. Would like it for early December. But put me down for Love It!

Good choice.

Put me down for lukewarm. I wanted a little more of a process. IF a full search was done (which I am skeptical of) and coaches like Golden and Mullen were contacted (you never know-see Tuberville at Cincy) and it was determined that Shafer was the best guy, it is fine with me. If we just hired Shafer because he is solid and the popular choice among players and recruits, not so much.

Pros: Stability
Good defensive mind
Experience w/ Marrone and Harbaugh

Cons: 1st time head Coach
Not much of a recruiting reputation and doesn't bring cache w/ recruits
Everything being even, wanted a top Offensive Mind-Feel those are tougher to find and replace if Hackett leaves (though somewhat sublimated if Hackett stays)

Re: Recruiting - he gets kids from South Florida to come here and play.

I liker Shafer a lot.

But I still think a full, standard search should have been done even if it would have meant losing recruits.

Better to get best guy for the long haul than to save a single class.

Think of it this way- if we were starting scratch would Shafer be the hire?

That's how it should be viewed.

I'm in your camp. I view this as a missed opportunity for the University to at least attempt to interview the best candidate possible. How do we know golden or Mullen say no Until we ask? Unfortunately, our admin rarely, if ever, goes the aggressive route.

I always try to step outside our Orange World and play non-partisan fan when we hire our coach. This will be viewed with a yawn nationally. It doesn't mean it won't work, it's just the easiest road.

And for anybody looking to jump on me, I like Shafer and Hackett a lot. I just think our administration should atleast take its time (and yes I'm aware of restraints due to Signing Day) and look around to see if we could have done better.

Now that the decision has been made though, I will be supportive and think Shafer will do a nice job (with a limited upside IMO). He's a fun guy to watch coach and I'm thrilled that Hackett will be back. If we were going his route, I didn't want to upset the momentum that our Offensive system has been gaining.

I like the hire a lot. I’ll love it if he adds a couple of assistants who can really recruit, because I’m somewhat skeptical of Shafer being a recruiting closer.

I think if Gross opened up a full search I think he would have gotten two piles of resumes this late in the game: Sucky and risky. Shafer is at the convention now. He knows who’s staying and who’s leaving. Hopefully he gets what he needs to fill any open holes.

I think any guy who plays the kind of defense that Shafer plays, likes doing things that have high risk, high reward. I bet he doesn’t go by the chart on 4th down.

Same offense, same terminology – this isn’t about keeping the recruits. It’s for keeping guys like Sean Hickey on a positive career path. I do think that Marrone was an excellent big picture game planner. Those Rahme articles show that the dude always had a sound game plan going in. I never had an issue with Marrone’s approach.

Finally on Marrone. If he is the only guy who leaves, it tells me a couple of things.

1) His assistants didn’t know for sure he was leaving, they might have had an inkling, but I think they were probably surprised by the outcome
2) Marrone did it purposely to keep the structure in tact in Syracuse, which I think is admirable

I wonder if there is a way for Syracuse and the Bills to creatively market the connection to help both teams. Though, I’m not sure the Bills need more fans, they just need more wins. Someone get Danny Wegman on the line.

Wheatley, Moore, Henderson would be the guys most likely to get a call. Cody might get a learning slot.

I'm in your camp. I view this as a missed opportunity for the University to at least attempt to interview the best candidate possible. How do we know golden or Mullen say no Until we ask? Unfortunately, our admin rarely, if ever, goes the aggressive route.

I always try to step outside our Orange World and play non-partisan fan when we hire our coach. This will be viewed with a yawn nationally. It doesn't mean it won't work, it's just the easiest road.

And for anybody looking to jump on me, I like Shafer and Hackett a lot. I just think our administration should atleast take its time (and yes I'm aware of restraints due to Signing Day) and look around to see if we could have done better.

Now that the decision has been made though, I will be supportive and think Shafer will do a nice job (with a limited upside IMO). He's a fun guy to watch coach and I'm thrilled that Hackett will be back. If we were going his route, I didn't want to upset the momentum that our Offensive system has been gaining.

I'm going to say this again, how do you know they didn't ask?

Gross was not blindsided by this, and contacts were made weeks ago. They knew who was is play and who wasn't. This decision was not made in a rush.

Are you positive that this didn't happen? "Hey Al, got any interest in coming to Syracuse? No, OK thanks." "Dan, you ever think about coming back to the northeast? Not the right time? OK thanks." Granted this was very quick and indications are Gross moved straight to Shafer, he could've made those calls in 15 minutes and still hired Shafer by the end of yesterday. Not everything that occurs ends up in the media or on some blog.

im 1 of the 2 dislikes so far.

think we shouldve opened it up and seen whats out there. its not too late, the NC game was last night, the season just ended. and we are in the top half, of a top 5 conf...top notch guys would be ready to give up whatever gig they have to come to us.

diaco, will now be recruiting against u as...and i guarantee it...a HC. and we all be like, godindamit.

please no comparisons to P, that was 22 freakin years ago.

seems to me that this was done to possibly save the recruiting class and with an eye that both hackett and shafer are worth keeping.

but if you have 2 Qbs that means you have none...same with Head Coaches.

this could get ugly. :noidea:

:eek:

Oh Lord

We have a great D, and he is the architect.
Great pedigree. Love that he's worked with the likes of Jim Harbaugh, and learned from tasting failure at Michigan.
I like that he is defensive minded.
I love that the job is done. A 5 year rebuild is not an option.

Dislike
The unknown. We will know more by October.

Lets not go crazy

We were hardly great on defense.

I don't like any of the poll options. Would have liked a 'meh' selection because that is how I feel about it. I don't love it nor do I hate it. I certainly understand why they did it.

He's not being hired just to preserve the class.
people make it out like he hasn't done a good job. he has. his defense has been better than marrone's offense in per play rankings over the whole time. you could argue the bills got a one year wonder. we kept the more consistent experienced coordinator and kept the young offensive coordinator whose offense got better the more they trusted him.

this is probably too much too expect coordinating with ACC and NFL but it would be nice if the games alternated weekend. if by chance some of them do, maybe there's some marketing opportunity there. bills on the road, come try out syracuse for a day trip

Like it.

Continuity of staff. He can build on what Marrone started, rather than having a new coach blow everything up and start from scratch.

Short of a coup like stealing Golden, or maybe Diaco because of his potential, this was the best move we could've made. Keeping Hackett makes it all the better. I really like it.
I really like it for the Hackett reason as well. Too bad Mark didn't make "really like" one of the choices. I wasn't ready to committ to love it, so I only had to like it.

Love it. Three snaps up.

Really like for many of the reasons already stated especially with Hackett staying apparently. Can push this to love depending on who leaves the staff and potential replacements.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Like it. Like it a lot more since we kept Hackett. I was in the camp of a broad search and going with a current HC or OC.

I like it. IMHO we would only get a high risk candidate at this stage in the year and the process would likely drag on. Of course there is no such thing as a guarantee and HCSS could crap the bed in his new role but I don't think (hope) he will.

I like the quick decisive move by TGD. Would be good to know if feelers were extended to test the interest in the job. My concerns are that we take a step or two back in cultivating the NYC recruiting area and that we we need to get a good ST coach with good recruiting skills. Hopefully we get the upgrades (or at least a commitment for them) that are needed which should help us land the 4-5 star kids.

Lets not go crazy

We were hardly great on defense.

"Under Shafer's guidance, the Orange defense ranked No. 6 in the nation in 2012." - Yeah, SU sucked, you are right!

Cons: Not much of a recruiting reputation and doesn't bring cache w/ recruits

For what it's worth, he's been largely responsible for all of our Florida recruits.

There'll be an opening or 3 so maybe he'll fill a staff spot with an energetic recruiter. Guy made the right calls on Morrison and Daoust (in terms of guys who can coach and motivate) so we'll see where he goes with any new coaches.

If there was a "really like" category I probably would have voted for it.

I don't like any of the poll options. Would have liked a 'meh' selection because that is how I feel about it. I don't love it nor do I hate it. I certainly understand why they did it.
I did that on purpose...I want you to make a stand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom