Portal Overload | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Portal Overload

the big thing will be the next couple of years when teams cant be over 85 any more and now many have 40+ freshmen on the roster. There are teams that could be pushing 50 and in 3 yrs could lose them all in one season.. gonna be hard for any team to be around 85 that season unless you are like Ala and have a bunch of under classmen leave early for the pros

the big thing will be the next couple of years when teams cant be over 85 any more and now many have 40+ freshmen on the roster. There are teams that could be pushing 50 and in 3 yrs could lose them all in one season.. gonna be hard for any team to be around 85 that season unless you are like Ala and have a bunch of under classmen leave early for the pros
Teams are going to have to make decisions on if they want to keep a lot of players for their 5th or 6th years. Just because they can stay per NCAA rules doesn't mean the schools have to let them. Schools will need to decide do they want to keep a bunch of upperclassmen and try to win then or cut some loose and recruit more freshmen in those classes. That is why I always thought in 2022 we could have the potential to get better recruits if we try to maximize the amount of kids we can take in 2022 and 2023. This is just because I think a lot of schools won't be able to take many kids as they need to stay under the 85 limit. So we should be able to get a higher quality kid in those classes. Or does all of the kids that are moving to the portal for every team kind of even out the fact that all the kids have an extra year? Teams are obviously going to be losing more players than they are gaining in the portal. These adds count towards to 25 player limit. And then there is the fact that unfortunately this staff kind of has to win now too so there is that. Its all so confusing...

Teams are going to have to make decisions on if they want to keep a lot of players for their 5th or 6th years. Just because they can stay per NCAA rules doesn't mean the schools have to let them. Schools will need to decide do they want to keep a bunch of upperclassmen and try to win then or cut some loose and recruit more freshmen in those classes. That is why I always thought in 2022 we could have the potential to get better recruits if we try to maximize the amount of kids we can take in 2022 and 2023. This is just because I think a lot of schools won't be able to take many kids as they need to stay under the 85 limit. So we should be able to get a higher quality kid in those classes. Or does all of the kids that are moving to the portal for every team kind of even out the fact that all the kids have an extra year? Teams are obviously going to be losing more players than they are gaining in the portal. These adds count towards to 25 player limit. And then there is the fact that unfortunately this staff kind of has to win now too so there is that. Its all so confusing...
Portal transfers don't count towards the 25...only towards the 85 limit.

Just some interesting numbers.

So that means more than 1,000 kids who entered the portal don't have a landing spot yet. Yikes! Some Division 3 schools are going to be very, very happy to pick up the scraps.

So that means more than 1,000 kids who entered the portal don't have a landing spot yet. Yikes! Some Division 3 schools are going to be very, very happy to pick up the scraps.
Agreed. Although not really scraps when there's that much quantity.

I didnt think so either.. but the article on espn yesterday implied they did. i thought only the Sr transfer though didnt count towards the 25 and most portal guys are not that anymore

I didnt think so either.. but the article on espn yesterday implied they did. i thought only the Sr transfer though didnt count towards the 25 and most portal guys are not that anymore
Yeah pretty sure transfers count against the 25. I don't think its any different than every other year. Transfers always counted against the 25 unless it was a grad transfer.

Yeah pretty sure transfers count against the 25. I don't think its any different than every other year. Transfers always counted against the 25 unless it was a grad transfer.
New transfer rule means a numbers crunch in '21 recruiting cycle

From the above article:
This is a choice which must be made because transfers count against the cap of 25 new scholarship players which may be added to a roster each year, just like new recruits do.

And a correction on my post. I think even grad transfers count against both the 25 and 85 limits.

New transfer rule means a numbers crunch in '21 recruiting cycle

From the above article:
This is a choice which must be made because transfers count against the cap of 25 new scholarship players which may be added to a roster each year, just like new recruits do.

And a correction on my post. I think even grad transfers count against both the 25 and 85 limits.
With NCAA one-time transfer legislation adopted, players, coaches and teams will navigate uncertain waters

The above article states, currently transfers count against 25 man limit as well. Point number 3.

Interesting discussions on twitter this week about how in the future top teams might stop recruiting and instead pick off the best players from lesser programs. That would be a curve ball.

Interesting discussions on twitter this week about how in the future top teams might stop recruiting and instead pick off the best players from lesser programs. That would be a curve ball.
Wonderful. We just became Clemson’s AAA team.

Nah, this stuff is going to find its level.

Last Chance U is gonna be wild.

This is False. All first year players on YOUR campus count on that 25 hard cap. Grad transfers count too. The rule reads something like "any athlete that gets their first year of financial aid counts". When in the biz, I always used to argue that if they are transfers, they wouldn't be in their first year of aid but compliance departments everywhere read that as - first time on YOUR campus.

You can sign more than 25, it just takes creative accounting when you start pushing scholarships forward or backwards. For instance, some of our mid year enrollees are probably being counted backwards to last year to free up numbers this year or vice versa depending on which class was full.

Last edited:

Heard yesterday that Indiana has picked up 8 transfers this year. That's 1/3 of their annual allotment of recruits. Why invest in the unknown (high school players) when you can get a known quantity.

Heard yesterday that Indiana has picked up 8 transfers this year. That's 1/3 of their annual allotment of recruits. Why invest in the unknown (high school players) when you can get a known quantity.
Some of the kids in the transfer portal aren't known quantities. Some never played at the school from which the are transferring.

Some of the kids in the transfer portal aren't know quantities. Some never played at the school from which the are transferring.
Yeah, those would be the ones still there, but there will be plenty of known quantities.

Yeah, those would be the ones still there, but there will be plenty of known quantities.
And some are known quantities that won't find a new home. In some cases I think a HS kid is a better choice than some of the kids in the portal.

Some Most of the kids in the transfer portal aren't know quantities. Some never played at the school from which the are transferring.

Also, once they transferred, they can't transfer again (Well, unless a blue blood wants them). This is an advantage of a transfer vs a HS guy who can leave whenever he wants for any reason.

Clarifying questions about the transfer portal.
1. For players to be immediately eligible for the 2021 football season they had to enter their name in the transfer portal by July 1st.
2. To be eligible to transfer and play immediately the player must have entered his name in the portal. This includes walkons.
Is this correct?

Isn't Liberty's QB back from last year? So, kid gets a free transfer and will still have to sit for the year.

Yeah, but - depending on his off-field "trouble", it's possible nobody else would consider him.

So, when people ask - HOW did Liberty get so good (*at football) so quickly - it's this:
They can take ANYBODY, regardless of how bad their background, grades, character, etc. may be.

Plus they have more $ than god, and are more than willing to throw it around.

Yeah, but - depending on his off-field "trouble", it's possible nobody else would consider him.

So, when people ask - HOW did Liberty get so good (*at football) so quickly - it's this:
They can take ANYBODY, regardless of how bad their background, grades, character, etc. may be.

Plus they have more $ than god, and are more than willing to throw it around.

SEC strategy isn't the worst one to emulate. Presume Liberty kids will have some unique and lucrative NIL deals available to them as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom