Possible assistant coaches... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Possible assistant coaches...

So after this homerun hire how many spots do we have left 2? We have 7 confirmed?

Sounds like a fantastic hire. Surprised that he's adding a non cult member to the offense. That being said, I think this would be a great exception to that rule. I wish we were able to keep Acosta due to his New Jersey ties, but getting Beatty seems like a no brainer. Maybe he's stretched to Jersey. From the spirograph analogy, I'm sure Babers has a New Jersey Plan (American History reference anyone?!) regardless.

Frozen said:
From the Virginian-Pilot newspaper, from June: "One of Beatty's mentors, William & Mary offensive coordinator Kevin Rogers, has no doubt it will. A former offensive coordinator at Notre Dame and Boston College as well as a former NFL assistant, Rogers was coaching at Syracuse when he walked into Beatty's office at North Stafford High in 1998." Quote from Beatty: "I can go to Northern Virginia and not need a GPS, and people know me."

Anyone connected to Rogers is A-OK with me.

TheCusian said:
Could be very interesting to see who the next couple of assistants are. Seems like great coaches want to coach with him. Reason #451900 this was a great HC hire.

I really really really hope he hits a couple of home runs on the defensive side. We know what the end result will be with the offense. He'll earn his salary on the defensive side.

rrlbees said:
I really really really hope he hits a couple of home runs on the defensive side. We know what the end result will be with the offense. He'll earn his salary on the defensive side.

Could be tougher sledding on that side too. Not known for defense, young DC, etc.

I met Beatty while I was coaching football in North Carolina. He is a phenomenal recruiter. IMO, this will pay major dividends in a short period of time. I haven't been this excited about SU Football in a LONG time, and that's saying a lot.

Just went to Virginia's football forum...almost impossible to read, reminds me of Missouri's forum. General consensus seems they are not too happy about losing him, but like I said, almost impossible to read that forum. Wonder how many recruits he brought in and if any will follow him to Cuse.

Just went to Virginia's football forum...almost impossible to read, reminds me of Missouri's forum. General consensus seems they are not too happy about losing him, but like I said, almost impossible to read that forum. Wonder how many recruits he brought in and if any will follow him to Cuse.
One commentator referred to him as a "professional nomad". Seems like that's the case with a lot of these really strong recruiters.

I suggest everyone read that SI article and note the part where Evans refers to Beatty as "one of the best recruiters in the country."
Bill-Hader-Popcorn-reaction-Gif-On-The-Daily-Show.gif

One commentator referred to him as a "professional nomad". Seems like that's the case with a lot of these really strong recruiters.

Saw that comment...I am assuming if they didn't just hire a new head coach he would still be there.

SU made a very, very good hire w/Beatty. A lot of folks on our board were hoping he would stay on our staff because they feel that Mizzell's (#4, the guy who catches all those wheel route passes on 3rd down that make 1st downs for us) performance this year was a direct result of Beatty's coaching.

I guess as long as he visited before the announcement it is not "taboo ".
Now is there any Maryland kids we should be targeting also?

There were 2-3 jobs where he was only there for a year because the HC was fired the following year. That said, it is definitely a nomadic life.

Could be tougher sledding on that side too. Not known for defense, young DC, etc.

Yeah and truthfully how many people are enamored with running the tampa 2 in college? It’s a pro defense generally requiring factory players.

Designed to stop pro offenses it’s not that good against spread teams.

Successful defenses in college by non factories are aggressive attacking schemes that wreak havoc on an offense and force QB’s to make quick decisions.

Base 4 man rushes isn’t going to cut it at Syracuse unless there’s another Freeney and Art Jones on the roster.

At this point though what’s left are DL and LB’s right? Can we really have a homerun hire at these spots?

Seven 3* per the Post Standard.

Seven 3* per the Post Standard.

I don't know how reliable 24/7 is, but they list eight 3* kids for whom he was the primary recruiter and 1 for whom he was the secondary recruiter. The 8 primary are from FL (4), VA (3), and MD (1), while the secondary is from NC. Not every kid has his recruiter's name listed. Again, who knows...