Class of 2017 - POSSIBLE GRAD TRANSFER LIST | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 POSSIBLE GRAD TRANSFER LIST

Brown is 6'4 and can score.
Yes please. Continue the Mountain West 5th year to Syracuse train please.
Appears he's not a PG. Had 95 assists and 94 turnovers. 33% from behind the arc.

Had yesterday not happened I would think it would be a no brainer for this kid to come to Cuse. No this isn't a anti JAB post. However if you peep the kids high school we had a HCIW that is also a Mater Dei alum. You would think you could connect the dots to the Dome. Now with Fultz leaving there is a definite hole at PG in Seattle. Something tells me our old lead recruiter could be a thorn in our side sooner than later. Hoping Cuse can somehow get this kid on campus for a visit. You would think he has a high hoops IQ based on who his daddy is. What say you Francis

Battle can be a combo guard.
If we are going to go combo route with Battle, Mobley Wouldn't be a bad pick up. Wouldn't be my first but a pretty good fall back.

Had yesterday not happened I would think it would be a no brainer for this kid to come to Cuse. No this isn't a anti JAB post. However if you peep the kids high school we had a HCIW that is also a Mater Dei alum. You would think you could connect the dots to the Dome. Now with Fultz leaving there is a definite hole at PG in Seattle. Something tells me our old lead recruiter could be a thorn in our side sooner than later. Hoping Cuse can somehow get this kid on campus for a visit. You would think he has a high hoops IQ based on who his daddy is. What say you Francis
Seems to be a high volume SG. We're set with Battle at that position and I would assume that he'll want to go to a place where he'll start asap with less comp at the position. Getting a PG and shooter at the wings is a must this spring.

academic senior 6-1 PG Malcolm Allen will transfer from Stanford with 1 year of eligibility remaining.

he hasn't shown to be an SU caliber player, but mentioning him for the sake of keeping this list comprehensive

He won't be getting any media exposure in Washington playing at 11:00 pm most games. At Cuse he will be on national TV many times, could be a big factor in a Cuse/Boeheim resurgence. That would be a national story.

He won't be getting any media exposure in Washington playing at 11:00 pm most games. At Cuse he will be on national TV many times, could be a big factor in a Cuse/Boeheim resurgence. That would be a national story.
A factor I assume our staff plays against teams that may not be quite thevTV draw. If it's us vs west coast teams, that's a good piece in our favor.

Had yesterday not happened I would think it would be a no brainer for this kid to come to Cuse. No this isn't a anti JAB post. However if you peep the kids high school we had a HCIW that is also a Mater Dei alum. You would think you could connect the dots to the Dome.
you know this must be true because the pipeline from talent-rich Mater Dei to Syracuse has flowed like Niagara the last two decades

As good as White and Gillon were, they were not very good defensively. It took them half a season to play the SU zone at a mediocre level. Going the grad transfer route will mean we'd have another mediocre defensive team. But then we need players... I don't know...

As good as White and Gillon were, they were not very good defensively. It took them half a season to play the SU zone at a mediocre level. Going the grad transfer route will mean we'd have another mediocre defensive team. But then we need players... I don't know...
There are other teams that play some zone defense.

There are other teams that play some zone defense.

Yes, but few teams play the type of zone SU does. I'd be more inclined to land some program recruits that will be around for a while then a stop gap player again, that will leave us in the same boat defensively.

Why? I thought White was a fine player and young person.

The lack of continuity is part of the reason we stink. Look at the teams left in the tournament right now. Most of the teams left are littered with upperclassmen that have been with their schools forever and know their systems with a couple young guys mixed in. Even UK has upperclass leadership that knows their system.

The lack of continuity is part of the reason we stink. Look at the teams left in the tournament right now. Most of the teams left are littered with upperclassmen that have been with their schools forever and know their systems with a couple young guys mixed in. Even UK has upperclass leadership that knows their system.
How can you stop guys from going pro? I watch a lot of college bball and see great players all over the place which get no interest from scouts. As soon as an SU guy shows some skills and potential, he is gone. Some of the guys weren't even recruited that highly and they still get taken.

How can you stop guys from going pro? I watch a lot of college bball and see great players all over the place which get no interest from scouts. As soon as an SU guy shows some skills and potential, he is gone. Some of the guys weren't even recruited that highly and they still get taken.

I totally agree with your point and there are some advantages to transfers. A 5th year one and done is likely to be more poised than a freshman one and done. Gillon and White were fantastic additions to this year's team and we wouldn't have won as many games without them. That said, I'd much rather have our new players mostly be freshmen. One, there's a chance that they could stick around. Two, the recruiting timeline is a little more stable (most of the time). We often know earlier if we have a high school player committed. You have to wait until after the season is over to begin recruiting a player from another college, and even then there are more limitations on how the coaches can recruit.

I totally agree with your point and there are some advantages to transfers. A 5th year one and done is likely to be more poised than a freshman one and done. Gillon and White were fantastic additions to this year's team and we wouldn't have won as many games without them. That said, I'd much rather have our new players mostly be freshmen. One, there's a chance that they could stick around. Two, the recruiting timeline is a little more stable (most of the time). We often know earlier if we have a high school player committed. You have to wait until after the season is over to begin recruiting a player from another college, and even then there are more limitations on how the coaches can recruit.
You make good points. But if it was an established method, that SU is where you go if you go if you are on the edge of being drafted, then I think you could expect to land the top players off that list. If AWIII gets drafted relatively high, that could really get some attention from the better grad players. I know this is not the traditional collegiate approach, but the current state of big time college athletics is really semi-pro.

That is very true. Even Michigan. Derrick Walton Jr., Zack Irvin, Duncan Robinson, DJ Wilson, etc.

Yes, but few teams play the type of zone SU does. I'd be more inclined to land some program recruits that will be around for a while then a stop gap player again, that will leave us in the same boat defensively.
That would be ideal, but the staff hasn't gotten those players to come here. We've had open spots that haven't been filled by HS recruits, so the 5th years are brought in to make the team competitive and somewhat whole.

We currently have 3 open roster spots, maybe more, even with a 2 scholarship reduction. That's all on the staff and not due to a kid leaving early for the NBA...

Because we always target marginal to good or a bit better basketball players, who are fabulous athletes, and packed with potential. NBA scouts drool over that stuff! So they aren't good enough to help us win now, but are good enough to sneak into the first round because of that nasty P word(potential)! Then they either develop after they're gone and stay, or they fade away into nothingness overseas!

Other schools get great basketball players...who don't have the athleticism to play NBA ball, but are plenty good enough players to help their teams win, and put up decent numbers doing it.

I understand your frustration...that's how we've always been, because we have recruited for the zone. We need athletes to play a good JB zone defense.

Why? I thought White was a fine player and young person.

taking one because he is a great fit and meets an immediate need is one thing

taking more than one because its the only way you can fill out a roster is another thing entirely

taking one because he is a great fit and meets an immediate need is one thing

taking more than one because its the only way you can fill out a roster is another thing entirely
What if the absolute top grad transfers from across the country thought, Syracuse is the place to go to get enough coverage to be considered to be a high enough draft pick to have a real chance in the league? I don't see any school that has committed to this format, for many reasons. I don't see why it's not a valid formula. Any player at that age and level of talent and maturity would know that nothing but complete dedication and effort would be acceptable if they want to be drafted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom