Post Bowl game thoughts and going forward | Syracusefan.com

Post Bowl game thoughts and going forward

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • Kudos to the guys who played their heart out
  • Thrilled for Beck and Monroe to get a chance to coach this game. I'm sure they both learned a lot
  • Allen was excellent
  • After Dino just gave Allen almost all the carries, I'm wondering if he has had a change in strategy from rotating multiple backs to giving almost all the carries to the #1 back. I know he was doing it w/ Tucker, but he has previously said he was doing it as a unique case b/c he was a special talent (Plus early in the year trying to help him w/ Heisman numbers). However, if he thinks Allen is so good now, why give him so few carries during the year. That's why I think he's going full Boeheim now with his RB substitution pattern. I disagree with it, especially when you have a solid #2 RB like Price who has proven himself on the D-1 level. This can also make it more difficult to recruit and retain quality backup RB's in the transfer portal age, when you have guys transferring multiple times in a college career.
  • I know there were a few drops, but the receivers also had some excellent snags on inaccurate passes, as well. I'm sure the field didn't help in this matter, as guys have to be extra conscious of not slipping.
  • Was disappointed with Dino punting twice when we had 4th and very makeable on their side of the field. I also didn't like taking a timeout on offense in the 4th quarter.
  • Thought Shrader really struggled throwing the ball yesterday. Agree w/ others that his ball seems to take a long time to get to the receiver, but this is the worst his accuracy has been this year. Thought he also made some big plays and did better throwing the ball away when there was nothing there. Obviously the pick 6 was a killer
  • Very impressed with the Defense considering how many weren't playing. Minnesota also seemed to be a different team once Ibrahim left the game. We totally outplayed the team on the field, except for the pick 6 and Special Teams.
  • I have been very disappointed with Special teams this year-I thought it would have a significant improvement this year w/ the new coach, but the main difference has been Szmyt getting closer to his old form. We have really struggled to punt (with 2 scholarship Punters) and cover kicks. OI have never seen so many shanks in one season. Gotta believe it's in Von marburg's head at this point. Happy we're bringing in the new punter from Mizzou.
  • All in all, considering how much we were missing, have to be encouraged by the effort. Dino is correct in pointing out penalties and ST as the 2 areas most in need of improvement. I think we have more than enough talent to win 7+ games next year-The question to me is can we finally improve in those 2 areas and how will the OL play next year. Think Dino should talk to Clawson or the like about what he does to keep penalties so low every year.
  • Very proud of the guys and psyched for 2023!

Last edited:
OL, OL, OL.

Shrader showed vast improvement in year 1 of this offensive system; will be interesting to see if he continues to improve. But we're only going to be as good as our OL -- so the transfers need to produce -- at least two of them should start. If the OL improves, I could see us getting to 8+, with the defensive talent we return.

Would be great to see the WRs continue to evolve. Will Jones bounce back from injury? Will Umari Hatcher take the next step? Will Brown produce and challenge for PT? Do we add anybody via the portal that bolster this unit?

Was what we saw yesterday from Villari a sign that TE is shored up? Can he catch?

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic for next year. A couple of things need to gel [Reed / More being ready from the jump, Bellamy / Gould being ready to play], but those things don't seem far fetched.

With regards to the RB rotation, Dino said in his first few years, he prefers to have a workhorse RB that gets the bulk of the carries. He rotated guys like Strickland and Neal because neither separated themself from the other to earn that role. Tucker was the first guy we've had that fit what Dino looked for in a complete RB and Dino said he allowed him to indicate when he needed a break.

With regards to the RB rotation, Dino said in his first few years, he prefers to have a workhorse RB that gets the bulk of the carries. He rotated guys like Strickland and Neal because neither separated themself from the other to earn that role. Tucker was the first guy we've had that fit what Dino looked for in a complete RB and Dino said he allowed him to indicate when he needed a break.
He discussed after one of the games this year and said if he has a special back, he doesn't split the carries. The problem with that is if you're still doing that next year with Allen, that means he was good enough to get more carries this year. I also think guys benefit from being fresh, easier able to go 100% on every play. There's a reason why most teams give multiple guys carries...and that was pre-transfer portal.

Last edited:
We are just like most teams in how the carries are handed out.

If we are only getting 20 carries a game from the RB spot does it really matter if they are splitting or not.

Look at TCU last night.. that kid made plays.. he had 90 carries all yr before that game and the other kid had 220..

Tucker had 200 and Allen has 40.

we had 400 as a team and TCU has had 550. Throw another 150 on their and Allen would probably had more because we would have been winning more..

Look at the Mich kid, he looked good.. until the stud got hurt he had like 70 carries and Mich had a ton of blow outs..

I question how durable Allen will be over the course of a season if he’s getting 20-30 touches a game. He got dinged in the bowl game (26 touches) and had to come out. The #2 back will have to be ready to go next season.

I question how durable Allen will be over the course of a season if he’s getting 20-30 touches a game. He got dinged in the bowl game (26 touches) and had to come out. The #2 back will have to be ready to go next season.
I love his recieving ability. In a perfect world, if we could find a workhorse RB to team up with allen, I think that would be ideal.

He discussed after one of the games this year and said if he has a special back, he doesn't split the carries. The problem with that is if you're still doing that next year with Allen, that means he was good enough to get more carries this year. I also think guys benefit from being fresh, easier able to go 100% on every play. There's a reason why most teams give multiple guys carries...and that was pre-transfer portal.
Yeah, even Etienne was spelled when he was at Clemson. I don't trust a guy to know when he needs a break. By the time you feel it, you're already getting worn out.

Dino does the same thing with receivers. He takes a LONG time to try new guys even when the starter is not doing great.

My most consistent game posts this year were to question whether we had actually hired a special teams coach or not because I couldn’t tell

Dino does the same thing with receivers. He takes a LONG time to try new guys even when the starter is not doing great.
Forget receivers-How long did he keep the Hoeh/Mang fullback disaster (not blaming the players) going until he finally pulled the plug at the end of the season? Think Villari will be a major upgrade there.

I love his recieving ability. In a perfect world, if we could find a workhorse RB to team up with allen, I think that would be ideal.
Har the UCONN kid committed to anywhere yet?

I haven't seen anything about it yet? Do we have him on the recruiting board?
I don't know, but if we're looking for a RB you'd think a good player you've gone up against that's relatively local would be a guy to kick the tires on.

Good point. I was very impressed with Allen, especially his ability as a receiver and his toughness. Teams will have to game plan for his varied skill set next season. This alone will help GS.

Ideally, I would like to see the staff add a big back as a complement to Allen. Not a FB type, just a big back. They could easily run some 21 personnel sets and motion Allen to a WR spot if/when they are on the field at the same time.

Good point. I was very impressed with Allen, especially his ability as a receiver and his toughness. Teams will have to game plan for his varied skill set next season. This alone will help GS.

Ideally, I would like to see the staff add a big back as a complement to Allen. Not a FB type, just a big back. They could easily run some 21 personnel sets and motion Allen to a WR spot if/when they are on the field at the same time.
I really liked his recieving. His running looked average to me. He looked to me like he needs to get stronger as a runner, but he's young.

I really liked his recieving. His running looked average to me. He looked to me like he needs to get stronger as a runner, but he's young.
Needs to add some mass. If you have ever seen him in person, he is surprisingly well-built for his current weight. He looks to have good vision and balance as a runner, as well as underlying toughness.

I think he has all the tools. All he needs is 5-7 lbs of pure muscle. Keep his fast twitch ability. He already has a serious stiff arm and hands that match any receiver we have. The 5-7 would help him on his inside runs. A good second back will help. Price seemed slow compared to Allen in bowl game. Quite a bit of difference actually.

I think Shrader is their big back to compliment Allen. Not saying I'm for it but it seems to be what's available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom