Post Draft Views on Our Guys..... | Syracusefan.com

Post Draft Views on Our Guys.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
by my NBA scout friend.

He was surprised Tyler fell as much as he did - he described him as the "best pure point" in the draft & had him tabbed in the 10 to 15 range. He was very impressed with Tyler's smarts & his sneaky athleticism. He described him as a smaller Tony Parker in terms of the similarities in their games.

He had Jerami going about where he did. Loved his athleticism & had concerns about his shot. Said personality wise that Jerami was a great kid. Felt due to his being only 19 that the upside was strong.

He has CJ getting drafted mid-second round & was surprised he went undrafted.

For Knick fans - he liked Early & feels he will be able to play in the NBA, albeit with limited upside.

I think Tyler needed to come back and show he could run a team at an uptempo.
Grant, of course, had to prove that he could master a position.
And poor CJ got caught in the sloooow offense that didn't flatter him.

I think Tyler needed to come back and show he could run a team at an uptempo.
Grant, of course, had to prove that he could master a position.
And poor CJ got caught in the sloooow offense that didn't flatter him.
If Tyler came back I don't think we would see the same up uptempo pace that many are expecting this year with Joseph. That just isn't Tyler's game, he is just way to deliberate.

OrangeAl said:
I think Tyler needed to come back and show he could run a team at an uptempo. Grant, of course, had to prove that he could master a position. And poor CJ got caught in the sloooow offense that didn't flatter him.

Then why wouldn't we have ran up tempo this past year?

If Tyler came back I don't think we would see the same up uptempo pace that many are expecting this year with Joseph. That just isn't Tyler's game, he is just way to deliberate.

Exactly, tyler is never going to be ty lawson. He would have improved his stock if he had gotten stronger and worked on his outside shot.

by my NBA scout friend.

He was surprised Tyler fell as much as he did - he described him as the "best pure point" in the draft & had him tabbed in the 10 to 15 range. He was very impressed with Tyler's smarts & his sneaky athleticism. He described him as a smaller Tony Parker in terms of the similarities in their games.

He had Jerami going about where he did. Loved his athleticism & had concerns about his shot. Said personality wise that Jerami was a great kid. Felt due to his being only 19 that the upside was strong.

For Knick fans - he liked Early & feels he will be able to play in the NBA, albeit with limited upside.
I worry about your friend's assessment...because I absolutely agree with him on all counts.

One thing about the Knicks...they took the best available player.
But I think they really would have preferred Joe Harris who went one pick earlier.
Harris could have been a nice role player in the triangle.

Yeah, I think you're right. But, for Tyler to go any higher in the draft he would have to show that he's more than a plodder. Maybe he did well to come out this year, since he may just be a plodder.

Yeah, I think you're right. But, for Tyler to go any higher in the draft he would have to show that he's more than a plodder. Maybe he did well to come out this year, since he may just be a plodder.
I believe the Suns were one of the fastest teams in the league last year, so we will find out real quick if he is capable of playing a faster style.

by my NBA scout friend.

The nba values possessions a lot. Tyler could be a 3 plus assist/to guy...

Tyler was a solid player but I wasn't a fan of how the team ran with him at the point. Solid possessions but didn't brink that extra burst and didn't keep teams on their toes with the fast break. After getting over the initial shock of it all, I'm happy he moved on.

Are we believing that our HOF coach let a kid play 38 minutes a game without running the offense the way he wanted? JB determined last year's tempo, not TE.
Yes JB did. But imo JB played at the pace he did for two primary reasons 1) He knew TEs strengths and weaknesses (so TE was a big reason for that slow pace) 2) the limited bench (ie he knew he couldnt afford to wear out his starters w a fast pace (ironically many of our starters wore out anyway)).

Exactly, tyler is never going to be ty lawson. He would have improved his stock if he had gotten stronger and worked on his outside shot.

I think Tyler had less chance to improve than Grant. Tyler might have gone higher in a weaker draft next year, but no guarantees he would have improved by much. Now with Grant, that's another thing. I think his parents rushed him out. If you aren't one of the featured players on your team, you ought to come back.

Yes JB did. But imo JB played at the pace he did for two primary reasons 1) He knew TEs strengths and weaknesses (so TE was a big reason for that slow pace) 2) the limited bench (ie he knew he couldnt afford to wear out his starters w a fast pace (ironically many of our starters wore out anyway)).

Was the bench featuring 3 top 100 recruits truly limited, or just limited in that they didn't have JB's trust? If JB wanted to run more, he wouldn't have played TE 38 minutes a game, or ignored the press except for desperate situations. Now maybe there were some other factors, but tempo to me had more to do with playing TE and CJ major minutes and not having faith in the bench players to be able to provide 3-4 minutes per half.

Was the bench featuring 3 top 100 recruits truly limited, or just limited in that they didn't have JB's trust? If JB wanted to run more, he wouldn't have played TE 38 minutes a game, or ignored the press except for desperate situations. Now maybe there were some other factors, but tempo to me had more to do with playing TE and CJ major minutes and not having faith in the bench players to be able to provide 3-4 minutes per half.

That's the big question. Boeheim did say shortly after the season ended that it was a mistake playing Ennis/Cooney so many minutes. I see more willingness to use the bench this season. There's no other choice, really.

We had no backup PG. We had no change of pace guard to use to push tempo. TE needed to play max minutes. His game is the controlled 1/2 court game which lets face it, has never been SU's strong suit. They weren't going to run more if they played their bench more. It was almost a perfect storm yet the team still did some great things. I can't go so far as saying I'm glad TE left, I like the kid too much. I am looking forward to a little more tempo this season though. And I think comparing TE to Tony Parker is fine as long as you call him a less athletic Tony Parker.

Its always said players should come out if they are a guaranteed lottery pick and neither one of our underclassmen were selected in the lottery. That is what is frustrating as a Syracuse Basketball fan. Ennis doesn't get taken in the lottery and then proceeds to get drafted imo by the worst possible fit. Suns are an uptempo team and I hope I'm wrong but he is not extremely athletic and plays with a slower pace then what that teams offensive philosophy is. Grant didn't even go in the first round. These two should be back in Syracuse getting ready for the upcoming season and that is what has become so frustrating with todays college game. Players leave based on bad info which results in them going to bad situations without any guaranteed money. Yes they may make it to there second contract but they are not guaranteed anything as of right now.

We had no backup PG. We had no change of pace guard to use to push tempo. TE needed to play max minutes. His game is the controlled 1/2 court game which lets face it, has never been SU's strong suit. They weren't going to run more if they played their bench more. It was almost a perfect storm yet the team still did some great things. I can't go so far as saying I'm glad TE left, I like the kid too much. I am looking forward to a little more tempo this season though. And I think comparing TE to Tony Parker is fine as long as you call him a less athletic Tony Parker.

Less athletic and far less effective finisher in the paint.

But again, TE will get better. No question about that.

We had no backup PG. We had no change of pace guard to use to push tempo. TE needed to play max minutes. His game is the controlled 1/2 court game which lets face it, has never been SU's strong suit. They weren't going to run more if they played their bench more. It was almost a perfect storm yet the team still did some great things...
And it did great things with CJ as the first AND second option in a halfcourt offense.
That's one big reason we had such a tough time down the stretch.
Opponents could key on him: stop CJ and stop the Orange.
Rarely did anyone else step up.
And there was no running game to take a little of the heat off.

The Suns must believe TE can run if they want to run.
Otherwise why draft him?

Are we believing that our HOF coach let a kid play 38 minutes a game without running the offense the way he wanted? JB determined last year's tempo, not TE.
Yes, but a huge part of Jim's deciding to play that tempo was what he thought Tyler was suited(capable of?) for. Jim has traditionally been an up tempo coach for the most part.

Adjusted Tempo rankings for SU from KenPom show that JB has been trending towards a slower pace the last 4 seasons. I'd say it has to do with a lot more than just Ennis' strengths

2014-343
2013- 252
2012- 209
2011-177
2010-55
2009-34
2008-27
2007-28

Adjusted Tempo rankings for SU from KenPom show that JB has been trending towards a slower pace the last 4 seasons. I'd say it has to do with a lot more than just Ennis' strengths

2014-343
2013- 252
2012- 209
2011-177
2010-55
2009-34
2008-27
2007-28

343...good god.

SoBeCuse said:
343...good god.
Yeah but some of our worst teams are our fastest. Some of our best, our slowest

Yeah but some of our worst teams are our fastest. Some of our best, our slowest

I buy some of that. Still, gotta be able to score when it counts. We also tend to regress as of late towards the end of the season. The Final 4 team caught fire towards the end of the season but they were tough to watch often offensively, imo.