Post spring unit Depth Charts | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Post spring unit Depth Charts

Darton is absolutely going to see defensive snaps. He is game ready. Is he a starter? No. Does he he know what you need to do to contribute in the acc? Yep. He did it last year. He’s physically developed. We will need him to play.
You making too much sense. Stop it. This board is not for that. lol but a transfer could knock Darton to #3 on the chart but he will get some snaps still. If he earned snaps last year then he can earn some this year. Thats common sense.

Last edited:
What is the best way to wind up with 4.4 guys who know their position and assignments?

Duffle bags of cash? Honestly never truly know, outside top 300 recruits, until a player is in practice to see live. High gpa is good start, film habits are crucial. If a guy has been able to accel on raw athleticism every year vs competition they may not have ever had to actually study film or read a play

Darton is absolutely going to see defensive snaps. He is game ready. Is he a starter? No. Does he he know what you need to do to contribute in the acc? Yep. He did it last year. He’s physically developed. We will need him to play.

He's a bull with low center of gravity. Met him on field with my youngest a couple years ago and chatted with his parents prior to be let on. Great kid, great family and expectations have absolutely for him to contribute on game days despite walk on status

He's a bull with low center of gravity. Met him on field with my youngest a couple years ago and chatted with his parents prior to be let on. Great kid, great family and expectations have absolutely for him to contribute on game days despite walk on status
The thinking is that he's a walk on so he's not good enough. Its lazy analysis.

Also - this dude must be next in line for walkons who are gonna earn a scholly.

I can't think of anybody else who likely deserves one more than he does.
(unless LS Bolinsky isn't on scholly yet, in which case, he's first, then this kid)

You seem to know x's and o's, so I will defer to you on that. I don't expect the DT position to exactly be a "stat sheet stuffer" position, ideally you want that player to command a double-team, so the DEs and LBs can do their thing. Now, I realize we don't exactly have an Aaron Donald on the roster, so maybe that's asking too much. I treat it like a lacrosse face-off, you want that player to at least win 50% of the one on ones. Darton and Harper just seemed to be easily locked down by a single O-Lineman most of the time. Now, if that's all you ask from that position, what does it matter who you play there? I mean, I could go in and be pancaked every play, and occupy a single O-Lineman.

You seem to know x's and o's, so I will defer to you on that. I don't expect the DT position to exactly be a "stat sheet stuffer" position, ideally you want that player to command a double-team, so the DEs and LBs can do their thing. Now, I realize we don't exactly have an Aaron Donald on the roster, so maybe that's asking too much. I treat it like a lacrosse face-off, you want that player to at least win 50% of the one on ones. Darton and Harper just seemed to be easily locked down by a single O-Lineman most of the time. Now, if that's all you ask from that position, what does it matter who you play there? I mean, I could go in and be pancaked every play, and occupy a single O-Lineman.
No one does. The youth and inexperience on the D line has been a non stop topic on this forum. Most think they will still bring transfers in. So Im gonna reserve my judgement until August. The staff knows what they have and what transfers they need to pursue. They already attempted to get some higher profile D lineman. As of right now, its all based on the development of the underclassmen. Some of them might have made more progress than expected.

Now as far as Darton. He actually does some things well. I can see why he earned snaps. No one thinks he's a stud but with the weight loss and added quickness I expect him to get snaps just like he did last year (I still think the staff will add a transfer to play the interior). Im also not going to assume players who havent played a snap are better. I have to see evidence first. For example, Lockett enrolled early, learned the scheme and passed Harper and Darton up. He got more snaps than them. Harper wasnt a good fit. When he was in there the defense was limited in what they could do up front. If you really want to undesrstand the scheme, I dont mind providing you my thoughts. I run this scheme at the HS level.

No one does. The youth and inexperience on the D line has been a non stop topic on this forum. Most think they will still bring transfers in. So Im gonna reserve my judgement until August. The staff knows what they have and what transfers they need to pursue. They already attempted to get some higher profile D lineman. As of right now, its all based on the development of the underclassmen. Some of them might have made more progress than expected.

Now as far as Darton. He actually does some things well. I can see why he earned snaps. No one thinks he's a stud but with the weight loss and added quickness I expect him to get snaps just like he did last year (I still think the staff will add a transfer to play the interior). Im also not going to assume players who havent played a snap are better. I have to see evidence first. For example, Lockett enrolled early, learned the scheme and passed Harper and Darton up. He got more snaps than them. Harper wasnt a good fit. When he was in there the defense was limited in what they could do up front. If you really want to undesrstand the scheme, I dont mind providing you my thoughts. I run this scheme at the HS level.
I mean, others with more football knowledge than me, seem to like Darton. Including Dino Babers, I've seen him talking with Darton on the sidelines, treating him like a son. So, guess I'm not seeing something. Just think, DT has been a dragging anchor to this defense.

Also - this dude must be next in line for walkons who are gonna earn a scholly.

I can't think of anybody else who likely deserves one more than he does.
(unless LS Bolinsky isn't on scholly yet, in which case, he's first, then this kid)
Yup, he's done everything they asked for. He's earned significant snaps. 20 other walk ons havent seen the field the way he has.

It seems like we need to change the name of this thread to “DT Freakout”
There are some questions on the DLine but we are a little less than five months from the start of the season.
Plenty of time for the current players and incoming recruits to get bigger, stronger and learn the system.
Plenty of time to add players from the transfer portal. They are entering every day. They have until may 1st to enter the portal and be eligible for the season.
The staff knows what they need and will do everything they can to address any needs. They may not get everything they need but it will not be from lack of trying.

There are some questions on the DLine but we are a little less than five months from the start of the season.
Plenty of time for the current players and incoming recruits to get bigger, stronger and learn the system.
Plenty of time to add players from the transfer portal. They are entering every day. They have until may 1st to enter the portal and be eligible for the season.
The staff knows what they need and will do everything they can to address any needs. They may not get everything they need but it will not be from lack of trying.
It seems like some freak out if people dont say the D line is inexperience and undersized each day. Its like they are worried people are going to forget. lol

We need to recruit this guy:

Well, same could be said of DT situation last season. Bear coming off an injury; and only Harper and Darton. Didn't bring anyone in, and we had to burn Lockett's redshirt year. I'll put down a sawbuck and say we are going to regret not having Terry Lockett the full grown man for another season in a few years.

Well, same could be said of DT situation last season. Bear coming off an injury; and only Harper and Darton. Didn't bring anyone in, and we had to burn Lockett's redshirt year. I'll put down a sawbuck and say we are going to regret not having Terry Lockett the full grown man for another season in a few years.
He's going to be a good one. Watch him this year.

Lockett became one of our better interior lineman. Thats why he played more than 4 games. You complain that the staff doesnt play the best players then criticize them when they do.

Lockett became one of our better interior lineman. Thats why he played more than 4 games. You complain that the staff doesnt play the best players then criticize them when they do.
We wouldn't have had to play him, if the staff brought in a DT transfer last year like they should have. I guarantee you, a RS Senior Terry Lockett would have had a better season than a true freshman Terry Lockett.

We wouldn't have had to play him, if the staff brought in a DT transfer last year like they should have. I guarantee you, a RS Senior Terry Lockett would have had a better season than a true freshman Terry Lockett.
What quality DT transfer was coming in to compete with 4 senior lineman? Even if they brought one in Lockett could have still been better than him. He moved his way to second on the depth chart. You dont sit players that can help you win. He can possibly have 3 years as a starter because he got valuable experience as a freshman. There's not going to be much redshirting now with this new transfer policy. Also keep in mind he could still redshirt at any time.

What quality DT transfer was coming in to compete with 4 senior lineman? Even if they brought one in Lockett could have still been better than him. He moved his way to second on the depth chart. You dont sit players that can help you win. He can possibly have 3 years as a starter because he got valuable experience as a freshman. There's not going to be much redshirting now with this new transfer policy. Also keep in mind he could still redshirt at any time.
Just don't agree. Seems like Syracuse is the only school that can't get players if there is an incumbent starter. The other seniors were all DE's. Bear was a big question mark coming back from injury, and not even ready to start the year. Harper doesn't get a scholarship from any other school in the ACC, and he was in the 2-deep his entire career at SU. Then freshman and a walk-on; that's some sort of daunting competition? Using up a freshman at any position is a bit of a waste, but at DT, unless you're talking 5-star SEC kid, is a fail on the coaching staff. Lockett could have gotten plenty of experience in 4 games, and still keep his eligibility.

What quality DT transfer was coming in to compete with 4 senior lineman? Even if they brought one in Lockett could have still been better than him. He moved his way to second on the depth chart. You dont sit players that can help you win. He can possibly have 3 years as a starter because he got valuable experience as a freshman. There's not going to be much redshirting now with this new transfer policy.
He jumped over a senior and another guy with a couple of years experience. And you’re right, nobody was transferring with two seniors already in the position

Just don't agree. Seems like Syracuse is the only school that can't get players if there is an incumbent starter. The other seniors were all DE's. Bear was a big question mark coming back from injury, and not even ready to start the year. Harper doesn't get a scholarship from any other school in the ACC, and he was in the 2-deep his entire career at SU. Then freshman and a walk-on; that's some sort of daunting competition? Using up a freshman at any position is a bit of a waste, but at DT, unless you're talking 5-star SEC kid, is a fail on the coaching staff. Lockett could have gotten plenty of experience in 4 games, and still keep his eligibility.
My man you have to get out and watch other teams. SU is not the only team that misses on prospects. Sounds like you want to blame the coaches for everything. News flash we have been a struggling program for 20 years now. Its not just the coaches. Its more than that.

Last edited:
My man you have to get out and watch other teams. SU is not the only team that misses on prospects. Sounds like you want to blame the coaches for everything. News flash we have been a struggling program for 20 years now. Its not just the coaches. Its more than that.
I like our coaching staff for the most part; just think they miss on some pretty basic decisions. But with the crazy money they make these days, I'm sure they're laughing all the way to the bank thinking about my criticisms on a fanforum.

I believe that we finally have an ACC caliber staff. In fact this might be the best Syracuse coaching staff since Mac was coach.
Every assistant has excellent experience and credentials.
I believe that our DC and OC are in the top 3rd of the ACC.
Specials, Defensive backfield, OL, LB, QB all top notch. Recruiting staff has also been upgraded and we are Thank God concentrating on our core eastern areas vs wasting time in Texas and other areas that never made strategic sense.
Dino has been provided with more resources and time than any SU football coach in the History of the program and i believe if he allows his coordinators to do their jobs and he focuses on being the CEO vs game planning and play calling that we will begin to win games on a consistent basis.
Add in the 150m athletic initiative and SU football should be back.
Coaching matters.

It seems like some freak out if people dont say the D line is inexperience and undersized each day. Its like they are worried people are going to forget. lol
Lets not forget that we are undersized and thin at the DL position:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom