Post spring unit Depth Charts | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Post spring unit Depth Charts

They still have to know what they are doing. They will lose games because of missed assignments as well. The staff is not purposely holding the better athletes back from playing. Coley is one of the slowest DB's they have but you rather have him out there?
No, Coley is not a sexy player, but he at least has some size. My 3 safeties starters would be Carter, Oliver, Clark. Folk and Barron in the rotation, for a 2 deep. Like Simmons and Smurf, but special teams or "break in case of emergency only." Starting Game 1 for Louisville. Gotta have that win.

No, Coley is not a sexy player, but he at least has some size. My 3 safeties starters would be Carter, Oliver, Clark. Folk and Barron in the rotation, for a 2 deep.
Size is cool but you have to be able to play. Size don't automatically make you better. There's other variables. Some of the biggest and most talented guys I played with couldn't stay on the field. Based on size and speed alone I will say those 3 should be starters (on paper) but there are other factors we can't account for.

Size is cool but you have to be able to play. Size don't automatically make you better. There's other variables. Some of the biggest and most talented guys I played with couldn't stay on the field. Based on size and speed alone I will say those 3 should be starters (on paper) but there are other factors we can't account for.
Gotta get wins early, just like last year. Seeing Darton, Tisdale, Simmons getting snaps early in the season is going to be brutal.

One of these things, is not like the others...

Linton - eat a sammich!!! Or ten!!

He's basically built like Eli Hughes - which is awesome for a SG or SF, not so much for a DE.

We desperately need a Goode, experienced DT with beef to add to this roster.
Maybe even 2 DT's.

At least all the young'uns have pretty decent size to build on.
First of all, thank you to GoSU96 for the depth charts, great job.

Then I saw Comstock's comment on Linton and I agree and think he's got a point. The DLine has, IMO, been on the light side, weight wise, for years. In comparison, we play Clemson and their DLine are full of monsters so I decided to do some research into Height and Weight.

Most SU football players are hopeful that they'll be good enough to declare for the NFL draft, get invited to the Combine, or show their skills at our Pro Day every year. Some have worked like hell to develop in physical stature as well as natural playing talent and skills at their respective positions.

So, I did a little research and found the following project used as a base line averaging the NFL players by position by Height and Weight.

First, I found these points:

WR's have the largest range of height of any position
OL are the tallest
RB's the shortest

RESULTS by POSITION

• QB- Avg. Height: 75.43 (6' 3 1/2") in Avg. Weight: 224.97 lbs

• RB- Avg. Height: 70.73 (5' 10") in Avg. Weight: 214.48 lbs

• WR- Avg. Height: 72.40 (6' 1") in Avg. Weight: 200.32 lbs

• TE- Avg. Height: 76.54 (6' 4") in Avg. Weight: 254.26 lbs

• FB- Avg. Height: 72.33 ( 6' +) in Avg. Weight: 244.43 lbs

• OL- Avg. Height: 76.75 (6' 4") in Avg. Weight: 314.16 lbs

• DB- Avg. Height: 71.69 (5' 11 1/2") in Avg. Weight: 200.10 lbs

• LB- Avg. Height: 74.04 (6' 2") in Avg. Weight: 244.64 lbs

• DE- Avg. Height: 75.82 (6' 3"+) in Avg. Weight: 278.99 lbs

• ***>>DT- Avg. Height: 75.22 (6' 3") in Avg. Weight: 308.97 lbs<<***

• K- Avg. Height: 72.19 (6'+) in Avg. Weight: 202.58 lbs

• P- Avg. Height: 73.77 ( 6' 1") in Avg. Weight: 214.32 lbs

• LS- Avg. Height: 74.48 ( 6' 2"+) in Avg. Weight: 243.76 lbs

The average size of an NFL player is about 6’2” 245 lbs.

When you compare the HT & WT of our DL with the NFL average there is quite a disparity.

To quote Comstock the DLine, not only Hinton, need to eat their sammich's or ten and get into the weight room.

They still have to know what they are doing. They will lose games because of missed assignments as well. One player can mess up a whole unit if they are consistently out of position. The staff is not purposely holding the better athletes back from playing. Coley is one of the slowest DB's they have but you rather have him out there?

Once upon a time Coley had a reputation for speed but injuries take their toll.

Yep. He hasnt fully recovered from his injury.
I don't remember exactly what the injury was. So in the Fall he will be 2 years since the injury occurred. He's put a lot of time and energy in. It would be great if he was fully recovered and at full speed back by then for his final year on the hill.

No, Coley is not a sexy player, but he at least has some size. My 3 safeties starters would be Carter, Oliver, Clark. Folk and Barron in the rotation, for a 2 deep. Like Simmons and Smurf, but special teams or "break in case of emergency only." Starting Game 1 for Louisville. Gotta have that win.

Folk, Foster and Oliver need to work on positioning and reading the game. They are all extremely physically capable but need to put it together on the field.

Spring game was a wake up call for Foster and Oliver. Couple of long TDs Foster got beat like he stole something and Oliver was a step slow over the top to stop it. I don't think Oliver specifically is a step slow, on the contrary. That man is fast but still needs to learn our defense. Clemson 7th year walk on WRs will chew up what we saw from D2 on Friday and throw at them every time they're on the field.

Folk, Foster and Oliver need to work on positioning and reading the game. They are all extremely physically capable but need to put it together on the field.

Spring game was a wake up call for Foster and Oliver. Couple of long TDs Foster got beat like he stole something and Oliver was a step slow over the top to stop it. I don't think Oliver specifically is a step slow, on the contrary. That man is fast but still needs to learn our defense. Clemson 7th year walk on WRs will chew up what we saw from D2 on Friday and throw at them every time they're on the field.
Yeah, Foster is a different beast; true freshman. Nice thing about Oliver, Clark, and hopefully Johnson, is they all have varying degrees of college experience. As for me, give me talented athletes that can make up for mental mistakes on the field, rather than players that know what to do, but can't physically do it versus ACC level competition.

Yeah, Foster is a different beast; true freshman. Nice thing about Oliver, Clark, and hopefully Johnson, is they all have varying degrees of college experience. As for me, give me talented athletes that can make up for mental mistakes on the field, rather than players that know what to do, but can't physically do it versus ACC level competition.

Ehhh, I'm the opposite. Give me 4.6 guys that know position and assignments. You're not going to out athlete most of the ACC. Big East maybe but every skill player at Clemson, FSU, etc runs a 4.4. Your 4.4 isn't catching them from a step behind

Ehhh, I'm the opposite. Give me 4.6 guys that know position and assignments. You're not going to out athlete most of the ACC. Big East maybe but every skill player at Clemson, FSU, etc runs a 4.4. Your 4.4 isn't catching them from a step behind
Well; for what it's worth, I think you will get your way, because I think the coaches are in your boat. As for me, give me the kid with a higher talent ceiling.

Well; for what it's worth, I think you will get your way, because I think the coaches are in your boat. As for me, give me the kid with a higher talent ceiling.
So you are saying the coaches are putting all their efforts into recruiting these players just to sit them in favor of less athletic players?

Depends on competition. Vs Wagner is something different. I'd rather have a 6'7 PF that can box out and grab boards vs a 7'0 PF that "got as many rebounds as a dead guy".

So you are saying the coaches are putting all their efforts into recruiting these players just to sit them in favor of less athletic players?
No, I'm saying we need to get the athletes out there Game 1. Of course, eventually talent will win out. But, that won't help us get to a bowl next year if that happens in Game 6. Louisville is a must win imo, as is one of Purdue or Virginia.

On my team; no way Oliver and Clark don't start Game 1. No way Tisdale comes in before Cruz. No way Darton sees any defensive snaps.

No, I'm saying we need to get the athletes out there Game 1. Of course, eventually talent will win out. But, that won't help us get to a bowl next year if that happens in Game 6. Louisville is a must win imo, as is one of Purdue or Virginia.

On my team; no way Oliver and Clark don't start Game 1. No way Tisdale comes in before Cruz. No way Darton sees any defensive snaps.
So the coaches are sitting the better players early in the season just to surprise teams later on. Their strategy is to lose early than play the better players later. Gotcha

So the coaches are sitting the better players early in the season just to surprise teams later on. Their strategy is to lose early than play the better players later. Gotcha
Dino is too loyal to older kids. DeVito ring a bell? Sharod Johnson saw the field more than anyone can explain to me.

What is the best way to wind up with 4.4 guys who know their position and assignments?

Dino is too loyal to older kids. DeVito ring a bell? Sharod Johnson saw the field more than anyone can explain to me.
The same kid he benched as a 3 year starter. That demostrates loyalty? Sharod barely played in his 5 years at Cuse. Not sure what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Darton is absolutely going to see defensive snaps. He is game ready. Is he a starter? No. Does he he know what you need to do to contribute in the acc? Yep. He did it last year. He’s physically developed. We will need him to play.

Darton is absolutely going to see defensive snaps. He is game ready. Is he a starter? No. Does he he know what you need to do to contribute in the acc? Yep. He did it last year. He’s physically developed. We will need him to play.
Agree to disagree. I would rather move Okechukwu inside, or go with Wright or Cundiff, if Lockett has to come out. And if we, God forbid, don't bring in another DT. Both Darton and Harper were easily handled by 1 opposing O-Lineman on the majority of their snaps, imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom