Postgame Thoughts… Duke | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Duke

I’ve lost the thread on Joe, above. Relatively, on this team. He needs to play. Now, I would argue and have argued that Sy should start with Joe off the ball. Buddy to the three. Take your pick at the 4, I’d go Swider, then Jesse.

Reason being is that our D is so bad, let’s try to improve the offense just a bit more and have a more competent ball handler.

Joe is really good making the pass out of screening action and looks for Jesse.

In the bigger picture? We need to level up across the board with talent. Joe and Buddy are the worst defensive backcourt I’ve ever seen here. Our 1-4 might be the worst 1-4 ever, cumulatively.

The strategy where the Boeheims get the most shots isn’t great, as we can all see.

Is Joe good? Eh. He needs to play on this team. His PER is third, he’s crushing TS% and eFG% on this team outside of Jesse I think. His BPM is second.

DBPM he’s at 0.0 before this game. The Boeheims are -0.8. Cole at 0.2. Sy’s was bad, can’t remember it. Benny is at 0.3.

Remember, the culpability for this situation lies not with Joe, but with JB. Our offense runs through his sons. Jesse is the only thing saving us on defense.

Joe has to play, just wish he was our 2G, not PG.

It started with we missed some shots. Gotta make shots. We had makeable shots. Every team in the ACC is strong, all of them, very strong. Pitt and Clemson are very strong. Big muscles. Their strength had no impact. We just missed shots. Pretty good team this year (us???). We struggled. We don't normally struggle. Struggling isn't our thing. Finishing strong is on the agenda. We're strong. Strong team.

Jimmy had some go in and out. Normally our offense is great - we needed to make shots. Coach K is awesome. Good friend. Really good friend.
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts.

No issues with Julie doing the interview, which was certainly planned pre game. But it did kind of reveal the man behind the curtain….
i dont understand what issue people have with her interview...two sons and her husband were playing in the game...and she was honest...of course she wishes the record of the team was better

what am i missing here?

i dont understand what issue people have with her interview...two sons and her husband were playing in the game...and she was honest...of course she wishes the record of the team was better

what am i missing here?
You can blame individual players and coaching, there is certainly reason for this, but an even bigger problem is overall the whole team lacks hustle and grit.
No one runs the court. There is way too much standing around without purposeful offensive movement. Loose balls and rebounds are not gone after quickly and with enthusiasm. Basically a lazy basketball team.

You can blame individual players and coaching, there is certainly reason for this, but an even bigger problem is overall the whole team lacks hustle and grit.
No one runs the court. There is way too much standing around without purposeful offensive movement. Loose balls and rebounds are not gone after quickly and with enthusiasm. Basically a lazy basketball team.
Certain players are allowed to pout and not hustle. But since they never get pulled there’s no consequences. Add in the fact no one was making shots on top of a losing season.

Good shooting today.

Symir played very well. Jesse did too, all things considered. Play of the game was the behind the back pass to Jimmy.

#2 was Ajak “the enforcer” to Girard for the and 1!

We cut it to 16-15. That was cool.

Not really much else to say about the game, but why did we have 4 starters on the floor to end the game? Just really odd.

Also- the mid second half interview with Juli was weird imo. Just such a strange time for it. Tough spot.

I think we were -11 during her interview.

Well, Joe had a couple stretches, and Cole hit a couple, but you can't expect to hang in games when you shoot about 4-24 from 3. Eventually, the misses get you down, and then you give up a shot, and then another. Sometimes games get away from you.

OK, so let's take inventory. He played the bench. Symir was pretty good. He's reminding me a bit of Eddie Moss, except he doesn't have the confidence to finish on the break that well, at least not yet.

Benny got some real time - 8 or 10 minutes in the 2nd half, and we lost a lot of ground to Duke at that point. Jimmy is having a tough time, but for goodness sake, he has to make foul shots. This is turning into a head thing.

Frank and Sidibe played OK. And Ajok, too. I'm glad they all got real time against real opposition. Jesse had some very good moments, but we are overmatched inside. Not much else to say.

When we all shoot this poorly it's really hard to hang around in games.

Guys….. centerfolds in Boston….

CMONNNNNN

CUSE fouled Duke 6 times...The intensity, hustle and athleticism ...how did we ever lose 10 games?

jb needs to bench his sons
In favor of who? They shouldn't be playing as many minutes as they are but benching them isn't the answer. The primary problem for this team is what has occurred in the off season and previous off seasons... recruiting. And that can't be rectified midseason.

JB's kids would be just fine if they weren't being asked to be the stars. Put MCW and Billy Owens on this team and they're just fine. Buddy could be the spot up shooter that doesn't draw the opponent's best perimeter defender all game that he should be. Jimmy could be the garbage guy that can finish inside and hit open outside shots while giving the ball up to one of the stars when defended well.

One of the problems we have is that it doesn't look like this is changing anytime soon. The other is that it doesn't seem like JB recognizes the need for it to change.

Well mom pretty much said wins and losses don’t matter because this season is bringing them joy.
What else is she going to say? This team sucks and my kids are trash? Of course not. She’s being put on the spot, on national television asked about her freaking children. But you’re right, she shouldn’t have talked about how she enjoys watching both of her kids play for their father.

Jesus some of you are so out of touch with reality it’s sad.

When Buddy, Joe and Cole go 3/25 from 3, we aren’t going to win a game especially against a Duke. And many of them were open shots.
I wouldn't expect them to miss that many open shots again, but anyone that has played basketball knows not all open shots are created equally. When you're defended tightly and forced into tough shots early it can throw off your rhythm and make the easy shots tough the rest of the game. You start rushing things and feeling like a defender is coming even when they're not. Or you start trying to correct your shot and over thinking instead of just letting it fly.

Part of the problem with our guys is that they can't make defenders pay for getting up in their grill by driving by them or find a way to get easy shots to get their rhythm back.

Last edited:
What else is she going to say? This team sucks and my kids are trash? Of course not. She’s being put on the spot, on national television asked about her freaking children. But you’re right, she shouldn’t have talked about how she enjoys watching both of her kids play for their father.

Jesus some of you are so out of touch with reality it’s sad.

Honestly, as some others have alluded, she should've diplomatically declined the interview. IMO she was in a no win situation and the timing of Hollie's interview couldn't have been worse. Hey, let's interview mom while her husband and sons are getting embarrassed on national TV down by 30. Moreover, SU/JB in the midst of its worse season in decades, all the while her immediate family's on court deficiencies playing a significant role in this monumental disaster.

I actually was a bit uncomfortable for her, watching her graciously and honestly answering Hollie's questions, realizing the broader scope and the horrid perception painted for many others who also bleed Orange, but aren't Boeheim's.

No team in the country was going in to Cameron and getting a win yesterday after Duke lost in OT by 1 point at Miami the game before.

No team in the country was going in to Cameron and getting a win yesterday after Duke lost in OT by 1 point at Miami the game before.
Lots of teams wouldn’t have gotten blown out from the minute the game started though.

Blowout losses are not acceptable at Syracuse. To anybody. I don’t care how much some of you try to lower the bar. Most of us aren’t having it.

Lots of teams wouldn’t have gotten blown out from the minute the game started though.

Blowout losses are not acceptable at Syracuse. To anybody. I don’t care how much some of you try to lower the bar. Most of us aren’t having it.
The entire team was ice cold shooting the ball. It happens.

How many seasons have we had where we didn’t get blown out at least once? Heck, the great UNC has been blown out their last two games by 28 and 22. Is it acceptable to them? It happens.

The entire team was ice cold shooting the ball. It happens.

Yes, it happens.

And, you can bet more times than not, when a team is one dimensional, doesn't have shot creators, and has to work like there's no tomorrow just to get open looks, etc. cold shooting will typically ensue. One, as JB also loves to do, can dismiss it as simply, "gotta hit shots" or one can choose to see that the symptoms of such are much deeper rooted.

We’ve had plennnnty of blowout losses before.

And not even to pretty good, ranked teams like Duke on the road.

Among the notable awful blowout L’s JB has taken, and with MUCH more talented Cuse teams, against MUCH worse opponents:
DePaul.
Seton Hall.
St Johns.
G-Town.

This Duke L doesn’t even rate as a bad L, compared to those and more.

How many seasons have we had where we didn’t get blown out at least once? Heck, the great UNC has been blown out their last two games by 28 and 22. Is it acceptable to them? It happens.
From Pearl to 2014, I’d bet there were quite a few seasons where we weren’t down by 25-30 until the other team called off the dogs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom