Postgame Thoughts… Duke | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Duke

Watching our guards on defense is just infuriating, although I shouldn’t be surprised at this point. Today they kept falling back to guard the foul line despite the fact Duke sent a forward to that spot roughly 5% of the time. At least they got to see a bunch of pretty treys from that angle.

Except he’s been the 2nd best all around player this year according to BPM advanced stats.
Limited competition from the other starters partially explains that.

But what do you think of him as a PG? Does he facilitate well for others? Can he drive and dish? Can he beat his man off the dribble? How is his overall floor game? I think the answer is pretty much negative on all counts. On the defensive end he and Buddy are the weakest duo I have ever seen at SU in terms of defense at the top of the zone. By a mile. Several teams have guards that average 4-6 rebounds a game. Not these two.

We only have 8 players.
We are 9-10 as a team.

So what is your point.
The roster management is so bad it makes the numbers for a player like Joe who is playing out of position appear better.
Joe is a nice player who shouldn’t be playing PG 30+ MPG.
He would be great as a SG.

What’s my point? I responded to a specific post in a string of posts about Joe starting. Your post didn’t respond to mine.

The starting lineup has just such a massive athleticism deficit. I’d take Buddy back and build around him with athletes who can either shoot or drive. but Cole and Jimmy are just way too slow and unathletic to be the starting forwards if we want to have a halfway decent defense. I have no idea why JB thought this would work.
Spot on. Its the same general player x 4. Offensively Buddy, Jimmy, Cole and JG3 are all below average P5 athletes, slow footed (JG3 might not fall into this category) , are average to poor ball handlers and can't create any separation. They are all good to great shooters, much better then their averages indicate, but it doesn't matter because they can't get the separation and/or consistent 'good looks' due to these weakness. You just can't have 4 of those players on the floor at the same time. Its like having 4 Marius Janulis's of various heights one the floor at the same time. Marius was great in his role on that team, but if he had to create offense everytime in the half court set, it wouldnt have been good.
Defensively its even worse. In a day and age where everyone can shoot the 3 you need an athletic, long, active zone to have a shot to be successful. This team is almost the exact opposite of that. Whats most concerning is that JB knows this. I can't imagine going into the year he didn't see this.

But what do you think of him as a PG? Does he facilitate well for others? Can he drive and dish? Can he beat his man off the dribble? How is his overall floor game? I think the answer is pretty much negative on all counts. On the defensive end he and Buddy are the weakest duo I have ever seen at SU in terms of defense at the top of the zone. By a mile. Several teams have guards that average 4-6 rebounds a game. Not these two.

He’s ok as a PG. Better as a 2g. But his BPM is 2nd best on the team. And his OBPM and DBPM are both better than Sy for the season.

My son summed up his game in games like this perfectly. He passes only to get out of trouble and to get the ball back himself for a shot. He hasn’t been like that most of this year, but we definitely saw a regression to last years Joe today

wonder why we didn’t bring in anyone to compete with him for the starting PG spot. Well never know I guess

They’re not “terrible” at all, but not elite. 26th rated in KenPom. Which is solid. It’s important to look at facts, not just make hyperbolic assertions.
Duke doesn’t maintain defensive intensity. If they do, they can beat anyone.

He’s ok as a PG. Better as a 2g. But his BPM is 2nd best on the team. And his OBPM and DBPM are both better than Sy for the season.
Having a competent PG is important. You, even as a defender of JG, admit that he is just ok as a PG. Sy shows signs of being able to do the things you essentially admit Girard is unable to do. To my eyes Sy looks like a much more capable defender. Although that ain't saying much. And yet Sy gets limited PT.

Last edited:
wonder why we didn’t bring in anyone to compete with him for the starting PG spot. Well never know I guess
This is an epic sheet show. Hopefully we don't have to endure this next year.

Duke doesn’t maintain defensive intensity. If they do, they can beat anyone.
Banchero is excellent and they have several talented players. But they play in a very weak league that will leave them poorly prepared to play in the NCAAT imo.

Banchero is excellent and they have several talented players. But they play in a very weak league that will leave them poorly prepared to play in the NCAAT imo.
Their noncon was pretty good.

Their noncon was pretty good.
Def agree with that but for the 2-1/2 months prior to the NCAAT they will see a lot of mediocrity. Just my observation but generally speaking teams from strong conferences benefit from night in, night out tough competition in getting ready for the tournament. That's why I knew Baylor would thrash Gonzaga - Shout out to my man 690. :)

I’ll say it… Joe is actually much better compared to what I expected after he signed on to play at high level D1. I always thought he’d be the fourth guard here. A solid, rotational guy as an upperclassmen. Roster issues etc led to him being tossed in to the fire as a freshman and here we are.

This post-game thread appears illustrate the saga has taken a sad turn.
Gallows humor and resignation posts starting to displace the angry, hand-wringing, wailing, What posts.

Some funny stuff posted, but the program becoming a joke is not funny at all.

This once proud program is rapidly losing the fanbase -only Q left is how low SU may go.

Along with what/WHO is going to stop this depressing trend, and when.

I’ll say it… Joe is actually much better compared to what I expected after he signed on to play at high level D1. I always thought he’d be the fourth guard here. A solid, rotational guy as an upperclassmen. Roster issues etc led to him being tossed in to the fire as a freshman and here we are.
I like Joe a lot. He is just out of position.
He would be good as a weapon not a piece that needed to be relied upon.
Aka Andy Rautins role just not the same type of player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom