Postgame Thoughts… Duke | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Duke

that-escalated-quickly-300x300.jpg

Did not expect to win but missing all those open looks in the 1st half did us in. Not much to say. we have to win 9 of next 12 to have an NCAA Shot. Possible. Go CUSE.

I’d rather play someone interested in defense and team offense. Watching buddy just isn’t fun.

But you’re last statement is what I’ve been thinking about since the end of the game. There’s no chance he thought this team would actually be competitive, right?
He def thought they’d be competitive. He thought our athleticism deficit wouldn’t be this stark. He probably thought they’d play smarter to make up for it and that the height would help. So many people on here had their serious doubts, of course. His roster construction has been so bad for awhile now, it’s not surprising he missed the mark again. I think he’s struggling to evaluate what works in the modern game—and to attract the players he needs to succeed. He decided teams today need multiple 3 point shooters, which is correct, but we completely abandoned the athleticism component.

Last edited:
Huh. Just finished watching the press conference. I didn't feel like this while watching the game, but now I do feel like we were really close to winning that game. LGO!!!! We can still win the ACC!

Huh. Just finished watching the press conference. I didn't feel like this while watching the game, but now I do feel like we were really close to winning that game. LGO!!!! We can still win the ACC!
Cliff notes summary please.

Ok... Orange followers who drank the pre-season Kool-Aid ... today we bared witness to how far we've fallen. Duke is a really good team but no way should a Syracuse team get beat down like we did today.

Cliff notes summary please.

It started with we missed some shots. Gotta make shots. We had makeable shots. Every team in the ACC is strong, all of them, very strong. Pitt and Clemson are very strong. Big muscles. Their strength had no impact. We just missed shots. Pretty good team this year (us???). We struggled. We don't normally struggle. Struggling isn't our thing. Finishing strong is on the agenda. We're strong. Strong team.

Jimmy had some go in and out. Normally our offense is great - we needed to make shots. Coach K is awesome. Good friend. Really good friend.

Last edited:
Some times it's hard for a father to realistically appraise their son's talents. I'm sure many of us have witnessed dads coach their sons where the dad wildly overrates their kid's ability. Just because JB is coaching at a much higher level doesn't make him immune from this blind spot.
Agree, but JB is a professional coach who’s in the hall of fame - not a Wegman’s employee.

He’s ok as a PG. Better as a 2g. But his BPM is 2nd best on the team. And his OBPM and DBPM are both better than Sy for the season.
I watch the games and so do you.

You keep quoting that Joe's DBPM is better than Symir, but you also said the other day you cannot explain how it it calculated. Last year Coach B ripped people who were relying on advanced defensive stats because, the coach said, the stat guys do not know who has what responsibility for what in the SU zone for defense. On this one, I side with the coach who says things. The stats guys have Joe ahead by an amount that may not even be statistically relevant, but they also say they are both not good.

My eyes say Symir is better than Joe -- I am not saying great and I am not saying good just better than Joe.

Just curious, what do your eyes say to you?

Ok... Orange followers who drank the pre-season Kool-Aid ... today we bared witness to how far we've fallen. Duke is a really good team but no way should a Syracuse team get beat down like we did today.
Would have been worse if K hadn’t taken his foot off the pedal because of his friendship with JB.

Oh well, can't win them all.

Hopefully the kids had fun.

The good news is, with the nooner start, I've got a good rest of the afternoon planned... Home Depot... Trader Joe's... Bed, Bath, and Beyond... Dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.

Don't know if we'll have enough time...
Frank the Tank, how long until you’re running naked through the quad?

Not having a competent PG is a problem.

Yet, if you look at our track record of late, we clearly think it's the solution. We'll see which ends up being right eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom