Postgame Thoughts… Duke | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Duke

Yes, it happens.

And, you can bet more times than not, when a team is one dimensional, doesn't have shot creators, and has to work like there's no tomorrow just to get open looks, etc. cold shooting will typically ensue. One, as JB also loves to do, can dismiss it as simply, "gotta hit shots" or one can choose to see that the symptoms of such are much deeper rooted.
That's somewhat true. I just think that the psychology that a team has going into a no win situation could result in a total breakdown of shooting or any other of the teams strengths.

We’ve had plennnnty of blowout losses before.

And not even to pretty good, ranked teams like Duke on the road.

Among the notable awful blowout L’s JB has taken, and with MUCH more talented Cuse teams, against MUCH worse opponents:
DePaul.
Seton Hall.
St Johns.
G-Town.

This Duke L doesn’t even rate as a bad L, compared to those and more.
We remember the flukes and awful no shows: because there weren’t a lot of them. Though we kinda stunk the year that DePaul hammered us.

We stink now and being down 25 to a good team is just “oh well.” Nobody even freaks out anymore. The bar is so low. The next guy has it easy here, now.

From Pearl to 2014, I’d bet there were quite a few seasons where we weren’t down by 25-30 until the other team called off the dogs.

Why are you now narrowing it down? Your post didn’t say that timeframe. But anyways, DePaul. 2006.

Why are you now narrowing it down? Your post didn’t say that timeframe. But anyways, DePaul. 2096.
Because I’m talking about the 30 years when we were pretty much always good and often great and could beat anybody and were expected to compete with everybody.

That is the standard that was set and that is what Syracuse basketball should be. IMO.

The constant lowering of the bar the last 8 years needs to have run it’s course. Enough is enough.

Honestly, as some others have alluded, she should've diplomatically declined the interview. IMO she was in a no win situation and the timing of Hollie's interview couldn't have been worse. Hey, let's interview mom while her husband and sons are getting embarrassed on national TV down by 30. Moreover, SU/JB in the midst of its worse season in decades, all the while her immediate family's on court deficiencies playing a significant role in this monumental disaster.

I actually was a bit uncomfortable for her, watching her graciously and honestly answering Hollie's questions, realizing the broader scope and the horrid perception painted for many others who also bleed Orange, but aren't Boeheim's.
You don’t deny interviews you already agreed to. Not to mention she and Jim have a foundation that always needs PR and having their name out there is important. Once again, reality flys over the heads of sports fans because they think sports is all these people do…

Because I’m talking about the 30 years when we were pretty much always good and often great and could beat anybody and were expected to compete with everybody.

That is the standard that was set and that is what Syracuse basketball should be. IMO.

The constant lowering of the bar the last 8 years needs to have run it’s course. Enough is enough.

Well I was responding to the below. Blowouts happen regardless of what kind of season you’re having.

“Blowout losses are not acceptable at Syracuse. To anybody. I don’t care how much some of you try to lower the bar. Most of us aren’t having it.”

You don’t deny interviews you already agreed to. Not to mention she and Jim have a foundation that always needs PR and having their name out there is important. Once again, reality flys over the heads of sports fans because they think sports is all these people do…

Reasonable people can disagree.

Again, I would've diplomatically denied the initial request. Jim & Julie's foundation is already well known as it has received plenty of attention, PR, etc. in the past. Good PR is also having the prowess to have solid situational awareness, time & place, etc. IMO, it was incredibly poor timing all the way around.

Reasonable people can disagree.

Again, I would've diplomatically denied the initial request. Jim & Julie's foundation is already well known as it has received plenty of attention, PR, etc. in the past. Good PR is also having the prowess to have solid situational awareness, time & place, etc. IMO, it was incredibly poor timing all the way around.
Situational awareness? The game has nothing to do with the foundation, and the interview wasnt for Duke or Syracuse fans anyhow, it was for the everyday ESPN watcher who sees a cool family story and wants to learn more.

As you said though, we can agree to disagree.

Honestly, as some others have alluded, she should've diplomatically declined the interview. IMO she was in a no win situation and the timing of Hollie's interview couldn't have been worse. Hey, let's interview mom while her husband and sons are getting embarrassed on national TV down by 30. Moreover, SU/JB in the midst of its worse season in decades, all the while her immediate family's on court deficiencies playing a significant role in this monumental disaster.

I actually was a bit uncomfortable for her, watching her graciously and honestly answering Hollie's questions, realizing the broader scope and the horrid perception painted for many others who also bleed Orange, but aren't Boeheim's.
I’m 100 percent certain she agreed to the interview before the game. That’s how those things work. She’s not going to backtrack on Holly just because we’re losing so bad. She said it was her first time in Cameron! (Surprised she hasn’t been to any of our previous games there.) People have seriously lost their damn minds if they’re getting mad at Juli Boeheim. Insanity.

Last edited:
My problem with the interview was timing. We were down like 25 at the time. Not a time for warm fuzzy or smiling.
See my previous post. Those interviews are lined up before the game.

Last edited:

You know how we watch the CFP and Syracuse football is playing a different sport. I watched the 2nd half of UK/Auburn yesterday and got that same feeling about SU hoops.

You know how we watch the CFP and Syracuse football is playing a different sport. I watched the 2nd half of UK/Auburn yesterday and got that same feeling about SU hoops.

I mean, I felt that in our game just watching Duke. And that’s without Keels.

I wish they had done it pre-game.

The likelihood that game was going to be competitive was low.

It was a confluence of stuff that just didn’t come off great when put all at once.

In the grand scheme of things, it’s a nothing burger.

Eh….it’s a television production. These interviews are scheduled in advance.
That doesn't change the fact that the timing of it ended up being unfortunate. Could've scheduled it last week that doesn't change anything. I didn't say she shouldn't have done it, didn't say ESPN shouldn't have done it.

I’m 100 percent certain she agreed to the interview before the game. That’s how those things work. She’s not going to backtrack on Holly just because we’re losing so bad. She said it was her first time in Cameron! (Surprised she hasn’t been to any of our previous games there.) People have seriously lost their damn minds if they’re getting mad at Juli Boeheim. Insanity.
She was probably as uncomfortable doing it as we were watching it.

That doesn't change the fact that the timing of it ended up being unfortunate. Could've scheduled it last week that doesn't change anything. I didn't say she shouldn't have done it, didn't say ESPN shouldn't have done it.
I'm sure it was timed to maximize exposure. JB vs K, national audience, human interest story, one HOF retiring the other should...

Personally, I have zero problems with the timing, the interview, or what Juli said. Mountain vs less than mole hill.

It’s interesting what some folks seemingly will choose to focus on. The focus and/or rebuttals shouldn’t be about back tracking, keeping her good word, etc., but the broader picture and agreeing to do such an interview in the first place.

When did she agree to the interview? Hours before? Days? A week? A couple of weeks? Point being, the tone, pulse, beat, etc. of the the program’s state has been out there for some time. I would say, also with absolute certainty, that that sentiment preexisted considerably in relation to the interview commitment time frame.

The subject interview (2nd half, being down 25 points or whatever it was) is secondary and consequential to the broader scope, the aforementioned dubious state of the program. And, this unfavorable/uncharted state resulting, in large, with 3 of her immediate family playing rather significant roles in that.

That reality, as well as the perception it undoubtedly portrayed, made the interview, IMO, a no win situation.

Last edited:
It’s interesting what some folks seemingly will choose to focus on. The focus and/or rebuttals shouldn’t be about back tracking, keeping her good word, etc., but the broader picture and agreeing to do such an interview in the first place.

When did she agree to the interview? Hours before? Days? A week? A couple of weeks? Point being, the tone, pulse, beat, etc. of the the program’s state has been out there for some time. I would say, also with absolute certainty, that that sentiment preexisted considerably in relation to the interview commitment time frame.

The subject interview (2nd half, being down 25 points or whatever it was) is secondary and consequential to the broader scope, the aforementioned dubious state of the program. And, this unfavorable/uncharted state resulting, in large, with 3 of her immediate family playing rather significant roles in that.

That reality, as well as the perception it undoubtedly portrayed, made the interview, IMO, a no win situation.
Talk about making mountains out of molehills

On this team Symir is absolutely a starter.

Why and for who? Even yesterday Sy graded lower than Joe on defense. In fact Joe graded 2nd behind Jesse.

Why and for who? Even yesterday Sy graded lower than Joe on defense. In fact Joe graded 2nd behind Jesse.
I think Girard might be our 2nd best player this year after Jesse. Either he or Buddy.

the team has

1 PG - symir
2 SG - Joe and Buddy
4 forwards - jimmy, cole, benny, ajak
3 center - jesse, frank, sid

the starting lineup should be

PG, SG, F, F, C

i know *gasp* that would mean joe AND Buddy cant both be starters but the team needs to have a PG

i know *gasp* symir isnt the best player on the team...but he is the only point guard and point guard is a kinda important and necessary position on a BASKETBALL TEAM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom