Postgame Thoughts… FSU | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… FSU

He didn't play long enough to do anything. I bet he shoots before than 1 for 9 from 3 tonight.
Shooters are going to keep shooting and you gotta hope eventually they start to fall. Of course they take him out if you know he is going to keep missing.

Y’all keep saying Judah played poorly then bounced back. Not true, he simply picked it up second half and down the stretch. If he comes out looking for his shot he comes under criticism, or if he passes the ball a lot, he’s not aggressive enough, he’s gotta help Joe and Jesse on the of offensive end. ‍♂️ The kid has a lot to do for this team. Appreciate it already!
He had two points in the first half and then he had a great second half. My post was a compliment to Judah. I'm guessing maybe you're related to him. I'm very appreciative of what he's done for this team.

Jim was great. He really is a brilliant coach. It was good to see him do so well tonight. Im happy for him, the team, Admins and his family.
Well done coach.
He was brilliant in letting Leonard Hamilton demonstrate how to totally not coach a basketball game.

A Few Thoughts...

1. Game was won because we turned around the rebounding. Joe was a beast off the glass and Chris solid as well.

2. Guard play was outstanding - Joe was amazing all game long and Judah taking over the second half.

3. OK - everybody was ready to anoint Taylor as THE SF after the previous game. I stood up and said it is a question of Jimmy going with the hot hand between Bell and him and nobody agreed. Anybody disagreeing now ????? Or will Chris now be the anointed one ????

4. Kudos to Jesse for turning it around and dominating the middle in the second half after a very rocky first half to the game.

5. Guards need to go to Brown more. He only had two shots, but there were three or four times he had pinned his man solidly and only needed a ball that wasnt delivered.

6. We need to get Sherm back to Coach the alley-oop pass. A lot of slop on those plays.

It looked like at least early Brown was missed on a few wide open rolls to the basket.

Really great start. Then the next 20-25’ were absolutely brutal. Then a solid close.

Girard led the scoring in the first and played very well, and then Judah really stepped up and played great down the stretch in the 2nd.

Jesse was…. off in the first half. It’s really odd at times. Glad he got it together.

Bell was totally off tonight, but good effort on the glass.

Thought Benny played well in his minutes. Missed some shots but was active. Fine with the minutes he got in place of Taylor and Brown.

This FSU team lacks the talent many of their teams have had in the last 5 years.

All in all… bad basketball game.
Beginning to end, it was a mostly awful performance.

There was the one short stretch where we looked effective on D and efficient on O, but outside of that it was a God awful performance.

I do believe Joe fought hard consistently from beginning to end. Definitely showing some pride.

There was no offensive purpose that I could discern. Wild dribbles down the court leading to wild drives and / or clunker shots.

Jesse was God awful. He played like a 10th grader that grew 8 inches over the summer and was pulled out of a volleyball segment in PE class to come try out for the basketball team. Doesn't establish a pivot, doesn't keep the ball high, contorting his body into a pretzel to attempt awkward layups over shorter people. My lord, just learn the hook shot. On D, his area of the zone was absolutely abused. For every point he scored, 2 or 3 were scored on him. But, of course none of this shows up on the stat line and he had an awesome dunk, so yayyy Jesse I guess. He really needs to play like a big.

Nice to see Benny be active and working hard despite all that he has brought upon himself.

Good game from Maliq.

Symir was as bad as I have seen him. Instead of bringing an element of control, he was pretty wild and forcing things. His entry passes to Jesse were off target and he was doubled anyway, so why?

Not sure why Taylor is being Booheimed.

Judah was pretty wild the whole game. In the 1st half it killed us. In the 2nd half, he got some points and drew some fouls and got us back in it. Not many can do what Judah does, athletically and competitively, so I scoff at the criticism towards him. Also, not sure what Boeheim's plan on O was last night, thus not sure what role Judah was supposed to play in it. He was wild and out of control, but ultimately heroic.

The opponent was bad, really bad. If they could shoot even a lick, they get up on us. They were terrible, but so were we, so they stayed in it and for a while had control of the game. What a sinking feeling to experience that late in a game against an 8 win team.

We won, but did not look like a team ready to make a run in the ACCT.

He missed rather badly. Wide open and not close. Chris is now 33 of 95 from three, (34.7%). Justin Taylor is 24/55 = 43.6%.
Chris takes some horrible 3's - shooters are going to shoot for sure, but shooters who take dumb shots should sit. Last night he stayed on the floor because he was engaged in other events in the game other than shooting and because Taylor looked like he wasn't into playing.

This team needs to do some drills lobbing the ball inside. They tend to just throw and hope sometimes. Just have Hima front Jesse in the post and have teammates flash to the foul line or wing and lob over the defense. You have to get just the right height for Jesse to get the ball and Jesse can’t release until the ball is directly over his head or he will get called for pushing off. They should spend time every day doing these drills. Five minutes a day can make a huge difference and it tells players it’s a priority. The little things matter. We probably lost 6-8 points last night with mediocre lob passes.

I know his shot has been off the past few games, but one thing I really like about Bell is that he needs virtually no space to get his shot off as a result of his height + high release. I really hope he sticks around here for 3-4 years.

I know his shot has been off the past few games, but one thing I really like about Bell is that he needs virtually no space to get his shot off as a result of his height + high release. I really hope he sticks around here for 3-4 years.
When the light bulb goes on he's got senior year DNic or better potential. I loved that last night even when he wasn't hitting shots he was doing other little things to have an impact on the game, he's maturing.

Y’all keep saying Judah played poorly then bounced back. Not true, he simply picked it up second half and down the stretch. If he comes out looking for his shot he comes under criticism, or if he passes the ball a lot, he’s not aggressive enough, he’s gotta help Joe and Jesse on the of offensive end. ‍♂️ The kid has a lot to do for this team. Appreciate it already!
Welcome to our board Mr. Mintz. There are a few people on the board here who are hyper-critical about anything and jump on and off bandwagons constantly. A product of todays society I suppose.

99.9% of the folks on this board love and appreciate Judah. He is a fine young man, an excellent representative of the University, and undoubtedly the best guard we have had here in many, many years. He has an extremely bright future both as a ball-player and a man. We are very proud that he chose Syracuse! Just ignore the naysayers here. Most of us do.

144% THIS.

Even IF we win out, and then make it to the ACCT championship game, unless we win that, we’re not going to the NCAA’s.

Period, full stop.

We have no impressive wins, and a ton of BAD losses.

The ONLY path to making the Dance now, is to win the ACCT.
Anyone trying to convince themselves otherwise, is delusional.

And the less games in a row we need to win the ACCT, the better.
I'll go ahead and disagree with you here. I think the matchups are more important than the number of games (which I concede could increase the chance of a bad matchup), especially now that we aren't playing ironman basketball anymore and have a bit of depth.

That said, I'm still pulling for the double-bye but I'm worried about a cold start against a team that's playing in rhythm from a previous day.

this might be your opinion, but it’s not backed up by the numbers.

taylor averages more rebs per game, per 40, has better rebound %.

bell has gotten better as the season has gone on though.

He has gotten better. Since conference play began (not counting the early season ND game), Taylor has played 234 minutes and grabbed 16 boards (2.7 rebounds per 40) while Bell has played 241 minutes and grabbed 25 boards (4.1 rebounds per 40).

144% THIS.

Even IF we win out, and then make it to the ACCT championship game, unless we win that, we’re not going to the NCAA’s.

Period, full stop.

Not wanting a double-bye would be like a runner about the start a marathon and then deciding "you know what, I think I'd rather run 35 miles instead of 26.2." That seems like a good idea.

Not sure where everyone falls on this but I think JB has handled the forward situation really well. He probably should have hit the portal for a 3 but given what we have he’s gotten north of 400 mins for Taylor, brown, Benny and bell. Quadir has gotten the short end of the stick a bit but even JBA helped us win a couple early.

Brown seems to be the closest to establishing himself as the best of the bunch but he’s not so good that he’s an automatic 30+ mins guy. Think this has played out in a completely reasonable fashion but people are just upset (perhaps understandably) that no one has emerged as Guerrier or Wes johnson yet.

Seriously, right. Couple nice opportunities by the boards tonight.
Agree about the portal, but I think it wasnt hit because JB was sold that Benny would step up and I think he figured out of all the frosh that somebody would step up and take the other slot.

It really hasnt worked out terrible because Brown has pretty much taken those Benny minutes, and as you point out JB has done a pretty good job filling the other slot by committee, depending upon who is playing well or who is hot.

If we had a consistent high level Benny playing with Brown this team would be a level better.

He has gotten better. Since conference play began (not counting the early season ND game), Taylor has played 234 minutes and grabbed 16 boards (2.7 rebounds per 40) while Bell has played 241 minutes and grabbed 25 boards (4.1 rebounds per 40).

Really interesting stats and do not know this. A slight caveat is Taylor has played some 2G so a bit harder to rebound from that spot. Both are going to be good players should they stick around. JB’s message to Bell has sunk in. He needs to do the hard work in addition to providing a shooting threat. Nice to see his improvement in rebounding.

Really interesting stats and do not know this. A slight caveat is Taylor has played some 2G so a bit harder to rebound from that spot. Both are going to be good players should they stick around. JB’s message to Bell has sunk in. He needs to do the hard work in addition to providing a shooting threat. Nice to see his improvement in rebounding.

I thought that last night was the most aggressive he's been going after rebounds - he actually grabbed a couple in traffic - and it showed in the box score.

This team needs to do some drills lobbing the ball inside. They tend to just throw and hope sometimes. Just have Hima front Jesse in the post and have teammates flash to the foul line or wing and lob over the defense. You have to get just the right height for Jesse to get the ball and Jesse can’t release until the ball is directly over his head or he will get called for pushing off. They should spend time every day doing these drills. Five minutes a day can make a huge difference and it tells players it’s a priority. The little things matter. We probably lost 6-8 points last night with mediocre lob passes.

After 4 years, it's kind of remarkable that Jesse doesn't have even decent footwork in the post. As Swish said above, he doesn't seem to understand how to establish his pivot foot, and then make a quick, efficient move. He does that sometimes within about 6 feet of the basket. But if he's 10 feet away, we get all that awful back-down dribbling that he tries to do, and if he dribbles more than 3 bounces, he's going to lose the ball or travel.

Agree on Benny. Have to give the kid credit — he’s been humbled quite a bit the past two years (more or less) but is still trying to play hard and contribute. There’s something to be said for that, at least in life if not on the court.

A lot of people get frustrated with Joe at times and I get it but I really think Jesse’s awkward, rushed stretches offensively hurt us almost as much. He really should be averaging 17/18 a game. He’s been very good but his footwork down low costs him several buckets a game.

Frustrating game. Felt like we could have put that to bed so much earlier but left a ton of points on the floor.
when good benny shows up, he should play a lot more...like he did vs fsu...bell was off he shoulda been on the bench.

and jesse is flabbergasting at times...hard to fathom that his season shooting % is like 60% or so...his non-dunk shooting percent must be below 40...I think the "pressure" of being "the man" this year is something he hasnt taken to very well...he rushes and panics like he didnt in previous seasons. and his defensive awareness is chukwu level at times...on d he should just stand next to the rim and prevent dunks and not try to control the entire paint, imo...hes simply too slow and too exploitable on the high low passing to guard the rim and the free throw line the way JB wants him to

good win but shoulda been a blowout win

whats the deal with tv teddy? and his crew? does JB request him or something??? hate that crew

After 4 years, it's kind of remarkable that Jesse doesn't have even decent footwork in the post. As Swish said above, he doesn't seem to understand how to establish his pivot foot, and then make a quick, efficient move. He does that sometimes within about 6 feet of the basket. But if he's 10 feet away, we get all that awful back-down dribbling that he tries to do, and if he dribbles more than 3 bounces, he's going to lose the ball or travel.

Huh? Did you watch ANY of the BC game?
He was like Rak in that one, using baby hooks with each hand, some really sweet moves and counters, some hesitations, etc. Footwork was excellent.

Yeah, he struggled early in this one, for whatever reason. It happens.
BUT - He still finished up with a stellar box score., in spite of a mediocre 6-14 from the floor.
6/6 FT's, 3 SWATS, 2 dimes.

AND - only 3 fouls in 37 minutes.

I have a hard time understanding all the griping about a C who put up 18, 12, & 3.

144% THIS.

Period, full stop.

;):)

JT is a 2. He wasn't going to be anointed as a 3 here ever. It just is this year it's a swinging door at the SF.
I agree long term JT will probably end up as a 2, but this season he is pretty clearly getting the vast majority of his minutes as a 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom