Postgame Thoughts… GT | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… GT

Yes, honest debate, in the Miami game, it was one of the few when Williams was outplaying Maliq, and in that game, the game wasnt lost by bad forward play.
Brown barely played against Miami to make a true assessment.

I know most want to play JB and/or Judah for that loss, but all we needed were some rebounds down the stretch and we would have won by eight or more. Brown would have provided that.

At one point in that game, Williams and Brown were both on the floor, albeit not for long. I wish JB would have let that breathe a little more.

The problem with Benny is he does have those games, when he does he still doesn’t stand out and it’s there by accident and not because he did anything better than he normally does.
And it’s really just scoring. I’m not getting overly excited over five boards in 30 minutes.

It is…really bad. It certainly will be interesting to see how many teams end up making it. Virginia is likely to be the only Top 16 seed in the Dance when it’s all said and done.

I know there are many folks here who cry about how the ACC likes to screw us, etc. Well, whatever one believes, the ACC did us a great favor this year with the schedule. As you mentioned, 6 of our conference wins are against combined opponents conference records of 5-35 to date.

As bad as the conference is, this 6-3 record has at least afforded our team, especially with so many greenhorns, to build up some likely serious confidence at this point. Regardless of such embarrassing and putrid losses in the out of conference part of the schedule.
Excellent use of greenhorn.

I really wish we would just play man instead of zone. No reason our best defense should be a full court press.

I just looked at the standings, the league is crap this year. Yikes

Most of college basketball is crap. Due in large part because of the portal and NIL. Schools can’t build programs, experience playing together and team chemistry. With players constantly moving it’s just pick up.

I love the Bully Ball version of Joe Girard that has shown up the last couple of games… it’s not the exact same, but it reminds me of the mid-season adjustments that Cole Swider added last season. On balance shots with pump fakes, side/step backs to create space, slowing down/backing into the lane instead of just blow by attempts, pulling up in the lane for a midrange instead of recklessly attacking the rim, it’s been great to see!

BTW, I can’t take credit for the phrase. Someone said it in the game thread. I think it was Westboro.
It goes back to a Cali drought in the 70's, but it fits this situation
Sign me up for a T-shirt!!

I think it has to do with softer defensive, some teams are a lot more aggressive which seems to get him off his game

GT has an excellent perimeter defense. VT was beating the hell out of him. Pitt is aggressive.

This might be unpopular take but screw it...its reality and I’ve been tip toeing around it for weeks

Everyone scared that Bell or Benny will leave?

you better believe better programs are going to be poking around and trying to steal Brown...they will be using him not starting as a sign of disrespect.

this is how it works in college basketball in 2023
If there’s going to be tampering Willard will be at the front of the line.

again, hypotheticals instead of honest debate

the gripe is simple. facts. We have not had the lead in now 9 straight games by the time Bell is subbed.

to hope to reverse this, we should start our best forwards.

also, Maliq didn’t play 30 mins last game, a game we lost

Maliq’s PER, not counting today, is TEN points higher than Benny. That’s basically a different world of efficiency. After this game, I think Maliq might actually have a higher PER than Benny and Bell combined.

He gets a higher percentage of board and assists. Turns the ball over less in % measurement as well.

His BPM is in a different stratosphere.

His scoring efficiency is insanely higher.

This isn’t measuring two guys that are close and playing the hot hand. One guy is leaps and bounds better at helping our team win.

Agree 100%. I’d love Benny back if he’s cool being a role player off the bench.
A lot of Benny's problems are caused by him being forced into a role he is not suited for. Benny is a full court run and gun player being forced to play a half court game. He is confused by this and not use to playing that way.
Benny should not be forced to try and rebound but should leak out down court when the opponent shoots or turns the ball, Jesse and Brown should be your primary rebounders, Mintz should push the ball downcourt and attack the basket with Benny, against most teams this will be an effective offensive strategy for both Benny and Mintz.

A lot of Benny's problems are caused by him being forced into a role he is not suited for. Benny is a full court run and gun player being forced to play a half court game. He is confused by this and not use to playing that way.
Benny should not be forced to try and rebound but should leak out down court when the opponent shoots or turns the ball, Jesse and Brown should be your primary rebounders, Mintz should push the ball downcourt and attack the basket with Benny, against most teams this will be an effective offensive strategy for both Benny and Mintz.
Leaking out? So Less defense? Does leaking out matter if the opponent scores every possession?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom