Postgame Thoughts… Louisville | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you will see Joe starting at point with Taylor at the 2. He’ll slide over when Q subs in.

Joe is not going to get 1/3 of the good looks he gets this year without Buddy and Cole helping to spread defenders. Next year sets up horribly for Joe’s 3 pt percentage.
Jessie in the middle might give him more good looks.

I think you will see Joe starting at point with Taylor at the 2. He’ll slide over when Q subs in.

Joe is not going to get 1/3 of the good looks he gets this year without Buddy and Cole helping to spread defenders. Next year sets up horribly for Joe’s 3 pt percentage.
I highly caution anyone who expects success next year if Taylor is starting. There’s a reason we’re recruiting Mintz. Ideally, Copeland and Carey redshirt with Taylor, Bunch and Brown getting limited bench minutes.

Watched the game from a bar in Fort Worth so couldn’t play in the game thread. Watching Benny today got me thinking. I play pickup all around. Mike trimboli, who played point for UVM, played in the same games from time to time. If there was a loose ball, he was getting it, even against bigger, stronger guys (6’6” 240 big) who had played at Harvard. Just relentless. Sadly, I don’t see Benny as that kind of player, but it’s exactly what he needs to be. He’s the ultimate player who was more athletic than kids he played against, so he just doesn’t have that grit to go get it.

And that makes me sad. Like seeing a Louisville team that couldn’t do squat against the zone sad.

Also, Jesse is fantastic.

Yep. Benny has been a guy who dominated with that mid range game and playing above the rim with his athleticism.

Bad hands with a SF can be hard to scout because a player like that isn't often working with a contested catch. It's rise and fire, two quick moves and a flush or an open 3. When you are the man and you know you are unstoppable, those are falling.

So here he is and he needs to be a relentless worker on D, rebounds and using the commentators words quoting Pegues, an aggressive receiver. You snatch the pass and go up and attack.

Benny has to find a commitment to being a more physical player. If he can't use the bounce and have enough wiggle he has to use the bounce with physicality. Work on football like drills hanging on to the rock and grabbing it.

He also has to learn how to release with his fingertips on the shot. He is pushing it now and that is not what he was doing in HS/Prep. It must be a lack of confidence habit or adrenaline related. He has a lot of work to do.

As for the hustle, it's a shame he hasn't replaced using his athleticism pairing it with hustle and effort to replace the finesse elements he can't yet translate. That is a mental thing and a block that can be harder for some kids than others to break down.

I highly caution anyone who expects success next year if Taylor is starting. There’s a reason we’re recruiting Mintz. Ideally, Copeland and Carey redshirt with Taylor, Bunch and Brown getting limited bench minutes.
In other words, “pound the portal”. I’m in.

In other words, “pound the portal”. I’m in.
Give me Mintz-Girard-Edwards and find to wings who one can excel defensively and one hopefully a portal guy who could excel in ISO.

Bunch is probably our best forward freshman who could contribute.

Yeah I have a hard time seeing Taylor starting. Developmental player not immediate contributor.
I realize stats aren't everything, but some of his shooting performances have tempered my expectations also. Very excited for his development but also not expecting much from him next season.

Yep. Benny has been a guy who dominated with that mid range game and playing above the rim with his athleticism.

Bad hands with a SF can be hard to scout because a player like that isn't often working with a contested catch. It's rise and fire, two quick moves and a flush or an open 3. When you are the man and you know you are unstoppable, those are falling.

So here he is and he needs to be a relentless worker on D, rebounds and using the commentators words quoting Pegues, an aggressive receiver. You snatch the pass and go up and attack.

Benny has to find a commitment to being a more physical player. If he can't use the bounce and have enough wiggle he has to use the bounce with physicality. Work on football like drills hanging on to the rock and grabbing it.

He also has to learn how to release with his fingertips on the shot. He is pushing it now and that is not what he was doing in HS/Prep. It must be a lack of confidence habit or adrenaline related. He has a lot of work to do.

As for the hustle, it's a shame he hasn't replaced using his athleticism pairing it with hustle and effort to replace the finesse elements he can't yet translate. That is a mental thing and a block that can be harder for some kids than others to break down.

Agree. Hopefully the Woody Newton situation gives him some pause about moving on just because he's not playing much now. Transferring doesn't solve all problems and if he sticks with it he could have a jump like Jesse. He seems to realize that he has to work at his game to make himself into an effective player at this level.

Had to work but looking forward to the condensed game! Great win!!!!

Agree. Hopefully the Woody Newton situation gives him some pause about moving on just because he's not playing much now. Transferring doesn't solve all problems and if he sticks with it he could have a jump like Jesse. He seems to realize that he has to work at his game to make himself into an effective player at this level.
He seems to realize all that based on his comments a few weeks ago.

Dude, come on. I just now listened to it, and it wasn’t anything like that. Not only didn’t he use any of those words, half his answer he directed towards everyone’s opinion of Joe and not necessarily Donna.
To me, it's the fact that he didn't even let her get the question out before he went on the defensive. He does that a lot. It seemed out of place after such a good win.

Last edited:
He seems to realize all that based on his comments a few weeks ago.

Yeah, we'll see. There's clearly a value to guys sticking with the program. We can see that in their development. Hopefully Benny sees that and Boeheim hasn't burned the bridges. Like most people with a ego-related hang-ups, his words/behavior can also be self-destructive.

obviously, this was a very good win. Really needed a laugher not only for the team but I think for the fan base too. One downside however, this is the type of game that you should expect to see Benny relax, perform and be effective. The fact that he couldn’t get anything going this game makes me really concerned about his future.

Those flat shots and those fumbled plays aren’t the result of lack of confidence.
He is so awesomely consistent at missing that jumper from the elbow. Almost misses the exact same way each time, youd think that could be fixed. There really is not much about his game that makes me believe he is a good college player let alone bound to be elite. I am hoping he proves me wrong and rooting for him, but seems like an athletic high school tight end who took up basketball in college to me.

I just watched the postgame.
It’s kinda funny JB says words matter but when those words comes out of his mouth we just say JB sez things.

That was rude towards Donna. Donna should find all things JB has said and then question him on those comments.

Goodness she wasn’t disrespectful to Joe at all

If you look at the NC State and Duke games, yes.
That team either makes the Final Four or loses in the first four by 15.

They clearly had no desire to be playing in the NIT haha

So the greatest guard to ever touch a basketball?
Gillon as a 4 year guard would have been a great microwave offense guy.
He like Girard struggled defensively but he could get to hole.
He had some really frustrating games as well.

He is the type of college PG you want on your team.

Gillon as a 4 year guard would have been a great microwave offense guy.
He like Girard struggled defensively but he could get to hole.
He had some really frustrating games as well.

He is the type of college PG you want on your team.
Struggled on D but locked up Kennard and forced him into a tough shot with the game on the line. Will always remember that, before the game winning shot.

I just watched the postgame.
It’s kinda funny JB says words matter but when those words comes out of his mouth we just say JB sez things.

That was rude towards Donna. Donna should find all things JB has said and then question him on those comments.

Goodness she wasn’t disrespectful to Joe at all
Agree, after a nice win it seems petty to be rude over whether someone used the correct adjective/superlative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom