Postgame Thoughts… NC State | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… NC State

Excited to see the reactions on this board when Duke "oversells" a charge on Sat.
Personally if it was after that same Duke player got hit in the face by us without a call, I’d really just assume it was a makeup call especially if it was against the same player who then made any type of contact with him.

We did for most of the season, for some reason people still seemed unhappy with the results. Want to go back?
me? No. I want to play with the best 5. I'm not in the camp of having to play 8, 9 or 10 guys. I figured we'd see 7 but looks like things have tightened up as we get into must wins.

The hate some have for Joe is unconscionable.
First one, he got hit in the nose and/or eye. That stings and is startling. The second one, the guy sought Joe out for a forearm.
The first was incidental. The second was definitively a foul.
I don't hate Joe...he had some decent moments in the game last night. Scoring at some crucial times.

That said...
This is why I have no issues if he doesnt come back. This is game losing play. Down 3 with 2:46 left, lost the ball cleanly, complaining to the ref as the ball is on the floor. Jesse (and then Judah) bailed him out. It can't happen

1676484381723.png

I don't hate Joe...he had some decent moments in the game last night. Scoring at some crucial times.

That said...
This is why I have no issues if he doesnt come back. This is game losing play. Down 3 with 2:46 left, lost the ball cleanly, complaining to the ref as the ball is on the floor. Jesse (and then Judah) bailed him out. It can't happen

View attachment 225090

He’s only a freshman so maybe some slack can be cut although hustle shouldn’t be but Judah has done that 2-3 times this year.

He’s only a freshman so maybe some slack can be cut although hustle shouldn’t be but Judah has done that 2-3 times this year.
Ok? Does that make it better or worse that our star senior is doing it too?

and are you suggesting Judah hasn’t got heat on this board for his play specially at end of games?? I know you couldn’t be

me? No. I want to play with the best 5. I'm not in the camp of having to play 8, 9 or 10 guys. I figured we'd see 7 but looks like things have tightened up as we get into must wins.

JB hasn’t changed his philosophy at all on this through the years. He‘s always played more people at the beginning of the season and whittled it down to 8 or so by conference time. Only the timeline has changed this year needing to extend it because of the youth of this group. JB becomes more comfortable by learning who he can trust over time by their play in practices and games.

I have a lot of concerns with Justin taking over for Joe next year. Even though Joe got more time as a freshman, you can't compare the two.

That said...

View attachment 225090

Joe lost his cool last night and let it get to him. And the big issue is that it wasn't one play. The screenshot you have is the worst part of it all.

I'm all for allowing guys to be emotional when you don't get a call after getting hit in the face, but he was jawing with the refs a lot in the 2H and the whole situation was pulling him away from being focused.

It just can't happen with a starting senior who takes the most shots. It can't. He has to stay locked in. Duke is going to be all up in his grill and he has to stay within himself.

He's human, it happens. But we're in the gauntlet now and need all the key guys to stay focused (Joe, Jesse, Maliq, Judah).

No wiggle room. Let the coaches deal with the refs, keep grinding.

Ok? Does that make it better or worse that our star senior is doing it too?

and are you suggesting Judah hasn’t got heat on this board for his play specially at end of games?? I know you couldn’t be

Neither. I’m not absolving Joe at all. Just pointing out a fact since you chose to extrapolate a play we’ve seen others do, hell even NBA players, as a reason for Joe not coming back.

Neither. I’m not absolving Joe at all. Just pointing out a fact since you chose to extrapolate a play we’ve seen others do, hell even NBA players, as a reason for Joe not coming back.
Fair enough. I should have clarified "plays like this".

LOL...Have to admit, never thought I'd read that sentence on this board...

Somewhere...numerous posters' heads are exploding...

That's probably for the best.
We need to win every game. If a starter or two is dead-tired, or horrifically off their game, then we can go to Symir, Taylor or Benny. If not we need to ride the guys that can win, and that's the 5 that played the lion's share of the minutes last night.

We need to win every game. If a starter or two is dead-tired, or horrifically off their game, then we can go to Symir, Taylor or Benny. If not we need to ride the guys that can win, and that's the 5 that played the lion's share of the minutes last night.
I disagree. There will be a game soon, maybe even Sat, where Taylor will get the most mins over Bell.

Bell nor Taylor just aren't consistent enough to check the box for their mins.

I disagree. There will be a game soon, maybe even Sat, where Taylor will get the most mins over Bell.

Bell nor Taylor just aren't consistent enough to check the box for their mins.
That's fine. I guess my point is that we can't screw around anymore, hence "horrifically off their game". Guys gotta produce or ride the pine. I don't think we'll see much of Benny going forward, and probably not more than a handful of minute for Symir.

Didn't get to watch the game live as the wife and I had other plans, but just finished watching. Honestly pretty blown away. This is the first time in years I've watched us play and felt like (1) we looked like a truly good team and (2) it felt repeatable/not flukey.

It's a shame we blew so many close games this year that likely ruined our resume. I really didn't think the team would reach this level this season; I'm really impressed.

Do we win if Jesse doesn't hit the 3?

We've missed a ton of point blank shots - and slams - this year..
Does a game decided by 3 points change if you take away 3 points? Yeah, probably.

How many flop warnings has Joe gotten this year? One? Two? And last night was not a flop. Paulus was famous for flopping because at times he wouldn’t even be touched and his flops were numerous. It’s amazing that people can watch the replay, see it was clearly a foul and it was called, and still find blame with the SU player. People are complaining about the “flop” more than the shot to the face 10 seconds prior that was also a clear foul but not called.

Yeah, my post was in some ways an attempt to be somewhat humorous, hence the smiley emoji inserted at the post's end. Some of you are seemingly way overly sensitive, etc. nowadays.

Look, it's simply my opinion that on this specific foul, Joe's reaction was a bit over the top and on the extreme side based upon the actual/true cause and effect. No doubt, the State player extended his arm, and the offensive was called, that's not being disputed, but it wasn't with the amount of force, IMO, (not to mention the specific contact area) for Joe's head to snap back in the violent way in which it did.

Again, IMO, some pretty good dramatics by Joe in that instance. I know SU has a really good theater school, I think Joe may have taken some elective classes there. ;)

Last edited:
Does a game decided by 3 points change if you take away 3 points? Yeah, probably.
it's not that cut and dry, though
can't go back in time, but the game wouldn't necessarily have been tied at the end

How many flop warnings has Joe gotten this year? One? Two? And last night was not a flop. Paulus was famous for flopping because at times he wouldn’t even be touched and his flops were numerous. It’s amazing that people can watch the replay, see it was clearly a foul and it was called, and still find blame with the SU player. People are complaining about the “flop” more than the shot to the face 10 seconds prior that was also a clear foul but not called.
It's becoming increasingly pointless to be on this board. If you don't think he flopped, what can even be discussed? I was going to say it's like we watched different games, but I think one of us watched the game and the other watched Dr pimple popper

It's becoming increasingly pointless to be on this board. If you don't think he flopped, what can even be discussed? I was going to say it's like we watched different games, but I think one of us watched the game and the other watched Dr pimple popper

Both video evidence and the ref say it was a foul.

Honest question - can the defensive player get called for flopping while the offensive player gets called for an offensive foul?

Because yeah, the guy pushed off with his left arm, but Joe went down like he just got pushed by Dwayne Johnson.

There is often contact on a flop. The flopper is trying to make sure it can't be ignored. (Judah)

Joe lost his cool last night and let it get to him. And the big issue is that it wasn't one play. The screenshot you have is the worst part of it all.
I don't think it was the worst one. It's not like he's not the worst player in college basketball, he's a better than average guard in a P5 conference, that's not a bad thing, but the attitude is just off-putting. When he's on, it's great, but too often he quits on the court. If he's stripped of the ball going into the trees, he quits the play and either drops his head and mopes or complains to the refs. I won't miss that part of his game at all.

I had 3-4 guys sitting behind me who were complaining about Joe during the game. They didn't even know his name (or any one else's name), so I doubt they had any preconceived opinions. Number 11 can't do that, why does 11 think he can get in there, he's not big enough, why doesn't 11 pass the ball, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom