Postgame Thoughts… ND | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… ND

At this point...

it’s kinda mean to say this.

but does it even matter? We have 2, arguably 3, better forwards at this point. And all are freshman.

I want him to stay, but maybe he should take a shot somewhere else.
I was critical when he didn’t do squat.
Then he showed up, less bouncy house, and i was excited.
But now we have Brown and Bell and Hima and even Copeland-as-a-F…

Time to cut bait if he’s not bought in.

It’s easy for adults to say how a kid should act. He is likely imagining all that he had worked for and thought he would achieve slipping away.

It is easy because since the dawn of time adults having been telling kids how to act. It’s sort of a big role in development. aka growing up.

Yeah I mean look at Quadir on the bench. That kid expends as much energy on the bench as on the court lol
Usually, yes. Quadir is the best hype man we’ve ever had. But at the end of this game, when Judah was at the line and making those FTs, the camera showed our bench and both QC and Benny were totally checked-out.

I can understand being frustrated with your own play or even at the coach for squashing minutes you think you’re entitled to, but there isn’t much excuse for not supporting your teammates. It’s a character thing—maybe just one aspect of ‘character,’ but still—and hopefully someone gets through to him and he grows up from there.

I don’t want him to transfer. Still lots of time for him to find his niche and his groove and to become what we all expect, himself included.

Look I know it is Notre Dame but I am so happy. What a win.
-we don’t win this game without Judah playing unselfishly and under control. Had some great dishes and was money from the line in the clutch. 8 assists!
-was really nice to see Jesse play with some confidence and hit some big free throws in the clutch himself.
-like I’ve said repeatedly I have been amazed by the Bell hate. But the kid was absolute stones tonight and we don’t win without him. Having a three-point weapon like him who can make shots in big spots as a freshman is rare. Hoping that he will continue to grow with our program because he is a very underappreciated building block for this program.
-Brown was outstanding. So much energy, good defense, deflections just everything you want from a kid playing for Syracuse. And his poise as a freshman is remarkable. Whether he has played two minutes or 36 minutes he has never been intimidated for a second. I really can’t think of a good argument why he should not be starting over Benny.
-Taylor was also very good. The unselfish dish to Brown was huge. The upgrade at the top of the zone defensively over Joe was very evident. Another freshman who is not afraid to take and make a big shot.
-it was not Joe’s night but I give him credit for not forcing things after he went on a turnover streak in the second half. I was afraid he would take a bad shot and kill us down the stretch but he played team basketball and that was a big reason why we were able to get to the line and win the game. I don’t know why when given a blatant opportunity JB doesn’t sub for him on defense late in the game.
-The zone absolutely killed us. JB gets credit for going to the press to speed up Notre Dame and make them less comfortable but maybe we wouldn’t have been in that position if we weren’t playing the zone against a team that basically only can shoot threes.
-Nothing like a high after a huge comeback win for the Cuse. And that it was led by 4 freshmen makes me excited for the future.
-Let’s get one in Miami!

It’s easy for adults to say how a kid should act. He is likely imagining all that he had worked for and thought he would achieve slipping away.
Kid?

I’d expect better from an actual high school kid. It’s ok to be mad at your play or want to play more or whatever, but you don’t make a big show about how disgruntled you are in front of 20,000 and a TV audience. At least pretend to listen to the huddle, and give some golf claps when the team is making huge plays. Selfish.

Thought he was overmatched on D in the first half, got bullied down low a couple times, but he was knocking down everything on O

thought his D picked up big time in 2nd half and specifically when matched w/ brown and Taylor in the game. Think it’s worth a look to play that trio together more.

Yep. Plus Bell showed he can hit shots in a big spot. That shot is pure.

Look I know it is Notre Dame but I am so happy. What a win.
-we don’t win this game without Judah playing unselfishly and under control. Had some great dishes and was money from the line in the clutch. 8 assists!
-was really nice to see Jesse play with some confidence and hit some big free throws in the clutch himself.
-like I’ve said repeatedly I have been amazed by the Bell hate. But the kid was absolute stones tonight and we don’t win without him. Having a three-point weapon like him who can make shots in big spots as a freshman is rare. Hoping that he will continue to grow with our program because he is a very underappreciated building block for this program.
-Brown was outstanding. So much energy, good defense, deflections just everything you want from a kid playing for Syracuse. And his poise as a freshman is remarkable. Whether he has played two minutes or 36 minutes he has never been intimidated for a second. I really can’t think of a good argument why he should not be starting over Benny.
-Taylor was also very good. The unselfish dish to Brown was huge. The upgrade at the top of the zone defensively over Joe was very evident. Another freshman who is not afraid to take and make a big shot.
-it was not Joe’s night but I give him credit for not forcing things after he went on a turnover streak in the second half. I was afraid he would take a bad shot and kill us down the stretch but he played team basketball and that was a big reason why we were able to get to the line and win the game. I don’t know why when given a blatant opportunity JB doesn’t sub for him on defense late in the game.
-The zone absolutely killed us. JB gets credit for going to the press to speed up Notre Dame and make them less comfortable but maybe we wouldn’t have been in that position if we weren’t playing the zone against a team that basically only can shoot threes.
-Nothing like a high after a huge comeback win for the Cuse. And that it was led by 4 freshmen makes me excited for the future.
-Let’s get one in Miami!
You went soft on Benny dude

The Bell and Taylor combo seemed to give Mintz (and Jesse and Brown) more room than Joe. Maybe just was this game and the circumstances...but that lineup was real fun.

I think part of it is that Joe prefers to get his looks and operate in the top of the key more which is also where Judah operates. Joe tends to drag too many defenders towards Judah vs away.

At this point...

it’s kinda mean to say this.

but does it even matter? We have 2, arguably 3, better forwards at this point. And all are freshman.

I want him to stay, but maybe he should take a shot somewhere else.

Players who make it more about them than the team aren’t good for the team.

FR are growing up quickly. And they are playing well. Mintz, Maliq, Bell and Taylor are core contributors right now. Copeland has shown us he has a future as well.

Hima’s developing too.

This class looks legit.
Hima's contribution tonight can't be understated. Jesse needed a seat to gather himself and Hima made some plays.

Hima's contribution tonight can't be understated. Jesse needed a seat to gather himself and Hima made some plays.
I still think he should see more time even in closer games, Jesse is a big guy, he’s going to get tired

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom