Postgame Thoughts… ND | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… ND

My favorite stat in basketball is team assists. We had 21 tonight, the most we have had in conference play by far.
That can’t be. Didn’t JB tell Donna that assists didn’t mean anything because we were ISO one one one?

Judah 2, JJ 0
Judah is the better player right now and I was all in on wanting JJ to come here. I’ve followed Starling like I have followed most upstate NY D-1 kids and I’m not sure if JJ has a shoulder injury, but his shot looks completely broken. He was a better shooter for Baldwinsville High School as a sophomore.

I find it comical when Boeheim told us Maliq Brown wasn't quite ready ‍♂️
Maliq Brown carves out new role with Syracuse

He’s relatively new to basketball. He has a great attitude. As he has been learning the game, the staff will continue to find the best way he can maximize his talents on the court. He definitely has innate basketball talent. What a great find he’s been for ‘just’ a supposed 3 star player. Thank you Justin Taylor and GMac.

Keep this class together, they’re showing a lot. It was awesome seeing the 4 freshman and hima start the comeback.

Excited for the future, but more importantly for the near term. We have a hole to climb out of but opportunity to make some noise this year is there. I think we matchup well with Miami. A win would go a long way.

Good on Bell. I’ll eat crow. But he was getting cooked on D in 1H. The man hit some huge shots.

I loved JT at the 2.

Maliq needs to start.

Judah was ice cold at the end of the game.

Now we can start thinking about the tournament. But whatever is up with Benny has to get figured out.

Benny is just coaching.

Other players screw up terribly (Joe's horrendous TOs in the 2H), no impact.

Some guy hits a three in his vector, Coach Boeheim goes bananas despite the fault being scheme.

It is what it is...this type of coaching is just not relevant anymore, it's over, and doesn't lead to best outcomes, but that's where we're at.

Obviously it's also a function of having 4 players for 2 spots, which most programs can manage through coaching, but we've proven we cannot.

But, solid win, the Frosh are rounding out a bit, hope for a fun ending and Benny works through it.

Keep this class together, they’re showing a lot. It was awesome seeing the 4 freshman and hima start the comeback.

Excited for the future, but more importantly for the near term. We have a hole to climb out of but opportunity to make some noise this year is there. I think we matchup well with Miami. A win would go a long way.
And its arguable that Copeland has the most potential in the class if he can get his act together.

I was worried we would wait too long to press. Bell came to play tonight and Maliq is a beast. I thought this was Taylor's best game too. LGO!
JB has always used the 12 point rule. Even go back and re-watch our comebacks against ND and Pitt in 2003. We were down 12 when he goes to the press. If Brey was smart he would’ve instructed his players to just run out the shot clock when their lead was 10 points.

I really don’t care about the Benny Williams gossip in terms of how hard he is cheering on the bench…..blah blah blah. I’m too old for that

What I’m not too old for is being annoyed by us constantly getting behind in games and halves starting an inferior player. Second half tonight was a prime example . So sick of it

Benny is just coaching.

Other players screw up terribly (Joe's horrendous TOs in the 2H), no impact.

Some guy hits a three in his vector, Coach Boeheim goes bananas despite the fault being scheme.

It is what it is...this type of coaching is just not relevant anymore, it's over, and doesn't lead to best outcomes, but that's where we're at.

Obviously it's also a function of having 4 players for 2 spots, which most programs can manage through coaching, but we've proven we cannot.

But, solid win, the Frosh are rounding out a bit, hope for a fun ending and Benny works through it.
These types of post drive me crazy… after watching a year & half of Benny playing, you’ve come to the conclusion that his one & only issue is coaching? Coaching. What are you watching? It’s borderline ridiculous.

Credit to JB, the press was effective in making ND work harder to get into their offense and tired them out so they couldn’t just stand and shoot. What a great effort by the guys. Crowd was great. Anytime you beat ND in anything it’s amazing

Missed this one, but glad to have the board chatter to get a feel for it. Bell looked insanely good in condensed game!
Really curious how Benny responds to a tough situation.

Somebody want to help me understand these train yard references??

Down 20 to Pitt, we press and lose by 1.
Down 23 to UVA, we press and lose by 6.
Down 12 to ND,we press and win by 5.

But Jim says we’re not a good pressing team and Jesse would foul out if we pressed. Jesse has yet to commit a foul while we are pressing.

Bell finally showed his potential.
Brown continues to amaze and work well with Jesse.
Mintz needs to work from the top on offense, not the side.
Joe’s weak handle will be a liability again vs. the ‘canes.
We are not a good defensive team. We don’t cover the corners and can’t keep the ball out of the middle.

Last edited:
Maliq brown is just so good. As good as bell shot and as clutch as mintz was, brown was imo the mvp.

He shot 87 percent today. 6 rebounds 2 assists a couple steals and a block. No turnovers. He has an unbelievable knack to always be in the right place and always make the right play. Very special in a frosh - I think of guys like Cj fair, Preston shumpert, Lawrence moton. All these guys were different players but they all were just remarkably positive contributors from moment one and seemed to have a preternatural ability to just make the right play. Brown has that. Can’t say enough about him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom