Postgame Thoughts… ND | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… ND

Maliq brown is just so good. As good as bell shot and as clutch as mintz was, brown was imo the mvp.

He shot 87 percent today. 6 rebounds 2 assists a couple steals and a block. No turnovers. He has an unbelievable knack to always be in the right place and always make the right play. Very special in a frosh - I think of guys like Cj fair, Preston shumpert, Lawrence moton. All these guys were different players but they all were just remarkably positive contributors from moment one and seemed to have a preternatural ability to just make the right play. Brown has that. Can’t say enough about him.
Maliq's game reminds me of when Montrezl Harrell played at Louisville... certainly Brown is not as explosive as Harrell, but he just hangs out around the rim & gets things done. Rebounds, good passes, finishes at the rim & through contact. Remember when Harrell seemingly would dunk everything on the weak side low block playing against the zone? It was beautiful to see Brown stringing multiple two hand dunks together from basically the same spot, it feels like it's been years since we've had a finisher like that.

Maliq's game reminds me of when Montrezl Harrell played at Louisville... certainly Brown is not as explosive as Harrell, but he just hangs out around the rim & gets things done. Rebounds, good passes, finishes at the rim & through contact. Remember when Harrell seemingly would dunk everything on the weak side low block playing against the zone? It was beautiful to see Brown stringing multiple two hand dunks together from basically the same spot, it feels like it's been years since we've had a finisher like that.
His positioning, hands, footwork and the way he understands how to use his body really jump out at me, best on the team. When he goes up to score he doesn't go vertical, he goes up in the direction of the defender creating that extra space for the bucket.

I’m tired of his crybaby act.
To be fair, Benny has handled himself pretty well. I haven't noticed any public displays of disatisfaction, other than tonite.
In any case, he has no one to blame but himself. He's been given plenty of opportunities. It just hasn't worked out.

That said. could affect Mintz leaving/staying. But is what it is
If Williams keeps this behavior up, his friendship with Mintz won’t last much longer.

Joe didn’t take a single shot in the 2nd half. And while he was on the bench he was still cheering and also talking to players during/after timeouts giving them advice and pumping them up. Good on Joe.
Joe just wants to win its one of his great traits. He played well at the end after he was put back in. Sitting never hurts guys like Joe he knows he was off. Hope he comes back next year.

Down 20 to Pitt, we press and lose by 1.
Down 23 to UVA, we press and lose by 6.
Down 12 to ND,we press and win by 5.

But Jim says we’re not a good pressing team and Jesse would foul out if we pressed. Jesse has yet to commit a foul while we are pressing.

Bell finally showed his potential.
Brown continues to amass and work well with Jesse.
Mintz needs to work from the top on offense, not the side.
Joe’s weak handle will be a liability again vs. the ‘canes.
We are not a good defensive team. We don’t cover the corners and can’t keep the ball out of the middle.
What we are is a team that plays better at a faster tempo.

Brown is simply a basketball player. He has a feel for the game. Benny usually doesn't. Team moves better with Brown on both ends.

Missed this one, but glad to have the board chatter to get a feel for it. Bell looked insanely good in condensed game!
Really curious how Benny responds to a tough situation.

Somebody want to help me understand these train yard references??
It's a Yellowstone reference. No spoilers.

It's a good show.

When they showed the slo-mo replay of Joe's head getting slammed to the floor by the ND player landing on him, was sure he'd be in concussion protocol and done for the night.
Apparently not that bad -didn't notice an egg on his forehead where I thought it hit the floor(?)

Benny is just coaching.

Other players screw up terribly (Joe's horrendous TOs in the 2H), no impact.

Some guy hits a three in his vector, Coach Boeheim goes bananas despite the fault being scheme.

It is what it is...this type of coaching is just not relevant anymore, it's over, and doesn't lead to best outcomes, but that's where we're at.

Obviously it's also a function of having 4 players for 2 spots, which most programs can manage through coaching, but we've proven we cannot.

But, solid win, the Frosh are rounding out a bit, hope for a fun ending and Benny works through it.
The issue with this “take” is that we have no idea what has been worked on during practice. The “lapses” may be specific things that kids weren’t supposed to do.
That said, I think it would be refreshing if JB could coach them up on the fly, instead of pulling the kids out.

The issue with this “take” is that we have no idea what has been worked on during practice. The “lapses” may be specific things that kids weren’t supposed to do.
That said, I think it would be refreshing if JB could coach them up on the fly, instead of pulling the kids out.
Giving a hall of fame head coach advice. That's cute.

Team deserves credit for winning.
No need for any negativity. The facts are known. This type of team would have been very popular 4 years ago and the future would have been brighter.

If we could just sprinkle in some man to man when the zone isn’t working it would be outstanding.

Joes a good player but at times he plays like a freshman. His trying to dribble through 3 players twice in a row was something an inexperienced player does.
It's not selfishness as much as panic, imo. Maybe tonight he's him realize that it's not all on him when things aren't going well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom