Postgame Thoughts… St. John’s | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… St. John’s

We wore down.
If that were true we wouldn’t have been able to come back.
Box score facts

Vs Temple, SJU had 3 bench guys play 41 minutes.
Vs Richmond, SU had 4 guys play 41 minutes (Brown only had 5 minutes)

Vs SU, SJU had 3 bench guys play 11 minutes

Vs SJU, SU had 2 bench guys play 21 minutes, plus Hima played 31 minutes.

SJU plays a much more physically demanding style of play, so if there is an truth to the widespread but unproven mantra that SU guys get gassed, it would be in conditioning, not minutes.

Last edited:
1. its been a pattern over the last 5 years or more now

consistently losing the 2nd half, even after winning the first...no adjustments, tight rotation wearing out the players on the court

meanwhile, opponents adjust and tighten the screws

why does JB have to be so stubborn when the ship is sinking??????

2. girard was physically overmatched by st jonhs small guards...why not get quadir or taylor in and see if their SIZE could make a difference?

Joe simply cannot play vs the St Johns or Houston etc of the world. period.

3. 2022 JB is not a problem solver...and he needs to be.

Now hes more like a puppetmaster directing a script...teams have his formula figured out. Thet all have a copy of his script!!!

4. I didnt expect St Johns to make the adjustments they did but their defense in the second half was very very very good...they are a solid team...they arent 6-0 on accident.

5. Shame that game from Judah didnt result in a win...he deserved it. ...but his second half he came back down to Earth...not quite ready to be a one and done yet.

We have a guy on the bench who acts like he’s still coaching in the 90’s with 5 studs on the court at all times. How do you constantly, consistently, and what’s most infuriating…predictably, play 6-7 guys the majority of minutes and not think they’ll get gassed?
I don't disagree, but SJU only really used one bench guy, the other three played fewer combined minutes than Symir did by himself. I think Syracuse has generally been a poorly conditioned team and most guys don't ever seem to improve their bodies here (Coondog excepted). They come in as beanpoles and leave as beanpoles. I'd like to see some improvement.

That game was 32 minutes of good-to-above average basketball and they got tired and just imploded at the end when SJU made adjustments. Benny had a nice game, but he's not a 45 mpg guy. Bell, not sure what's going on there. Joe, ugh. Jesse has to continually play out of position and then reaches when he moves to the ball. It's been the some song for years with fouls on the center position.

I'm completely unsurprised that M2M was abandoned immediately this season, as was the 9-man rotation. I would have bet the house and my 401(k) on that one. Zone is easier to learn? C'mon JAB, that's not what you've said before.

Chris Bell on JB: "It's hard to say. Old man is in the hall of fame, but he makes zero good choices during games. He almost should retire."

He didn’t really say that, did he??

But maybe he did, who really knows???
Things wish they could say to the media to send a message to JB.

Bell - “I was really tired out there and figured if I completely ignored rebounding the old man would give me a couple minutes on the bench. But nope, just leaves me out there so I doubled down. Still nothing. It’s like he doesn’t really care about rebounding, so why would I?“

Well, one of these days one of those young guys is going to do something like that.
I watched an interview clip of Benny from last night where Donna asked him about playing the whole game both nights. He said something like, "I said to Judah, 'I can't believe we're starting for Syracuse.'" It was a nice moment and reminded me that as cliche as it sounds, these really are just kids at their core.

I watched an interview clip of Benny from last night where Donna asked him about playing the whole game both nights. He said something like, "I said to Judah, 'I can't believe we're starting for Syracuse.'" It was a nice moment and reminded me that as cliche as it sounds, these really are just kids at their core.
And good kids at that

Yep. Those transition pull up 3s with nobody under the rim are a far better pct play than joe taking it to the rim vs a P5 defender.
And neither are great in the long run.

You’re kidding, right?
Nope. We’ll be better at 4 of the 5 spots on the court next year and even at Center, Hima might be just fine next year even if he’s not the offensive player Edwards is.

How much better Copeland,Bell and Benny get is key, and also how well Mintz, Bell, and Taylor shoot it from 3 by next year will be a huge key….if all of them are solid threats 35%+ on good volume from 3, then I think that effectively replaces Joe’s shooting….and Copeland will bring way more to the table overall than Joe. We’re talking 6’6 and athletic with good vision and handles.

Nope. We’ll be better at 4 of the 5 spots on the court next year and even at Center, Hima might be just fine next year even if he’s not the offensive player Edwards is.

How much better Copeland,Bell and Benny get is key, and also how well Mintz, Bell, and Taylor shoot it from 3 by next year will be a huge key….if all of them are solid threats 35%+ on good volume from 3, then I think that effectively replaces Joe’s shooting….and Copeland will bring way more to the table overall than Joe. We’re talking 6’6 and athletic with good vision and handles.
We need another guard and Hima and Carey at center is questionable and the forwards have to keep improving. There's definitely potential but JB saying it's fine that we have zero recruits for next year is mind boggling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom