Postgame Thoughts… Virginia | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Virginia

That’s how press conferences work bud
Puhleeze.
That's apologist logic.
If they all sound the same, it's because we're seeing the same BS results every time we play anyone with a pulse. It's the low-expectation fans that are doing this program a grave injustice. And the "Groundhog Day" version of JB, which we've been witness to these last few years, is simply unacceptable.

Puhleeze.
That's apologist logic.
If they all sound the same, it's because we're seeing the same BS results every time we play anyone with a pulse. It's the low-expectation fans that are doing this program a grave injustice. And the "Groundhog Day" version of JB, which we've been witness to these last few years, is simply unacceptable.
They’ve been the same for 20 years

Stopped watching the game about 10 minutes into the 2nd half. Missed the "comeback". Guess we have blame JB (wink, wink), but why no mention of the missed 4 layups in the 1st half. Obviously that was bad coaching!

This was the first time Judah experienced playing against the pack line defense and like any rookie he made bad turnovers trying to drive to the rim against it. But after the first 30 minutes he started to get it, adjusted, and began playing way better. That is very encouraging. He's a major talent and it started to show in those final 10 minutes.

He hasn’t been doubled that aggressively all year . He let his frustration affect his defense
Correct me if I'm wrong. Was Jesse doubled with their center and shooting guard? Jesse usually passed to our open man, a long pass from side to side, and we did not convert. Our open man should have cut to the basket as soon as the double team appeared, or Jesse should have made his first move quickly, and then shoot or pass immediately. I'm dreaming of Onuaku.

They’ve been the same for 20 years
Nonsense. Again, apologist logic.
If you're suggesting that somehow JB's pressers are the same, win or lose, then I call BS.
Common sense dictates that they'd be different, based on results alone. We've repeatedly heard the loser's lament from our HOF'er more now, and regularly, each and every season. Double digit losses going on 6-7 years in a row, tend to give his pressers a "rinse and repeat" quality to them, no?

I agree. We have lost our New Jersey recruiting and are very seldom involved with any of the top players in the country. We’re fighting for scraps and losing.
We are a fish out of water. A new coach is not going to change that.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Was Jesse doubled with their center and shooting guard? Jesse usually passed to our open man, a long pass from side to side, and we did not convert. Our open man should have cut to the basket as soon as the double team appeared, or Jesse should have made his first move quickly, and then shoot or pass immediately. I'm dreaming of Onuaku.
He missed out on at least 3 assists on blown layups. I legit thought Joe was going to dunk one of them.

JB has to realize that a press doesn’t need to steal the ball to have an effect. It forced Virginia to alter the way they played. I think it also keeps our guys moving. It’s a way to play ten guys too. It just might speed up the game for us.
JB knows that- recall the game Cuse came back and won to go to the final four. The press sped them up and UVA botched it. Press was different today but it did alter the game.

Nonsense. Again, apologist logic.
If you're suggesting that somehow JB's pressers are the same, win or lose, then I call BS.
Common sense dictates that they'd be different, based on results alone. We've repeatedly heard the loser's lament from our HOF'er more now, and regularly, each and every season. Double digit losses going on 6-7 years in a row, tend to give his pressers a "rinse and repeat" quality to them, no?
Go watch a press conference from 2004-2007 it’s literally the same thing. I don’t what to tell you, he has never liked the press and never liked press conferences.

We were down by 20 to Pitt and lost by 1.

We were down by 23 to Virgina and lost by 6.

But we “aren’t a good pressing team”.

Too bad. A team that lacks an outside game and has a hard time scoring in the half court against the good defensive team could sure use a good pres. :(

They neutralized Jesse on O. He is what he is but that hurt.

Good performances by Maliq, Joe and Judah

He needs:

- a second outside shooter to open things up.

- someone who knows how to ‘feed the post’ (besides John Bol, who does little else).

- antihero to get stronger. and improve his back to the basket game.

We were down by 20 to Pitt and lost by 1.

We were down by 23 to Virgina and lost by 6.

But we “aren’t a good pressing team”.

Too bad. A team that lacks an outside game and has a hard time scoring in the half court against the good defensive team could sure use a good pres. :(
I’m not opposed to using the press in the first half here and there.

The double team is usually the center and the #4 (preferred) or #3 depending on which side of the lane everyone is on. The opposite side guard has to cover 2 men but the big would have to make a cross-court pass to get to them.

Well they stunk for 100 years Tuttle. Why is that?

Thank god people with you’re mentality don’t run sht around here.
WTH does a hundred years have to do with now? I’m realistic. I gave up my orange colored glasses long ago. Some has to let folks know the emperor has no clothes. I long ago moved away from living in Orange fantasy land. You know, the one where the people who believed JB when he said this was his best class ever live.

What head coach has Syracuse ever hired away from a peer program? I’ll wait. Heck, for WBB, we went to UB so we could hire an alumnae.

Years ago, in the BE, when the program was rocking, SU could have had a number of highly successful successors for JB. Now, JB has been allowed to run the program into the ground. We are in no one’s discussions for ACC champs, let alone NCAA champs.

One problem is that the area and the university have no real differentiators (location, weather, other unique industries for spouses to work), to elevate it enough to leave a peer school. No successful HC is going to make a lateral move to Syracuse. Particularly to follow a HOF coach.

Names people throw out are just lunacy: Few, Wright, Bennett, etc. Crazy. If you want to believe SU can, or will, hire such a coach, you’ll only be disappointed.

Now, maybe a guy like Sampson would want to leave Houston to go to the ACC, but I don’t consider Houston as a peer school.

Last edited:
Jesse wound up with 10 rebounds, but mostly he seemed a bit disinterested to me tonight. I thought that we were way better defensively when Hima was in. Maliq with a pretty decent game, Taylor didn't play badly. Joe made some shots in the 2nd half, but we never really threatened in this game.
Though Hima was the MVP of the game. Can't believe JBA started. Do we ever start a game strong?

Though Hima was the MVP of the game. Can't believe JBA started. Do we ever start a game strong?
I liked JB’s reason for JBA starting. Said he didn’t want to tell Brown he was starting for the first time in front of the home town crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom