Postgame Thoughts---Georgetown | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts---Georgetown

Same. Nice to have “Syracuse” size and closer to Syracuse athleticism again. Blocking shots, dunking, and a PG who can get where ever he needs to on the court and create easy baskets - so nice to see it all.

Certainly a nice win today with lots of positives. But I'd like to see Mintz move the ball more at the top of the offense. He has added the drive and dump to his game, but he pounds the ball a little too much before initiating the offense. We lose 5-10 seconds on a lot of possessions before he starts a play.

Certainly a nice win today with lots of positives. But I'd like to see Mintz move the ball more at the top of the offense. He has added the drive and dump to his game, but he pounds the ball a little too much before initiating the offense. We lose 5-10 seconds on a lot of possessions before he starts a play.
I see coaching potential here.

Gotta give JB and staff credit. This team keeps getting better. Playing with a purpose getting Jesse touches and playing off him. Good job by JB to sit Mintz when he forgets to involve his teammates. A lot of positives with all nine guys who played. JBA turned the game around when he entered the last two games. He brings energy and gets the ball to Jesse. He gets everyone to look for each other.
They also just played 2 bad teams. That probably has something to do with how they have looked. That said, their passing these last 2 games has been outstanding.

They also just played 2 bad teams. That probably has something to do with how they have looked. That said, their passing these last 2 games has been outstanding.
Teams that muddy up the game on defense and can pass and shoot on offense will still give us fits. Hopefully there’s not a ton of those left?

I just cannot express how good it feels, after years of slower, spot up shooting, back down defenders style from the Orange back court, to have Judah Mintz. Bro just has the ball on a string, is lightning quick & can get up… he genuinely has one of the best behind the back dribbles in the country to my eye, it creates misdirection & separation in a really unique way, while also relieving full court pressure.

He had one play today (I make go back & record it & share the clip here) where he dribbled into the lane, went through the leg right to left, than instantly went back through the same leg… he ended up getting fouled I believe after? It was so quick though it was easy to miss. I was just basking in it…

Now we just need Benny to finish ONE one of those alley oops in traffic/through contact & blow the roof off the Dome
Here's a video of the dribble play from Mintz at the 14:40ish mark in the 2nd half, haha it ended up being his lob pass being swatted by Akok, but the point remains & the handles are there;)

P.S. Sorry I didn't take any time to clean this video production up, just wanted to put it up here for reference.

Fun game to watch...always a bit more rewarding beating Georgetown. Great to see Jesse dominate, Mintz combine scoring and playmaking, Joe playing efficient, and Williams having a solid game.

Like many others, JBA is just someone I really root for. Seems like an awesome teammate and someone that has learned to play within himself to make the team better. I don't think many of us pegged him to be in the rotation this year, but he has obviously earned some real minutes. Good for him.

That said, still puzzled Brown doesn't play more especially if we're willing to put Benny at the 3. Brown just seems to always make plays and doesn't make mistakes.

Will be interesting to see if this team can continue to come together over the year. Would be nice to keep the core in this freshmen class together.

Really enjoyed the win
-Jesse is on the run that we were hoping for coming into the season. He is dominant right now and it will be fun to see what he can do in ACC play.
-as I noted in the game thread the evolution of Judah into a point guard is well underway. It is good to see him shooting his free throws with more confidence and success. Also his unselfish play as I’ve said before demonstrates that he is taking to coaching and is a good team player. Of course his talent is evident and his and one was the type of athletic, exciting play that we have been missing.
-I was wrong about JBA. I thought he was useless. What he does is bring intangibles and has the ability to pass the ball with good judgment. He showed a nice stroke at the line and a willingness to go to the floor for loose balls which I love, especially after last year.
-aside from an indefensible one on four chuck and two non closeouts that allowed wide-open threes, Joe was pretty good yesterday. I still feel like he is dribbling the ball too much and the longer he dribbles the ball the worst our possessions get. When he takes shots that are open and not forced, fading or off the dribble he is a weapon.
-under the radar I thought Symir was a big help up the bench yesterday. He took care of the ball and didn’t have any wild moves like we saw earlier in the year.
-Benny continues to mystify with his refusal to go to the basket. And he just does not instinctively go to the spot where the ball is for rebounds. But in the second half he flashed and hopefully his monster dunks will encourage him to go to the basket more often.
-I know Bell is thought of as a shooter but he has shown a nice ability to finish on the fast break. His rebounding struggles continued. Taylor played hard as he always does but I think he would be well advised to put the ball on the floor when he is guarded tight on the perimeter and go to the basket like he did in high school.
-again a nice win. Beating Georgetown will never be taken for granted. I think those guys have some talent but Ewing is doing a terrible job and they are badly underachieving. I think of how badly we wanted Wahab and Akok on this board a couple of years ago and one would think he could do more with those players as well as the guards he brought in

I'm sure this has been commented on a hundred times but was this our first win with cursive uniforms?
No, we’ve one a handful of them since we have started bringing them back occasionally. Granted our record in them recently isn’t stellar, we still have won some. Obviously we won A LOT wearing them in the 80s and 90s.

Gaslighting is lying. That was pure snark. I've been listening to the same crap from Boeheim haters since the internet went public, or through 1000+ wins and an NC. Please don't tell that half the criticism is the least bit objective.

Hyperbole on top of Hyperbole. Not a spring chicken here and there are maybe a handful(relatively speaking) where it's actually hate within the fanbase. Just another one that can't discern criticism and hate. Probably chalk me up as a hater too... which effectively ends this discourse.

Yeah, everyone was selling their season tickets if Boeheim doesn't go, stat. I don't call that objective. Beyond Jesse, and JG you had high school kids, who never played together at any level, learning the college game, and the system in those first ten games. But the "fans" blasted Boeheim hysterically. That's objective? Guess what. This is going to be a rocky season.

This is what you call blissful ignorance on your part.

It’s still a terrible idea.

Agreed, not an ideal situation. In recent years, the times I saw that happen usually involved play where the wing was not only woefully out of position, often way above the foul line chasing the ball, but way too slow in getting back where he belonged. And it's not so much that it happened once in a while, but that it kept happening, as the wing types never caught on.

And I did see on 3 replays - two of which were blocks, another was a hurry - that he was reading the play, rather than simply reacting to it. He knew there was someone in the corner before the ball got there. Entertaining athleticism? OK, but what it really tells me there's still some work to be done on D with the wing players not getting drawn in with polarization.

Agreed, not an ideal situation. In recent years, the times I saw that happen usually involved play where the wing was not only woefully out of position, often way above the foul line chasing the ball, but way too slow in getting back where he belonged. And it's not so much that it happened once in a while, but that it kept happening, as the wing types never caught on.

And I did see on 3 replays - two of which were blocks, another was a hurry - that he was reading the play, rather than simply reacting to it. He knew there was someone in the corner before the ball got there. Entertaining athleticism? OK, but what it really tells me there's still some work to be done on D with the wing players not getting drawn in with polarization.
It’s a problem that is worse when you have slow footed guards incapable of covering sufficient territory of their own. Wings should not have to be so high, but if they don’t, then they get yanked. But I agree.

We‘ve also had some free ranging forwards, like Roberts, who got themselves way out of position and left the corner exposed too much.

It’s a problem that is worse when you have slow footed guards incapable of covering sufficient territory of their own. Wings should not have to be so high, but if they don’t, then they get yanked. But I agree.

We‘ve also had some free ranging forwards, like Roberts, who got themselves way out of position and left the corner exposed too much.

"free ranging," LOL! Translation: The shooter raises his eyebrows, and TRob jumps into the fourth row, again and again and again ... :D

The most effective pair of guards at playing JB's defense were Andy Rautins and Brandon Triche. They hustled more than any others I've seen. Yes, even GMac.

Hyperbole on top of Hyperbole. Not a spring chicken here and there are maybe a handful(relatively speaking) where it's actually hate within the fanbase. Just another one that can't discern criticism and hate. Probably chalk me up as a hater too... which effectively ends this discourse.

I hate the term "hater". Being critical doesn't mean that you hate someone. The mass shooters and terrorists are the haters in this world.

That said, there have been too many times that this board has resembled a torchlight parade or a funeral procession after defeats and many posters have avoided it for that reason. Now that we've got a mini winning streak, (admittedly against lesser opposition) and a young, talented team seems to be coming together, SU basketball is fun to watch again and fun to talk about again. Those that avoided the board after losses want to have their say.

But it's best to say good things about the team when they are deserved rather than bad things about people who have said bad things about the team when that was deserved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom