Postgame Thoughts... GTech | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... GTech

I wish we didn’t leave the Big East, this “money” has done zero to improve Football or Basketball when it comes to on field/court product. I’d rather crush bad teams and have a chance at the end of the year, play our old rivals and have games that have emotion in them.
I’m over the ACC, I’m over getting our teeth kicked in in not only one sport, but two sports now and I’m over pretending playing Duke means anything other than it’s our Super Bowl. We don’t play down to other teams levels, we are that level and when we play a good team well we’re essentially lucky.
The ACC this year is significantly worse than the Big East was most years. That's not the issue.

What annoys me is Buddy struggled and we did well with Joe and Kadary and JB go to that in the second half?

No he goes back to Buddy. It causes a decent player who should be a role player to get treated like he is a superstar.

Also we only offered one guard in the class of 2021. What the heck is JB doing.
Buddy, Joe, Kadary we could use another guard for depth.

START Kadary.
It takes too long for our best guard to get into the game.

The HC is why I am not confident things will get better.
I can't imagine how frustrated the guys on the team must be when they see all of them getting benched when they struggle, except for Buddy. No matter how much he's struggling, he's always in for 35+ minutes. Then you add on basically all of them except for Buddy being called out by the coach in his post-game conferences. This has been going on all year. I've never seen anything like it.

I can't imagine how frustrated the guys on the team must be when they see all of them getting benched when they struggle, except for Buddy. No matter how much he's struggling, he's always in for 35+ minutes. Then you add on basically all of them except for Buddy being called out by the coach in his post-game conferences. This has been going on all year. I've never seen anything like it.
At the same time, we’ve heard practically nothing about any dissension within the team. And as we know all too well from many other seasons, if there was widespread griping we’d almost certainly hear about it.

I don’t get the sense that Buddy’s minutes or treatment is at all an issue with the other players.

At the same time, we’ve heard practically nothing about any dissension within the team. And as we know all too well from many other seasons, if there was widespread griping we’d almost certainly hear about it.

I don’t get the sense that Buddy’s minutes or treatment is at all an issue with the other players.
Yeah, seems quiet on that front.

That said, if Big Bad Bobby or Woody raised an eye brow whenever Buddy plays forward... I'd get it.

I doubt it is. He seems like a great teammate, and I'm sure they can see why/how his skillset is insanely valuable as he's a great shooter when he gets good shots. He's proven he can play.

I just don't know how Buddy can thrive with Jim as coach and the way he uses him, or vice versa. Both could thrive at SU without the other I'd guess. lol I doubt either wants to see that happen though.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be the Sumpert/Deshaun type stuff spilling out, but I got a bad feeling about how many players are going to be gone (pro, transfer, whatever) after the season.

Also, I think there is a difference when the players may have issues with each other versus issues directly with the coach.

I'm sure Buddy's a good dude, but that doesn't mean the other guys don't have to look out for #1 after the season.

All this is just my opinion.

Clearly sidibe is a center of Hakeem’s ability by listening to JB’s excuses

Not only JB's, but some here as well. Sibide was completely healthy last year and we went 17-14 in the regular season. The last 5 regular season games is where some of these folks hung their hat on based upon Sidibe's apparent prowess in those, yet we somehow managed only going 3-2. We beat GT (17-14, 9-7), Pitt (16-17, 6-14), BC (13-19, 7-13) and lost to NC (14-19, 6-14) and Miami (15-16, 7-13). That being the case, along with many feeling that Hughes > Griffin, this general sentiment is, let's just say, interesting.

Last edited:
Not only JB's, but some here as well. Sibide was completely healthy last year and we went 17-14 in the regular season. The last 5 regular season games is where some of these folks hung their hat on based upon Sidibe's prowess in those, yet we managed only going 3-2. We beat GT (17-14, 9-7), Pitt (16-17, 6-14), BC (13-19, 7-13) and losing to NC (14-19, 6-14) and Miami (15-16, 7-13). That being the case, along with many feeling that Hughes > Griffin, this general sentiment is, let's just say, interesting.
Facts...

Not sure we’d beat Uconn, SJU or Providence.

we got swept by Pitt, beat by Rutgers.

But hey we beat that other big east program that used to matter.

Start the national search

We aren’t loaded with talent but in years past Boeheim would’ve gotten the most out of this group and “surprised” everyone and we’d go 25-9 and get to the second round of the dance or something. The right guys would be playing and taking the most shots, the pieces would gel together, and we’d play the best we could given our limitations on both ends. Like 2001.

Could be wrong, but can’t help but feel that way.

We aren’t loaded with talent but in years past Boeheim would’ve gotten the most out of this group and “surprised” everyone and we’d go 25-9 and get to the second round of the dance or something. The right guys would be playing and taking the most shots, the pieces would gel together, and we’d play the best we could given our limitations on both ends. Like 2001.

In JB's defense, this Covid season has had a major effect on continuity, etc. but that still doesn't account for some of his odd decision-making, roster choices, and overall game planning.
The man is, was, and always will be stubborn of course, but its now past the point where it's hurting the program. Its like we're circling the drain and JB is Baghdad Bob, or better yet Steve Urkel: "I meant to do that"...y'know, recruit sub-standard talent, stick to a short bench, no flexibility on offense or defense, no backup planning, and going against every credo I've espoused for 40+ years. Other then that, we're doing great!

Last edited:

Just because we don’t hear about it, it doesn’t mean it’s not there. It’s human nature in this situation. I’m not saying they don’t like Buddy, but I can’t imagine they aren’t resentful towards Jim with the way he has consistently called them out publicly and thrown them under the bus, while only praising and defending Buddy.

Just because we don’t hear about it, it doesn’t mean it’s not there. It’s human nature in this situation. I’m not saying they don’t like Buddy, but I can’t imagine they aren’t resentful towards Jim with the way he has consistently called them out publicly and thrown them under the bus, while only praising and defending Buddy.
I feel like JB decided that since Buddy would already be under the microscope as his son he’s not going to subject him to additional media or fan scrutiny by being critical of him. Ultimately the desire to shield him has resulted in additional scrutiny of JB and he’s ok with that. One could argue it’s also resulted in additional scrutiny of Buddy from a segment of the fanbase but it’s pretty clear JB is never going to criticize his son publicly. Maybe teammates get that. I also think fans pay a lot more attention to that stuff than players. What matters to players is what is said behind closed doors.

I’m dubious. SU hoops is not the State Department. Leaks abound. I find it highly doubtful that if players were resentful of Buddy/JB’s playing time/treatment of him, we wouldn’t have heard about it. These are 18-21 year olds, they talk. A lot.

KenPom has SU as the 6th best team in the Big East, we'd be struggling there too

Last edited:

I think people say this a lot, but the problem is thus IMHO - we could get a lot out of a crap team because of how we were built, and how we played. We were usually long, and athletic and the zone could stir up enough trouble where we always were in games. We could get a marquee win or two and grind out plenty of others.

Now, this means crap teams could stick with us, but we were usually on the higher end talent wise so we would win the majority of those. We could also stick with better teams and then it just comes down to end game execution, and we always have a couple dudes capable of going off.

Now, we're uniquely built to wreck mid-majors, and get tossed about by good teams as we're slow, unathletic, and don't play no defense, but we can shoot. As a result, on occasion we may stay with a good teams, but it ain't that likely. (think Notre Dame, but with a zone and no big white guy down low)

None of those things matter against mid-majors, as we're built like them, but with better players. So, we have that going for us I guess. Two more years of thrashing mid-majors!!!!

I think people say this a lot, but the problem is thus IMHO - we could get a lot out of a crap team because of how we were built, and how we played. We were usually long, and athletic and the zone could stir up enough trouble where we always were in games. We could get a marquee win or two and grind out plenty of others.

Now, this means crap teams could stick with us, but we were usually on the higher end talent wise so we would win the majority of those. We could also stick with better teams and then it just comes down to end game execution, and we always have a couple dudes capable of going off.

Now, we're uniquely built to wreck mid-majors, and get tossed about by good teams as we're slow, unathletic, and don't play no defense, but we can shoot. As a result, on occasion we may stay with a good teams, but it ain't that likely. (think Notre Dame, but with a zone and no big white guy down low)

None of those things matter against mid-majors, as we're built like them, but with better players. So, we have that going for us I guess. Two more years of thrashing mid-majors!!!!

Schedule Cleveland State, Wichita State, Rhode Island, UMass, Vermont, and Richmond ASAP!! I want some revenge!!!

At the same time, we’ve heard practically nothing about any dissension within the team.
sometimes stress gets internalized and perhaps manifests itself as an eating disorder

This thread should have been locked by now...disgraceful comments in here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom