Postgame Thoughts... Illinois | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... Illinois

Schyer, Hubert Davis, and Tommy Lloyd all say hello.

Do I think Red or Gmac would be as good of a coach? Probably not. But you don’t need to be proven to hit the portal. You need to be able to sell play style and recruit aggressively. Need to sell the future state of the program.
Are you really comparing the current state of our program versus those programs? Those programs sell themselves. Based on the way we've played basketball the last 10 years, ours will not. No recruits remember us being a good program. If we made the change 5-10 years ago, it would have been a different story.

Are you really comparing the current state of our program versus those programs? Those programs sell themselves. Based on the way we've played basketball the last 10 years, ours will not. No recruits remember us being a good program. If we made the change 5-10 years ago, it would have been a different story.
Im not comparing the state of our program vs Duke, UNC, Arizona. Simply just saying you can get transfers with first year coaches. Thats why the emphasis would be about selling the resurgence of Cuse hoops under a first year HC.

Schyer, Hubert Davis, and Tommy Lloyd all say hello.

Do I think Red or Gmac would be as good of a coach? Probably not. But you don’t need to be proven to hit the portal. You need to be able to sell play style and recruit aggressively. Need to sell the future state of the program.
We may have won our last game this year. Seriously.

I feel a little bad for Red and Gmac, because they brought so much to the program as players.

But they are going to be associated with this absolute disaster of a season. "Tainted" is not a strong enough word.

The house will have to be cleaned. My preference would be Pitino, but I'll be happy with anyone reasonable, as long as he (presumably "he", but with this administration, one never knows) brings his own staff, top to bottom.

Coach Boeheim, it's time. Give us all a Christmas present, and announce your retirement by Dec 31, effective at the end of the end of this basketball season.

Ji
The movie's over. We're watching the post credits scene.

And it's not a good one. We regret waiting through the credits for it.
Its more like the crappy god awful sequel. Think Highlander 2..

whats this bs about us playing Illinois for the first time since 89? i just heard that on ESPN. did we not play them in hawaii a few years ago? ryan blackwell was on illinois then?

I wonder if Joes issue is something other than bball .. maybe his girl left him or some other off court problem

I wonder if Joes issue is something other than bball .. maybe his girl left him or some other off court problem
Joe was expected to have a great year playing off the ball. The problem is he doesn't know how to get free/open, and by playing at the 2 he is now generally being guarded by a taller and more athletic defender. At the 1with the ball already in his hands he can, as best as he can, create his own shot.
He looks dejected, deflated and without confidence out there. This is the worst team he's been on and because of the lack of talent on the team all of his weaknesses are being exposed.

I see the same player i’ve been watching for 2 years. No confidence in his dribbling or handling ball, and now no confidence in his shooting ability. Maybe start with a layup to see ball go in basket?

I think the fans are feeling it. 36,000 in the Dome March 4 vs. Wake, JB's last home game.

I’m gonna be there!!

First, it was just an excuse for a group of my fraternity brothers to get together and hang out for a weekend in Cuse.

Then - honoring GMac & Hak was announced for that game.

And now - I’d be willing to bet fairly substantial bucks that’ll be JAB’s last Dome game.

Which, sadly - will likely end with a L,
because this team just isn’t very good, and he simply doesn’t have it anymore.

We looked like a competent team at times earlier in the year. I have to wonder if Joe being a legit outside threat opens up Jesse in the middle and Judah to drive. Right now we have nothing outside so teams can clog the middle and we simply can not score.

The "post-game thoughts" approach toward discussing the current state of affairs on a game by game basis is like sitting in a psychiatrist's chair the day after being beaten outside of a bar and discussing the beating. It's almost like sick comedy at this point.

Nah, screw the refs, call the game how it should be called till the end.
Or…. Or Benny can shut the up. We got crushed and although he was better than normal he did nothing special out there.

This team reminds me a lot of or undisciplined football team.

Last edited:
It absolutely has to be a total purge. What does a continuity hire bring you? The same bad habits that the program is currently infected with. We need a fresh start with new blood.

If it’s anything but a completely new staff everyone at the top should be run off the hill. There is no other choice now thanks to JB hanging on to long. He has burned the bridge for his former players and coaches. There is no option but to go scorched Earth.

I did not expect to win. Honestly did not expect it to be close either, so result wasn't surprising. Sad to say.

Think it's pretty clear JB has no clue how to handle the rotations on this team. I do appreciate subbing in guards (no comment about Joe outside of yikes... yikes). I don't understand the JBA minutes (and I love him, the ENFORCER).

I like Taylor a lot. Definitely a player I want to see more of. Smooth jumper, composed player.

We are asking Judah to do so much. Way too much. Loved his dunk though. That's the athleticism we clearly had been lacking. Hopefully he can become a threat to shoot outside the paint because for this team it will be critical and for his own ceiling, it will be critical.

Jesse had a tough time navigating inside tonight, but he certainly was battling down there. Again, we ask so much of him. So sick of seeing such soft foul calls too.

3-4. Not ideal.
Not sure if they are asking to much of Judah or if (please excuse the expression) he's selfish, auditioning for the NBA. Definitely appears to be a shoot 1st pg. He doesn't set up his teammates.

JB’s offense is not going to work with this team. They actually have to be coached up. Some kind of continuity offense that moves five defensive players is a must. They are going to need to reverse the ball several times each possession to get good shots. They’re lucky to reverse the ball one time now. Someone needs to show Mintz what passing can do for an offense.

Not sure if they are asking to much of Judah or if (please excuse the expression) he's selfish, auditioning for the NBA. Definitely appears to be a shoot 1st pg. He doesn't set up his teammates.
He’s not a point guard. Another in a line of recruits that can’t play the point. How long has it been since we had a true point guard? What’s scary is there’s no reinforcements coming in next year. This is coaching malpractice.

Coaching is a hobby for JB now. He doesn’t have the drive needed to run a major college program. He’s coaching because he loves coaching, not that he wants to win championships.
he's trying to pad his win total. that's all he cares about now. unfortunately by doing so he's dragging down his winning % from respectable to routine. like a mad ahab after coach K's record he's willing to wreck this program to chase down his personal ambition. want the wins? fine. keep coaching. someplace else.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom