Postgame Thoughts... Louisville | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... Louisville

Losing control of yourself doesn’t make you care more than someone who has composure.
Back when he did a lot of our games and when I loved his commentary, Jay Bilas wrote a book and there was a section dedicated to “fake hustle” and “fake toughness”. Spazzing out when things don’t go your way in the middle of the game is a perfect example of it.

The guys who truly care about winning keep their heads and play with mental toughness.

Being a hotheaded crybaby is not tough. Time to grow up for the guy, that’s some junior high BS.

11 points, 4 rebounds and three assists between Bell and Taylor. Not too bad. SU has two road ACC wins and is 3-1 in conference.

36 turnovers - that has to be a record for something: an SU game, the Yum center, the state of Kentucky, ACC game, NCAA game, something.
Weirdly I remember a game at Kentucky in 95, where we had like 30 turnovers in a game that was actually competitive the whole way.

THAT ENDING LMAO! Pretty terrible basketball game. But... as they say.

But but...Louisville is 349 in NET ranking. This qualifies for one of the worst W's ever.

I like Taylor!

Props to ONIONS Girard.

Ajak "the enforcer" backdoor pass to Girard is unstoppable.
Joey was more consigliere than capo tonight.

Molto bene

I know that a lot of people are critical of JB for his rotations/substitutions this year (and every year, for that matter) but if Maliq and Taylor had both gotten more minutes tonight, maybe we don’t win… here are their stats from tonight. Maliq was a great big zero out there - and I like him - but how do you argue for more minutes tonight for a guy with that kind of stat line?

Bell: 19 minutes, 8 pts, 3 rebs, 2 asts, 1 blk, 1 to
Taylor: 21 minutes, 3 pts, 1 reb, 1 ast, 2 stls

Benny: 28 minutes, 3 pts, 3 rebs, 1 ast, 1 stl, 1 to
Maliq: 11 minutes, 1 to
Yeah, good point. But things usually seem to go better with Taylor. Brown has had a couple of cameos lately.

Back when he did a lot of our games and when I loved his commentary, Jay Bilas wrote a book and there was a section dedicated to “fake hustle” and “fake toughness”. Spazzing out when things don’t go your way in the middle of the game is a perfect example of it.

The guys who truly care about winning keep their heads and play with mental toughness.

Being a hotheaded crybaby is not tough. Time to grow up for the guy, that’s some junior high BS.
That’s just visible frustration directed towards himself - he didn’t lash out at anyone else- he tore his own Jersey.

I’m starting to grow concerned about Mintz spazzing at the end of close games.

I know he’s a freshman, but jeez. Think about what Gerry, Billy Edelin, and Flynn did at the end of close games as freshmen. Ennis too.

Guy can’t just keep turning the ball over on our last possession in one point games.

I hate the strategy of racking up fouls to simply burn a second off the clock. Judah got his 4th foul doing that. If this game goes to OT which it easily could have then we are screwed.
Start the fouling at 8 seconds.

I’m starting to grow concerned about Mintz spazzing at the end of close games.

I know he’s a freshman, but jeez. Think about what Gerry, Billy Edelin, and Flynn did at the end of close games as freshmen. Ennis too.

Guy can’t just keep turning the ball over on our last possession in one point games.
They all had far better talent around them to make things easier.

That’s just visible frustration directed towards himself - he didn’t lash out at anyone else- he tore his own Jersey.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone tear their own jersey like that in the middle of the game.

He’s gotten technicals, gotten into it with other players over stupid stuff…..there’s a fine line between being locked in and being out of control IMO, and he’s gotta figure out how to stay on the right side of that line.

They all had far better talent around them to make things easier.
Sure. None of them would’ve thrown the ball directly to the other team if the guy in the post was covered.

I think we had like 7 scholarship guys for much of Flynn’s freshman year through.

Great point, JB has to put Symir in the game for those giveaway fouls. You can’t have Judah and Joe racking up meaningless fouls at that point.
I didn't realize Symir didn't play tonight until you mentioned it. Interesting. Mintz and Girard play 40 minutes. 9 turnovers. 7 assists.

Nice to see guys like Ajax and Benny show emotion after a small messup. Shows they value every possession.

Bell+Benny. I kinda feel the better option would be Benny starting halves as a 3, and then showing a little 3+4 later in the halfs. Starting those two together takes us out of that element with no 4 and forces Judah to drive early than needed. Could make Bell a better scorer also. Not saying we should change just food for thought. It may sound crazy but I wonder what it would be like starting Copeland with no PF, or Ajax just in the first half maybe Bell in the second.

Last edited:
I know that a lot of people are critical of JB for his rotations/substitutions this year (and every year, for that matter) but if Maliq and Taylor had both gotten more minutes tonight, maybe we don’t win… here are their stats from tonight. Maliq was a great big zero out there - and I like him - but how do you argue for more minutes tonight for a guy with that kind of stat line?

Bell: 19 minutes, 8 pts, 3 rebs, 2 asts, 1 blk, 1 to
Taylor: 21 minutes, 3 pts, 1 reb, 1 ast, 2 stls

Benny: 28 minutes, 3 pts, 3 rebs, 1 ast, 1 stl, 1 to
Maliq: 11 minutes, 1 to
For Browns 8 points scored he gave up probably double, the lack of rebounds, losing rebounding battles with guys laying on their back, and the lack of anything other than a couple made wide open catch and shoots he is awful, not bad, but awful, one of the worst starters in the JB era.

Right. We’re dreadful.
Such a $hi+ commentary by all if I'm honest. Why even watch the games if you can't be happy after a tough win, I don't care who we were playing. A few of those guys were Top 25 players we lost in recruiting, they're not a team made up of scrubs.

Here's the thing...there are no great unbeatable teams in college bball this year. Lots of teams expected to be good are mediocre. Even good teams have some tough bad losses. We're 10-5, won 7 of 8, and people act like we suck. Teams that sucks lose tonight's game and a few others we won in the past month. We don't suck, we're not dreadful, we've got work to do. And we have a high ceiling and are getting much better when you zoom out and look at this team in 5 game chunks.

Such a $hi+ commentary by all if I'm honest. Why even watch the games if you can't be happy after a tough win, I don't care who we were playing. A few of those guys were Top 25 players we lost in recruiting, they're not a team made up of scrubs.

Here's the thing...there are no great unbeatable teams in college bball this year. Lots of teams expected to be good are mediocre. Even good teams have some tough bad losses. We're 10-5, won 7 of 8, and people act like we suck. Teams that sucks lose tonight's game and a few others we won in the past month. We don't suck, we're not dreadful, we've got work to do. And we have a high ceiling and are getting much better when you zoom out and look at this team in 5 game chunks.
I watch every game, and take every win. But we don’t have a high ceiling. Higher than last year, for sure. How do you define that, anyway?

Playing defense, rebounding, dunking, screening, boxing out….all overrated. Just spazz out when you mess up! So tough!!! So much PASSION!
Some would say, HARD NOSSSSED!

JB just has the forwards mis-matched. Bell and Benny can't be on the floor together at all. Both of them are terrible at positioning on defense and rebounding. Benny should play with Taylor and Bell should play with Brown or something like that.

When you say we have a high ceiling I’m curious to what that ceiling is, 20 wins?