Postgame Thoughts... NC State (ACCT) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... NC State (ACCT)

We have lots of offensive firepower on this team. If our center could just get rebounds and stop the opponent center from backing down to get a layup, it would be a huge plus. I think at this point, he has proven he is solid defensively and can get rebounds. The added benefit we get from playing Marek at forward instead of center really makes it attractive to play Jesse a lot,

I like that Jesse isn’t even fouling a ton (and this helps Marek avoid serious foul trouble).
At least Jessie can look Ruff in the eye.

We have lots of offensive firepower on this team. If our center could just get rebounds and stop the opponent center from backing down to get a layup, it would be a huge plus. I think at this point, he has proven he is solid defensively and can get rebounds. The added benefit we get from playing Marek at forward instead of center really makes it attractive to play Jesse a lot,

I like that Jesse isn’t even fouling a ton (and this helps Marek avoid serious foul trouble).
Completely agree - was thinking more about the future. Having a solid low post guy would really open things up, and make shooters like BB even more dangerous.

I actually sort of like the guy .. stupid little thing like him helping buddy up after he fouled him on the 4 point play ...
Agreed. I like the way the kid plays and hope JGIII can take a page out of his book in terms of effort and conditioning. He's (Beverly) not a great player but he's a solid contributor and does the right thing more often than not. Can't knock him for that.

He’s played double digit minutes in just four games this year, and has rebound totals of 8, 8, 8 and 6. Very glad he’s getting meaningful PT, it makes the team much better.

- Best all-around performance as a team all year, not close imo. Nice to.. .. .. .. make shots.

- To echo that point, 8 players and 8 contributors today. That matters.

- Buddy with an absolutely incredible first half.

- Jesse with valuable minutes first half. Joe with some great play as well. Important for both to contribute in this way.

- Braswell with some really nice to see buckets.

- SEND. IT. IN. MAREK.

- Edit and added- good job by Jim today.

Agree with these -- and a few more thoughts:

• Buddy has quietly become a solid passer. Obviously not his calling card but he's now at 61 assists through 21 games and he's gotten a little more creative this year. Seeing the floor a bit better. He's not Andy Rautins, per se, but he was at 1.7 assists/game in ACC play last season and he's at close to 2.9 assists/game in ACC play this season. Every little bit helps.

• One thing that helped today -- NC State didn't really look to shoot the three that much and the guys that seemed to be the most dangerous from there, Moore and Beverly, struggled defensively.

• Thought Griffin had a really nice defensive game and mostly played within himself offensively. No turnovers, 7 defensive rebounds (8 total), a couple key blocks nice rotations on the weak side in the paint and 5 assists. Really nice, well-rounded effort even if it was a little quiet (scored 9 until a three late after the game was long over).

• I say this every game, but Dolezaj's effort and unselfishness will be hard to replace. Drew what looked like a really painful charge late with the game already in hand, threw a few beautiful passes in unsettled situations to set up threes, hit Griffin on a nice backdoor cut ... His box score wasn't real impressive but he just does so many little things. Thought Buddy and Girard missed him a couple times on the roll to the hoop, which could have made his day that much better. I believe his only miss was a bunny as well.

• Thought Girard and Braswell hit key threes late in the second -- Braswell's from the corner at the end of the shot clock and Girard after a couple nice trips for NC State. Game wasn't all that close but I believe both pushed the lead back to 18 to keep it from getting even remotely interesting.

• Biggest positive overall is we played a solid team and a bunch of things didn't go exactly according to plan -- Guerrier played just 19 mins with foul trouble, Kadary was not good (maybe the injury), NC State had some success pounding us inside in each half -- but we won going away thanks to solid minutes from Bras/Edwards, Buddy getting white hot and good all-around games from Griffin/Dolezaj. That's a good sign and hopefully continues tomorrow.

• JB gets a lot of criticism here -- some of it valid. But the only reason you come out and win a game like that as impressively as we did is because the guy plays to win every single game. That can be frustrating when you want to see guys like Edwards or Newton or Bras or Anselem get more burn and, let's face it, occasionally he's wrong about guys and the Edwardses or Braswells should, in fact, be playing more (or Kadary). But it's also part of the reason that this team has some resiliency.

• Edwards has been great but his hands are a little bit of an issue. Hope he can improve there and work on the footwork aspect down low. Q could be a bit better there as well.

• Bottom line: great we actually got a hoops season. Hope we see this team in the dance. UVA is going to be tricky without a great creator (and with our best creator hobbled a bit). But who knows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom