Postgame thoughts... UNC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame thoughts... UNC

Killed us that griffin didn’t make one of those open threes down the stretch. Played with a bunch of heart on d and the boards but we need him to hit shots. For a stretch towards the end we were actually doing a good job of getting open looks too.

It’s going to take Sidibi weeks to get his legs under him. We need help inside.

I think this team has great potential still. But we’re going to have to scrape and claw to get there.

We actually have a center, he's hurt. Frank guess he's hurt too and hasn't gotten reps.

I think we beat those guys at the Dome.

Griff can sometimes make bad shots though, which in our offense is always a necessity.
I get it. Was just stunned to see those numbers. Didn't realize it while watching.

Let me hear it.

Admittedly I’m pretty PO’d at him for 2 plays that showed lack of effort toward the end. One was a rebound and the other was a layup on a fastbreak that our 6-5 defensive guard should at least think about blocking (it should have been sent 3 rows deep).

Joe was really good in the first part of the second half then melted down.

he was brought back in and was a negative on defense and did nothing on offense.
Watch the plays With unc on offense again, I just did. i don’t believe those would have occurred with Kadary on defense.

i don’t believe he was even close the reason we lost. I still believe Kadary needs to play more than him

Unless we rain 3s for 40 minutes, we’ve basically given up trying to compete with UNC because we don’t recruit actual centers or power forwards anymore.

That seems to align with our "we missed shots" philosophy of why we win/lose basketball games

Pretty good effort. Buddy was amazing in the first half. Carolina took him out of the second half, but I'm sure he got a few assists. Guerrier was outstanding. We just got big boyed again. No complaints about the players.

We played hard, we fought on the boards, we swarmed them. but they just had too many big guys with size who wore us down on their offensive boards. Edwards even got meaningful minutes when Marek got his 2nd foul in the first half.

I was very happy to see Karady get meaningful 2nd half minutes, and he played pretty well. Joe didn't take any truly awful shots tonight, and hit a couple good threes in the 2nd half. Griffin took a couple bad ones in the first half, but played a more controlled, and very solid 2nd half.
I liked that Rob Braswell seems to be a viable option at forward if Griffin is either out of control, or getting crushed on the boards (4 inch height difference with Braswell out there ...).

You know, we might have won this one, but at least this was a very good effort, we were right with them the whole game. I mean, they had 7 shots on that one possession, and after that, WE MADE A RUN of like 10 points.

So, props to the team, props to the coach. Very good effort that came up a bit short. A pretty enjoyable game to watch, too. Carolina's running game brings out the best in us, it lets us open up the floor, and get easy shots in transition. Their style suits us, if not for all the damn big men they have.
Good post. I also think people underestimate how big a deal it is for Bourama to be out. LGO.

we need a center.
the fact we are the ACC playing Marek like 35 mins at center is embarrassing
not faulting Marek. He’s not a center
Pre-game thought, during game thought and Post-game thought:

Why do we have 3 6'10" guys on scholarship and none of them can contribute in a game where we give up 20+ offensive rebounds???

Dumbfounding.
Hey at least 1 of them got a chance in the first half. Its kinda like the type of body they recruit isnt working, yet they just keep adding more of them and hope for a different result while they end up sitting on the bench. Whats that called?

I get our starting center is out and that’s a huge reason for tonight but 90% of the teams in college basketball have a serviceable backup center to play in his spot for 20+ minutes.

So yeah it's an excuse for this game but it's also BS and on JB that we're even in this situation to begin with. You can't miss on centers in four straight recruiting classes.

This was as embarrassing of a performance on the boards as I’ve ever seen

Joe was really good in the first part of the second half then melted down.

he was brought back in and was a negative on defense and did nothing on offense.
Watch the plays With unc on offense again, I just did. i don’t believe those would have occurred with Kadary on defense.

i don’t believe he was even close the reason we lost. I still believe Kadary needs to play more than him

UNC took control with Kadary in. Girard came in and didn’t make it better, but momentum was lost with Kadary in the game.

It’s cool to pick on Girard, but we haven’t got nearly what we need to of Dolezaj this year l. I know he weighs 200 pounds, but no excuse for the lack of production outside of rebounding.
Tough for him to do much on offense when he's usually got 4 guys surrounding him hunting for their own shots on the perimeter. He's open on almost every roll down the lane but no shot he's getting a look.

We’ve always never had a chance to matchup vs UNC ... that destruction in the ACCT last year the day before Covid ended sports was just some voodoo.

im not mad about tonight. I can’t even point out a player I’m upset with. It’s just a bad matchup for us and will always be. We only win this game of Buddy and Girard are on fire from 3

Gutty game with lots of heart. Unfortunately this team is suffering from a lack of leadership on court. None, and I mean NONE of our players can take their man off the dribble. Kadary is probably the best at it and he needs a lot of work. I always used to think JB stressed defense first when it came to playing time but obviously not anymore.

1610511484218.png

Good post. I also think people underestimate how big a deal it is for Bourama to be out. LGO.

This is a game he could have made a big difference. I totally agree with that. I was truly ecstatic that he gave one of the young big men a chance out there tonight in the first half. Going up against a team like that is going to pay dividends for Jesse in the future.

I get our starting center is out and that’s a huge reason for tonight but 90% of the teams in college basketball have a serviceable backup center to play in his spot for 20+ minutes.

So yeah it's an excuse for this game but it's also BS and on JB that we're even in this situation to begin with. You can't miss on centers in four straight recruiting classes.

This was as embarrassing of a performance on the boards as I’ve ever seen

Four? Its a lot more then that .

Let me hear it.

Admittedly I’m pretty PO’d at him for 2 plays that showed lack of effort toward the end. One was a rebound and the other was a layup on a fastbreak that our 6-5 defensive guard should at least think about blocking (it should have been sent 3 rows deep).

The 4 point play turnover/flagrant foul really hurt. The dribble it up and Jack a 3 without passing to anyone that’s a long rebound and foul on a layup the other way hurt. The drive and miss amongst the trees down 75-70 finished us off.

he drained the 2 good shots he took.

But, yet...he was 2-7. Because he took 3 shots that were basically turnovers. He’s gotta stop wasting possessions because he hasn’t shot in awhile.

UNC got the ball to the high post with Ka
Gutty game with lots of heart. Unfortunately this team is suffering from a lack of leadership on court. None, and I mean NONE of our players can take their man off the dribble. Kadary is probably the best at it and he needs a lot of work. I always used to think JB stressed defense first when it came to playing time but obviously not anymore.

View attachment 194525

UNC didn’t beat us with perimeter play. Kadary had that one steal. Good play. He didn’t do a ton else. UNC got the ball to the high post with relative ease regardless of the guards on the court, then they went to work in the paint.

Don't look now, but we may be one of the bottom 4 teams in the ACC before this is all over. We're down there with BC and Miami, ND. Who can we beat besides them? We are looking up from the bottom.

we need a center.
the fact we are the ACC playing Marek like 35 mins at center is embarrassing
not faulting Marek. He’s not a center
Does Sid count?

Pretty good effort. Buddy was amazing in the first half. Carolina took him out of the second half, but I'm sure he got a few assists. Guerrier was outstanding. We just got big boyed again. No complaints about the players.

We played hard, we fought on the boards, we swarmed them. but they just had too many big guys with size who wore us down on their offensive boards. Edwards even got meaningful minutes when Marek got his 2nd foul in the first half.

I was very happy to see Karady get meaningful 2nd half minutes, and he played pretty well. Joe didn't take any truly awful shots tonight, and hit a couple good threes in the 2nd half. Griffin took a couple bad ones in the first half, but played a more controlled, and very solid 2nd half.

I liked that Rob Braswell seems to be a viable option at forward if Griffin is either out of control, or getting crushed on the boards (4 inch height difference with Braswell out there ...).

You know, we might have won this one, but at least this was a very good effort, we were right with them the whole game. I mean, they had 7 shots on that one possession, and after that, WE MADE A RUN of like 10 points.

So, props to the team, props to the coach. Very good effort that came up a bit short. A pretty enjoyable game to watch, too. Carolina's running game brings out the best in us, it lets us open up the floor, and get easy shots in transition. Their style suits us, if not for all the damn big men they have.
JB was seeing if Joe could get hot from 3. I love Kadary and we are clearly way better on defense with him. But on offense they face guard him which really helps everyone else. They sag off Kadary but he’s a better passer/playmaker.

no problem with the subs tonight. AG was better defensively in the Second halfand has the potential to be hot from 3.

We will just never play well against this kind of size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom