Postgame thoughts... UNC | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame thoughts... UNC

Gutty game with lots of heart. Unfortunately this team is suffering from a lack of leadership on court. None, and I mean NONE of our players can take their man off the dribble. Kadary is probably the best at it and he needs a lot of work. I always used to think JB stressed defense first when it came to playing time but obviously not anymore.

View attachment 194525
I get your point but Q took his man multiple times

Here you go!!

Outplayed him? Did you notice that NC really could not make the interior pass when KR was playing on top?? JG's biggest liability is on defense. As soon as coach subbed JG in at the end, they passed right over the top of him twice to the post. They did that all game except the stretch when you had two 6'5 guys at the top. The zone is clearly more active and aggressive with KD and BB. Joe looks lost on Defense, that's where he hurts us the most
I’m waiting for the Kadary vs. JG debate because a) they weren’t the problem b) Kadary played plenty c) Joe outplayed Kadary (neither played particularly well)
n'

I watched this game closer than others. His minutes later in the 2nd half weren’t a net positive.
They’re gonna absolutely dare him to shoot and sag off

can you count someone who doesn’t play half the time? I feel for the kid, but we needed a backup plan to someone so injury prone
I thought they should have got Haas and have Sid come off the bench. Coaches didn't want to break seniority. Wouldn't have gotten Frank.

We desperately need Sid. It's just painful in a game like this watching Marek...I'd almost rather watch any of our three 140 pound 7 footers get reps.

I don't even know why as I don't think it ends up better, but I just kinda feel bad for Marek at this point and I'd prefer to be angry at those three (or maybe see some glimpses of hope) for being skinny and useless under the rim in a game like this. :)
Noticing that your exaggerated low weight of our centers goes down every game. 110 by next week? :cool:

Well I did say right now, plenty of time left but this team is so inconsistent shooting wise and without a center hard to feel great about it.

We need to get Sid back for sure.

UNC took control by scoring when Kadary was in on defense. We lost the lead with Kadary in the game and didn’t get it back. I like defense. Kadary’s steal was nice. Histwo other tipped passes and inability to deny the high post didn’t do much for us.
Has Joe ever denied the pass to the high post? That one play where he was clapping and saw a pass sail right by his mug was awesome.

I watched this game closer than others. His minutes later in the 2nd half weren’t a net positive.
No you didn’t, and you’re being intentionally ...

Did Richmond steal your girl or something?

I like him. I praised him a ton early in the season and called for him to get significant minutes. But the way the needle has swung is ridiculous. He’s nice, he’s not special. In this game in particular, at the middle-end of the 2nd half, our defense started getting roasted with him in. Our offense started going off the rails with him in. Did Joe make it better? No. Would keeping Kadary in have made it better? Probably not. But Joe gets all the blame. It’s stupid.

Carolina went on a 10-0 run once in the first and twice in the second. We tied all 3 of those.
Seemed like our defense got better when we went on runs.
Only thing bad about this game was the final outcome.
UNC was favored, at home (if that makes a difference this year), and had the match-up advantage. This loss, although frustrating because of the lack of execution in the last 4 minutes of the game, was not as upsetting as the loss to Pitt. Any team with a dominant big man is going to kill us, even if Sidibe comes back. Hopefully this team can play a halfway solid game against Pitt and go on a roll.

I’m waiting for the Kadary vs. JG debate because a) they weren’t the problem b) Kadary played plenty c) Joe outplayed Kadary (neither played particularly well)

I also don't think JG lost us the game.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I like Marek as a role player (certainly not 35 a game), but I'm ready for him to graduate. Some day he is going to look back and wonder why he wasn't more aggressive. I hate his soft approach so far this year. It seems like he has taken a step back. He should be able to exploit guys guarding him on d.

When Cuse couldn't grab a grad transfer at center I thought it would be another mediocre team. I hope some of you are right and that sids magic 6 games will translate to this season, but I wouldn't make that bet.

Griff needs time to improve his dribbling and hopefully his decision making.

I like him. I praised him a ton early in the season and called for him to get significant minutes. But the way the needle has swung is ridiculous. He’s nice, he’s not special. In this game in particular our defense started getting roasted with him in. Our offense startedgoing off the rails with him in. Did Joe make it better? No. Wouof keeping Kadary in have made it better? Probably not. But Joe gets all the blame. It’s stupid.
When Kadary starts jacking shots and causing transition the other way and commits flagrant fouls that cause multiple scores on a possession for the opponent he will get just criticism.

Yeah it’s too bad Kadary didn’t commit a flagrant foul when we were leading to give up the lead.

Joe played okay.

Kadary didn’t force shots and he was fine as well.
The main problem with Kadary is that until he can prove he can hit from outside on occasion defenses will sag off of him and we are playing 4 on 5.

The main problem with Kadary is that until he can prove he can hit from outside on occasion defenses will sag off of him and we are playing 4 on 5.

How dare you point out a flaw in Alsacs’ God

I like him. I praised him a ton early in the season and called for him to get significant minutes. But the way the needle has swung is ridiculous. He’s nice, he’s not special. In this game in particular, at the middle-end of the 2nd half, our defense started getting roasted with him in. Our offense started going off the rails with him in. Did Joe make it better? No. Would keeping Kadary in have made it better? Probably not. But Joe gets all the blame. It’s stupid.
Listen, I’m hoping for a guard rotation. In my mind, that means sitting buddy for a few minutes in the second half because he wasn’t helping anywhere. Kadary running the point with Joe off the ball may have actually worked in the second half. But Joe needs to be consistent with his effort on the defensive end, and stop with the ridiculous 25+ footers.

There is just no way you can blame Joe for tonight. We did the best we could with what we had. They had 4 guys over 6’11 and I think 3 of them were 5 stars. We only played 1 guy over 200lbs
I don't blame him but he had a fairly usual game. Play 30 mins and make 2 shots and had 2 nice assists. Also had a few brutal turnovers and played poor def.

When Kadary starts jacking shots and causing transition the other way and commits flagrant fouls that cause multiple scores on a possession for the opponent he will get just criticism.
Don’t forget to add in bad defense and aimless drives that always lead to turnovers.

The main problem with Joe is he can’t drive the ball and he jacks up a lot of bad shots.
Which cause transition the other way and he is a terrible defensive player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom