Postgame thoughts.. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame thoughts..

The way we roll, any time we make 2 3-pointers and win, I'll take that. But of course it does show how one-dimensional our offense seems to be at this point. Who's gonna go to the hole for us in games like this? I thought Griffin was our best bet for that type of thing, but now???
Kadary. But the coaches have to encourage him to attack the basket off the bounce. He can do it but he needs minutes.

I've never drunk the nepotism koolaid about Buddy, but I can't recall JB ever making a comment like this about him. And no, I'm not implying anything untoward, but I'd be interested to know if he was (a) asked about Buddy's play today, and (b) whether his response was in any way similar to what he stated here about AG.

Note: Just saw the above quote about "14 days off". Mmmkay.
I get why people always talk about this and you raise a good question. Personally, I never understand why anyone would think he would talk about his son the same way he talks about other players. It is human nature to treat his own son differently. I am confident that Buddy will have some great games again soon.

If Buddy is going to play 34 minutes in games like this we as fans have to understand it doesn’t matter anymore.
You can play poorly, not be a good defender but when you get tenure you get 34 MPG unless it’s a blowout.
Girard wasn’t great but he atleast did stuff to atleast justify playing him.

It’s not changing. JB is like the CFB playoff committee he will do whatever he wants that justifies what he thinks.

Yeah.

JB does Buddy a disservice when he is off.

And now we actually have other options. Definite cause for concern.

The less him and Joe are the back court the better. And if Joe is having a good game Buddy doesn't need 35.

Tonight noone should have actually thought we were going to lose though. Off night and we won and made plays down the stretch. No cause for concern.

Forget the centers. We have backups as good as the starters at the other spots. Unfortunately JB is clueless with what to do when that is the case. Plenty of year to work things out but I don't feel great that JB gets it right especially when his kids is in the mix.

I get why people always talk about this and you raise a good question. Personally, I never understand why anyone would think he would talk about his son the same way he talks about other players. It is human nature to treat his own son differently. I am confident that Buddy will have some great games again soon.
Agreed. When I was a kid, I played for my Dad in CYO bball & he rode me HARD in front of the team. I understood why he was doing it, so it didn't bother me that much. So I guess it can go both ways.

I agree that a person would not talk about their son that way but I do wonder why he had to play 34 minutes in a game we nearly loss, without any offensive or defensive help from Buddy? If he needs to get his endurance and skill level back up to par, do most of that in practice, not in game environment. When a player is having an off night, go to the bench, especially when we have some players that have displayed some skills in the first five games. I know it will never happen, and sorry for continuing to talk about it. End of discussion for me.

I think it needs to be hammered home more because it turns into “Buddy (Or Joe or Alan) will turn it around next game.” Then turns into Buddy debate,

this isn’t about them. These guys are who they are

the issue is when they are playing bad, they shouldn’t be playing. thats it. We have a bench and they need to be used. and If they are playing well, we’ll be winning...great!

It's encouraging to win a game where we get nothing from AG and Buddy. I think JG is moving much better on defense. He will never be good but with effort he is passable if he is making shots and doing stuff. I really liked having Kadary in there down the stretch. It shows Boeheim realizes he should play. I love what we are getting from QG and look forward to seem him against better teams. Playing Buddy at the 3 made no sense. I think he trusts Buddy more than AG to play within himself and not start chucking when they are both playing bad. I think he likes Woody but doesn't trust him enough in that spot. I doubt we have another game this year where both of them are playing this bad. Also he could only get away with it against a team of this size. It will not be an option going forward. We struggled but got the win which is good.

Yeah.

JB does Buddy a disservice when he is off.

And now we actually have other options. Definite cause for concern.

The less him and Joe are the back court the better. And if Joe is having a good game Buddy doesn't need 35.

Tonight noone should have actually thought we were going to lose though. Off night and we won and made plays down the stretch. No cause for concern.

Forget the centers. We have backups as good as the starters at the other spots. Unfortunately JB is clueless with what to do when that is the case. Plenty of year to work things out but I don't feel great that JB gets it right especially when his kids is in the mix.
I don't entirely agree. He played Kidary down the stretch of the last 5 minutes at least. He was up top so it was not Buddy and Joe up there. AG was struggling at one of the forward spots and his choice was play Buddy against an underized team or play Woody own the stretch of a close game. He probably wasn't ready to put Woody in that spot and was not comfortable with AG playing without forcing it.

Today's game is a game where tempo should be pushed at all opportunities and a chance to get subs some valuable time due to players getting winded. Then start riding the hot hand if there is one and rotate the others. They would be forced to use their bench for breathers as well, and it was evident when they lost their only ball handler that they did not have much of a bench.
Plus it was an odd start time, had no fans or much of a reason to get amped up when expected to win by double digits. No better way to get some energy going by pressing and pushing the ball up the court. Especially when the half court game was problematic and too slow, with no sudden unexpected movements or cuts to free themselves and a lot of standing around.

I haven’t been able to watch the game yet. But Kadary played 18 minutes and only scored 5 points and had 1 assist. That’s not good enough considering his skills. He’s hugely talented and needs to be more aggressive, including driving into the lane and attacking the basket. We need everyone to do more including him.
Kadary is slow to the ball and doesn’t stay in attack mode. He passed up opportunities to get to the rim. His anticipation is good, but he too gets beat off the dribble. He is also a non shooting threat on offense. Crowning him the starting point guard is very premature at this point. He can help us, but he’s not there yet. The one complaint we‘re not hearing is this team is a very good foul shooting team.

oof...he could say the same thing about someone else this game as well.

No wonder he wasn’t interested .. he was paying an excise tax apparently

The Marek - and other - short range misses hurt more than they appear in the box score.
I’m still not sold on Griffin - I mistakenly thought he’d be an instant replacement for Hughes, but it takes time to get comfortable and experienced in any new system.
Hughes had the redshirt year after ECU, and then two years at Cuse.
Coupled with Covid, I think it’s unfair to judge any new guys yet (anywhere not just ours).
KR is an outlier - again going beyond the box score, his basketball IQ, talent and instincts actually saved us again today.

We need to figure out how to score when the 3s aren't falling. I don't buy the "so-and-so won't have this bad a game again" takes. We absolutely will see everyone in this rotation have horrible games this season. Sometimes 2 or 3 or 4 will simultaneously have bad games. We need to find a way get a few easy buckets when this happens. I'm not saying it's a simple thing to solve, but it seems critical. Scoring 62 against Northeastern is ghastly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom