Postgame Virginia Thoughts… | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Virginia Thoughts…

Wildhack has to put an end to these press conferences. It’s becoming embarrassing. We’d get a better flavor for what happened if you just brought players to the pressers. I’m surprised he didn’t blast the fans for not coming out during a pandemic.

JB needs to “retire.” Enough is enough.

Our defense stinks. Worst interior defense of the JB era. Easy layups and unguarded free throw line jumpers. Bennett had his team prepared and they executed. Swider is the most over-rated shooter I can remember. Misses open look after open look. It's criminal that Edwards gets only 5 shots in 31 minutes. This guy should be fed. He can score. He can make FTs when fouled. It would open up outside shots. Doesn't happen.

Here's what's going to happen.

Joe's a townie. He's playing two more seasons.

We have no scoring next season, outside of Edwards, but he's dependent on someone getting him the ball for the most part.

Joe's going to average 20+ next season because there's legitimately nobody else that will get shots.

We're going to be really bad, but Joe is going to score.

And in that bonus year, he's going to have his sights set on Lawrence Moten.

Just wait.

Virginia made the extra pass and knocked down tough shots like they were free throws. Felt like it was no big deal they went in. thats true ice water. whoever said they are not good offensively is wrong. We were picked to be that level of efficiency preseason.
their stats against other teams are not good. they make open shots and pass well but they have likely zero nba players and will not make the ncaa tourney from the looks of it. this defense made colgate look like they were going to the final four, mind you...giving up a hundred burger. colgate

One time just once I would love hear JB say “you know what I didn’t put them in position to win”. He’s always the smartest guy in the room and no accountability ever. I drink the kool aid every preseason BC of what I hear and see and I had high hopes for this team. But good lord how about an offense? How about ball movement ? The system doesn’t work and you can’t be this stubborn that you refuse to change. This team could have possibly matched up with them man to man. Colgate too. Some of the other teams but nope let’s have everyone get wide open looks and pray that miss and that equates to good defense.

Long story short, it’s just not fun
I don’t even understand the offense now. A high ball screen with the center who doesn’t actually set the screen?

Here's what's going to happen.

Joe's a townie. He's playing two more seasons.

We have no scoring next season, outside of Edwards, but he's dependent on someone getting him the ball for the most part.

Joe's going to average 20+ next season because there's legitimately nobody else that will get shots.

We're going to be really bad, but Joe is going to score.

And in that bonus year, he's going to have his sights set on Lawrence Moten.

Just wait.
I forgot he has more than next year….

Here's a stat for everyone.

After tonight's game, Jimmy Boeheim is averaging 34.2 minutes/game for the season.

In 2019-20, if you take out Jimmy's last four games when his minutes went down due to injury, he averaged 33.6 minutes/game for Cornell.

That edition of the Big Red was 7-20 overall and 4-10 in the Ivy League.

Happy new year!

I don’t even understand the offense now. A high ball screen with the center who doesn’t actually set the screen?
And the dribbler now has a double team and could never get it to the center anyway, there is zero logic behind it even if it worked 30 percent if the time.

Here's a stat for everyone.

After tonight's game, Jimmy Boeheim is averaging 34.2 minutes/game for the season.

In 2019-20, if you take out Jimmy's last four games when his minutes went down due to injury, he averaged 33.6 minutes/game for Cornell.

That edition of the Big Red was 7-20 overall and 4-10 in the Ivy League.

Happy new year!
He improved a lot during the off year?

That’s all I got.

And the dribbler now has a double team and could never get it to the center anyway, there is zero logic behind it even if it worked 30 percent if the time.
It’s like JB is trying to recreate a full court press break offense in the half court

Jimmy’s 60% from the line this year drives me bonkers
His shot goes in the clouds is what irks me. Maybe if he had some kind of soft touch, but his shot is far from soft.

4/5 starters need to be 'on' or we are going to lose.

But its not like we were blown out tonight. Next few games are winnable and we have pretty good resume metrics. I don't think winning 4 of the next 5 is a stretch.

Its just a shame that this years team with a couple of the guys we ran off would have been very good and atop the ACC.
The problem is we’ve taken a bandaid approach for several years with this team. We can’t keep saying, well, if we can win the next two or if we just tighten up the defense or if we just make a few more shots.

There’s a larger issue.

The longer it goes I keep thinking I know...but honestly I don’t.

Is it because JB is so infatuated with shooting? Is it simply because JB has his set lineup and doesn’t want to see another lineup possibly lose? Is it because he wants to prove people that suggest Joe isn’t a Pg wrong?
Your last point is the winner. Jim will fail with Joe before he will ever admit he screwed up.
Im sure someone will point out some fact that proves Joe is doing well but a blind man can see that he simply isnt a PG. Hes a 2 and probably a pretty good one. I feel badly for him as he is actually getting worse with each game. The more Joe presses to be a pg the more he fails. Tonight was his worst game this year.

After watching this team and thinking about previous years, what happened to toughness? What happened to the rick Jackson, cooney, Arinze dig it out of the dirt type of guys ? These teams lately have been so soft. If you’re gonna lose, at least battle hard. Stop getting stripped of the ball 10 times a game. Stop pretending to close out on shooters. There is legit zero intensity on this team and that’s the stuff that JB doesn’t preach anymore because he’s 1000 years old. I just really wish I could see some grit

I just watched half of the press conference. I cannot believe the university allows JB to talk to the media the way he does. I know Donna well and she is literally one of the nicest people ever and just kindly asks for him to elaborate and he is so condescending. He’s starting to become an annoying representative for the program when he thinks he can talk to anyone the way he wants. I need a drink

I just watched half of the press conference. I cannot believe the university allows JB to talk to the media the way he does. I know Donna well and she is literally one of the nicest people ever and just kindly asks for him to elaborate and he is so condescending. He’s starting to become an annoying representative for the program when he thinks he can talk to anyone the way he wants. I need a drink
I thought he treated Waters horribly as well.
Waters asked about the defense and he just wanted to basically say everything short of who the bleep do you think you are Mike.
When Mike knew the shooting percentages by half JB wanted to basically say go bleep off.

JB doesn’t need to do these PCs. They are supposed to be for fans and we don’t need them.

I thought he treated Waters horribly as well.
Waters asked about the defense and he just wanted to basically say everything short of who the bleep do you think you are Mike.
When Mike knew the shooting percentages by half JB wanted to basically say go bleep off.

JB doesn’t need to do these PCs. They are supposed to be for fans and we don’t need them.
I’m listening to Axes post game, going to listen to Jim next, I’m intrigued now.

JB does and says as he pleases, with zero repercussions. It's not right, but that's the way it is, and will be - hopefully, for not much longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom